Evernote Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Evernote CEO Chris O’Neill
Chris O’Neill

Pros
  • For the most part, good work/life balance for a startup (in 13 reviews)

• Collaboration, excellent developers, amazing catered lunches, lots of social events, promising new CEO (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Personal growth, optimism, collaboration"

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

Evernote is on the right track. New leadership. We've had lots of hiring and new capable colleagues bring in lots of experience. New projects are aligned to make Evernote more profitable. Smiles and fun in the workplace again.

A few years ago it seemed like the best was behind us, but new leadership has brought focus and projects that make sense, rather than distractions. New CEO and leadership are very collaborative and consult (and listen to) staff on direction. The environment feels entirely "open" compared to previously.

Professional and personal development is encouraged. Quarterly goals include requirement for learning or practicing new skills. There are dozens of Evernote Academy courses each quarter to learn floral arrangement, wine tasting, leadership skills, or how to travel smart at Disneyland.

Free Caltrain, shuttle from SF, bikes for around town, electric car charging. Subsidized massages. Free boxing, gym, boot camp.

Cons

We're still digging out from a backlog of old projects that we need to eliminate or that need to get completed. Old bugs and hacks in the code need to be improved. Some useless projects need to be shut down.
    Lots of staff rearrangement as projects are reorganized. It would be nice to have more consistency.
    Can't do anything with the stock until a liquidity event.
    No 401k matching yet.

Advice to Management

It feels like you're on the right track. Keep open lines of communication with staff for insight and ideas. Encourage professional development so staff stick around and bring new skills to the job.

Evernote Response

Jul 26, 2016 – SVP, People

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and for keeping an open mind about our future! Keep us honest about remaining transparent and keeping communication lines wide open, we ... More

2. "Great culture and spirit"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

- true feedback culture in the management team.
    - focus is back. The company stopped doing to many things, which is great

Cons

- sometimes very early or very late meetings and calls due to the international setup of the company
    - however, enough flexibility to plan the own day.
    -not very good at dealing with constant underperformers and truly negative people.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on a few things. Deal with truly negative people in a professional but effective way. It still happens that good people leave because the company did not deal with very negative people who then affect the happiness of others.

"Excellent workplace. A few flaws."

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

Dynamic workplace with very kind people
    High impact / High stakes in a good way since the app is used by millions around the world
    Very fulfilling and challenging environment
    Good salary/perks/benefits

Cons

Work can easily become stressful around rollout time
    Many different and diverse technologies used between each team makes collaboration not as efficient at times
    Building user base with new features while keeping product lean is a tough balance to strike for all employees working on the product

Advice to Management

Make sure that any proposed changes that are made to the app are well researched and well defined in its purpose. Force QA and dev teams to do more thorough inspections of code and changes to prevent any rollout issues in the future.

"Really nice place to work"

Former Employee - Localization Project Manager in Moscow (Russia)
    Former Employee - Localization Project Manager in Moscow (Russia)

I worked at Evernote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Simple and transparent workflows
    2. Nice people
    3. Employees are treated with respect
    4. Nice perks, lovely office

Cons

Career growth opportunities are very little
    Reorgs and office closures in recent past

Advice to Management

Make Windows client work fast.

"Culture. Culture. Culture."

Pros

Incredible work culture with a very open environment.
    Help is there whenever you need it.
    Great perks (food, gym, etc.) and people.

Cons

Roughly 300 people catering to a product that now has registered users in the hundred millions is a daunting task. User base is very outspoken about suggested features and being able to execute on those to satisfy all users can be difficult, especially since we don't have a massively large engineering team.

Advice to Management

Listen to the user base and adjust if need be, particularly if a feature is in high demand by the user base. Consider an expansion of the QA team to prevent any more rollout issues in the future.

"Customer Support Team"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Evernote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits package.

Cons

None. The company is a delight to work for.

Advice to Management

I worked full time on the Support Team and it was literally the best job I ever had. Sadly, I had to leave for family reasons as Evernote does not allow employees to work remotely. I admit, I was a bit distracted with personal things going on outside of work that hindered my performance a bit, but I feel if I was given the opportunity to work remotely with occasional home office benefits, my performance would have improved. My manager can speak for me that I truly wanted to help our users, but had difficulty finding the balance between accomplishing that and my time outside of work. Evernote was the official note taker for the Workplace Track at SXSW this year and one conference they attended was the benefits of working remotely. I thought that was odd since not everyone is given the opportunity to work remote unless you were grandfathered in when this was an option many years ago. I would take my job back in a heartbeat if Evernote allowed support staff to work remote. I love Evernote and have no negative things to say about it. I miss my team and our users. I hope in Evernote's future that they embrace working remotely and can setup resources to allow this to happen. Evernote will continue to grow and the small Austin space will fill up sooner or later. Chris has taken the company in a great direction from our previous CEO and I have faith in him.

"Great company"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

Inclusive for every employee. They want you to be successful

Cons

Still growing with lots of bugs

"Overall nice place to work"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

- Company is moving in a promising direction
    - Overall committed people
    - Transparent culture

Cons

- Pretty high turnover
    - Product roadmap needs more work

Advice to Management

- Sometimes I think we are not paying enough attention to user feedback

"Marketing"

I worked at Evernote full-time

Pros

Great group of dedicated people (note there has been significant turnover in the last few years).

Cons

Growing pains of a mid-stage startup.

"Great Place to Start"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

Evernote is a great company to work for overall, but especially to start a career. Beautiful office, catered lunches, gym, dental, etc. Brand is known all over the world so opportunities for high exposure also exist. Overall very fun, challenging, and engaging company to work for.

Cons

While Evernote is a great company to start, there are a few significant drawbacks. First, since the company is very small (roughly 300 people) there is very little room for growth.
    Not enough developers for a gigantic codebase and product that is frequently used by a large amount of our users.
    At times it can seem like a revolving door in terms of personnel turnover.

Advice to Management

Hire more QA personnel and revamp our QA testing protocols. Hire more developers - we need more help.