Everything But Water Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 20, 2017

2.0
Sheila Arnold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great discount on beautiful items (in 10 reviews)

• Great experience with Customer service (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time sales/keyholders can't ever go over 30 hours a week (in 9 reviews)

• horrible management, cares little investment of employees, does not communicate with upper management and lower management (in 8 reviews)

1. "This might be exactly what you're looking for but be careful about your expectations for this job."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Everything But Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When your store is staffed and you're making plan, it's not terrible

-40% off merchandise in home store only
    -During season the shifts fly by
    -My Manager is the absolute best, she bends over backwards to try to make this place work for us

Cons

This company is a huge corporation with all of the drawbacks and few of the perks. In my time here I've only witnessed the slashing of benefits not the addition of any.

-This is retail! Be ready to work weekends and holidays. We're open xmas eve, and someone has to be there. This is technically a con but it's the nature of the job so it's the one thing on this list I don't consider directly a result of having cheap company owners.

-40% off used to be company wide, but that was reduced to home store only. So if you were traveling or you wanted to shop around your district and learn new product, you could. Now, if you don't fit the typical demographic of your store, you have little to choose from. Super shady and underhanded how they took that away too, one day we could use our benefits in every store like normal and the next we all have to sign new versions of the handbook and I found one sentence, snuck into a 34 page handbook about home store only policy. My DM didn't even realize it at first and had to double check for us when we asked but came back and said yeah it was going to stick.

-No longer allowed a fridge or microwave for breaks. I've never in my years worked somewhere that couldn't handle small appliances but without warning we had to get rid of them. Now we are expected to work anywhere from 4-8 hour shifts with only cold or processed food. It's been like a week and I'm already sick of salad and yogurt and you don't get paid enough to eat out every day. This is something of a last straw for people that were considering a career move. It might not seem like a big deal but it affects you literally every day.

-Healthcare and PTO benefits have both been revised to the detriment. Also could you make this stuff any harder to understand?

-A lot will be asked of you. You need to have super open availability to be a key holder, you could work anywhere from 5-37 a week depending on the time of year and how staffed your store is. Don't expect this to pay your bills, this job has no guaranteed work hours except for full time. Please don't think I'm kidding about the 5 hours, I've seen the off-season weekly matrix hours of another store be slashed to 98! That means that the manager has to take 40, the assistant was cut back to 36 (as low as she could go) and there were 22 hours left to be spread around the staff, it was insane.

-You live in a catch 22. The way this job works, you need a 2nd one to survive but the scheduling makes it so hard to work with another company. This place would rather have you on 4 days of 4 hour shifts than 2 days of 8 hour shifts because they only really want you there when they think it will be busy. And we get schedules weekly. Like I get my schedule on Wednesday or Thursday for the next week that starts in 3 days.

-Turnover rate is high because of any number of reasons above and our managers are expected to recruit around (literally soliciting) to other businesses and try to steal their employees to keep the store staffed.

Advice to Management

I would be incredibly surprised to learn that the owners of this company care about what I have to say but if they ever look I do have some advice.

-If you couldn't tell, I'm upset about the discount. That was the one thing that kept SAs and Key Holders around once they learned what would be expected of them. It encouraged employees to drive to other stores and expand their knowledge of EBW. To do try-ons of brands they don't carry and share that experience with their team to drive web sales. I used to be able to direct people to other locations I knew carried a better selection of "fill in the blank" so web shy customers could try on what they wanted.

-Get my DM an administrative assistant before they have a mental breakdown. They have to spend so much time micromanaging the details they don't have enough to focus on what matters and important stuff falls through the cracks.

-Maybe crack a psych textbook? Learn about the power of positive reinforcement. I understand that this is a business and you're trying to make the most amount of money possible but think about what your stingy policies are doing to your own bottom line. People work harder for companies that they respect and that ultimately equals more money for you.

2. "Sales associate"

I have been working at Everything But Water part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super easy, small company, great for a part time job if you're a student because you won't be able to get over 30 hours

Cons

If you need a REAL job to pay bills, this will not work for you. Even if you have a degree, you won't get a decent pay nor more that 30 hours.

Advice to Management

Show your employees you appreciate them by actually paying them more. Then maybe you'll have less of a turnover rate

3. "Impractical Policies"

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Everything But Water part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is 40% which is pretty good and the products we sell are amazing! If you're in the right store your coworkers hopefully all get along and it's a good environment at the store level.

Cons

Beyond actual coworkers you interface with in the store, the policies that they've created are completely unreasonable. The dress code being one of them, all attire must be black or white. all the pants must be loose fitting and you are not allowed to wear any sort of jeans or khaki so you basically have to buy loose or wide leg dress pants, if you wear a dress it must come down to your knees and if it's above your knees you have to wear opaque black tights or leggings with it. Additionally, even though you work on ladders all day moving stock, rebuilding large metal fixtures or getting things for customers in high places, they do not allow you to wear sneakers which I believe is actually an OSHA nonconformance. When I first started working there I actually did one time lose my balance on a ladder because I was wearing dress flats and almost fell off the ladder but managed to sort of jump off of it in a way where I landed on my feet. Not to mention I dropped a manikin that came centimeters from landing on a customer, definitely not safe! Secondly, when I was hired as a part-time worker the selling point was that they told me I would have a very flexible schedule and be able to take time off when I needed it seeing as how I had another full-time job. This is not the case at all, every time I try to take time off my request is denied. They've told me it's part of the job and that they don't have to give me any time off if they don't want to, and I honestly question that we Galagi of that seeing as how they don't offer me any benefits and what not as a part-time worker.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain good people create an environment we're good people want to be retained.

4. "Needs Improvment!"

I have been working at Everything But Water part-time

Pros

Styling customers and making them feel good about themselves

Meeting new friends

Cons

No commission or competitive pay for part timers, but you make the company thousands of dollars a week. This is very discouraging, and will make employee retention a problem in the long run. Managers and Assistant Managers receive incentives when the "team" makes goal for contests. This is unfair, when every associate contributes to this contest, and wins for the store.

There are no applications available online. People must come in to fill out applications.

"GO GREEN", its 2017, there is too much paper being used on a daily basis, to print reports ect. Created an online database. Update store computer/software regularly.

No benefits for part-time workers (who at times are working close to full-time hours), and the health benefits packages for full time workers are extremely high and over priced. No tuition reimbursement or small scholarships offered to employees. This is a huge negative, being that a lot of young people work for the company.

Over worked and under compensated, do not expect to be paid well, but expect to be pushed to the max to make the company goals and receive nothing in return. You rarely get a "Thank You for all of your hard work"

You can only use your employee discount at the store you work for, and you cannot use it for online purchases.

More time needs to be given to managers for entry training. The company focuses too much on employees using the manual instead of hands on training. Everything is not in the manual, and therefore you have employees making mistakes with no knowledge to fix them. Managers become frustrated, and employees feel bad.

Management pushes part timers to help recruit new people, because they are forced to. The company will not hire professional recruiters. This is stressful for stores who lose associates in season and don't have time to hire or the means to find replacements because of business demands. You are not compensated for recruitment efforts. This is free labor.

Long hours, if your team is under staffed. A better work-life balance is needed.

If you are part-time, there is no incentive for working for this company.

You must wear black and white, for a company that seems to be "colorful" in nature with merchandise, color should be introduced to the staff wardrobe.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly and offer some sort of commission in addition to the base pay. Especially, if you have people who come into the company with experience.

Make it so that the employee discount can be used at any location and for online purchases. Online carries items that are not available in stores and plus sizes in brands that are not carried in store. Make it an equal shopping opportunity for everyone.

Hire at least one recruiter per district, or a temp agency that the company works with to find personnel. This will allow management more time to train incoming staff. Recruiting is a stand alone job, if managers and employees have to recruit there should be some sort of compensation for their work. Also, make your application available online, this will make it easier for prospects to apply. Most people go online and apply to jobs, with EBW not having this option people are less likely to apply.

Praise those who make goals, and go above and beyond their goals. Have quarterly lunches or dinners to celebrate OR give gift cards or a higher discount to those employees who perform well to use within a year of receipt. Some sort of reward/incentive system should be implemented. This will build better rapport with employees and make them feel appreciated. Employee appreciation is important, study other employers who have great ratings because of this!

Introduce color into staff wardrobe. We work in swim wear, make it fun!

5. "Informative but Pressured"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sanibel, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sanibel, FL

I worked at Everything But Water part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, customers, generous discount, great store location

Cons

Not paid enough, payroll couldn't afford entire staff at times, unrealistic sales goals

Advice to Management

Treat your staff nicely

6. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Everything But Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff and discount.
    Amazing product

Cons

Low wages, poor executive management, unrealistic sales plans.

Advice to Management

Listen to your stores feedback.
    Don't play favorites.
    Don't blindside your staff.

"Great product Not so great work environment"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Everything But Water full-time

Pros

Fabulous product and great customer service.

Cons

For managers there is a very few weekends off and you are expected to do a Lion's Share of the work with less than average pay. We have very little say in how our store is set up, and run. It is difficult to get just the basic things for your store without having to go through several different people people. It takes weeks or months to get simple things like an inventory issue resolved. District manager has no answers or suggestions, just blames and gives out negative energy. No payroll hours and very low bonus

Advice to Management

There is too much product flooding the stores. Give pay raises to your managers because they do most of the work and bring in most of the money to the company. Upper management needs to contact the manager directly to Ask their feedback not for it to be funneled through the district manager. Give more hours or hire less employees. There's no reason why someone should have to work a 3 hour shift or 10 hours a week. Doing so does not promote loyalty and only promotes a high turnover rate.

8. "Favoritism at its finest"

Pros

I loved my coworkers. There was a lot of leeway in what happened while at my home store. I think maybe other locations were more strict. Easy going company, DM was easily accessible.

Cons

Although DM was accessible, she talked bad behind everyone's back. She was unprofessional and rude sometimes. They want to "promote within," they actually talked about how they wanted everyone gone. Customers were snobby and rude. Inventory requests were not consistent on what they store location needed or sold the most of. Some of my former coworkers had an EBW hate party.

Advice to Management

Find another position, one where you don't need to talk to people because you are demeaning.

"So much potential..."

I worked at Everything But Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount on beautiful items.
    Making operational a visual standards universal, which is AWESOME.
    Great stepping stone for management.
    Wonderful customers. It's great to see how much you help someone, doing their least favorite thing.
    Heavily invested in role playing material and product knowledge.

Cons

The stepping stone thing, it's only to gain a title, but won't actually prepare you for what that title would mean in any other company. So beware if you think you can just go somewhere else with that same title.
    Erratic attempts at universal planning, which can mess with scheduling.
    Not enough guidance and trust given to core management within stores.
    Bonus structure for anyone not an assistant or above is laughable and patronizing.
    Base pay is equivalent to low end retailers that give a thousand times more leniency on self expression. Recruiting is grueling because of this and makes me think this company doesn't know it's competition in the labor world.

Advice to Management

Store Managers don't have the ability to run their stores. It's one of the reasons this is a good stepping stone, but not something you want to hang on to if you intend to grow, learn, and eventually move-up. Store manager is where the buck stops anyway. There is no growth potential beyond that, unless the company decides to make a regional position, which is really what the current DMs are, along with the added work of managing every single detail of every solitary store because the company is scared to death to have real managers actually managing their stores.
    DMs are extremely overworked, and handling small store issues that really could be handled at a store level. They should be there for guidance and helping the store manager grow, but oftentimes are stuck managing the minutiae of multiple stores. Because of that minor things turn into major things that affect business because they fall through the cracks. One person cannot possibly handle all of that on their own. We have amazing DMs doing great work, but they are not super human. More responsibility to Store Managers is definitely needed.
    They really should have a means of tracking employee sales online. When you have a bonus structure based on the percentage of sales you contribute, it seems wholly unfair that associates don't get credit for using every tool at their disposal. It also creates a situation where certain employees will forego the policy of checking the Web first because they don't get credit. This just leads to taking inventory from other stores and possible distribution issues.
    At this point, only two employees per store can now make $42 in bonus a month. And considering most employees are battling not just their peers, but management, it's simply viewed as a lost cause to them. It's not even worth the blood and sweat it would take to beat them. Battling people who have at least twice the hours as you have for the same honey pot? That is not a morale booster, and don't think for one second this is lost on them. Assistant and Store Managers already make a bonus. They don't need extra bonus. Make them focus on molding their teams, and succession planning. If they are doing what they're supposed to, they aren't losing money. They'll make a better bonus through the hard work of their staff, who is now super excited to share in the reward and feel proud. There is something to be said of investing in your staff. This is about the long haul, in high end retail, which is declining at a rapid pace. And the number one thing each retailer that folded did was cut from their labor. It's a vicious cycle of implosion.
    Recruiting? So you have the bonus structure going against you because every single solitary retailer out there has a far better one, with a better starting pay to boot. And that's pretty bad because everyone out there is feeling the heat. You also have to try and beat out other retailers who are more liberal with their dress code. If you're going to be that strict, give uniforms and be done with it. People tend to accept uniforms more easily than super strict dresscodes. Also, even retailers with uniforms have accepted that people will have piercings, tattoos, and trendy hairstyles. Considering the clientele that you're after, I'm not really sure why you would think it's a good idea to stifle even the smallest bit of expression, down to how to wear your make-up. Have you looked at what you sell? Do you even know your client? Do you think your biggest client is in her 80s and yelling for the youngsters to get off their lawn? Um, no. And I think you know that too, based on the beautiful, unique, and eye catching items you sell. You're client wants to feel as beautiful and unique as the swimsuits and resortwear you sell so why would you try to make your staff as unimpressive and blank as possible? Not to mention, you're losing amazing sellers, based on an archaic idea and probably your own biases, to other retailers who realize talent comes in all shapes and sizes.

"Went WAY Downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN

I worked at Everything But Water (More than 3 years)

Pros

-really great regular customers
    -busy seasons are fun
    -fun seeing new collections come out
    -decent wages
    -great selling program

Cons

Corporate employees are terrible. This used to be a really cool company to work for and as of lately it's gotten really terrible. The way they treat long term employees is super shady. No one in corporate cares for anyone but themselves and will throw anyone and everyone under the bus to make themselves look better. They are completely out of touch with their stores management and at the same time don't empower managers to make even the most basic decisions like hiring a staff. The stores frequently have not enough product and it's never the product that stores actually need. But of course corporate blames everything on their store managers. It's such a shame because it used to be such a fun company that treated their people really well.

Advice to Management

Your company is only as good as the employees that are in your stores daily. Learn to respect them and actually listen to them. They know what they are doing, half the time better then any of you.