KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated Jun 16, 2022

Found 45 of over 56 reviews

2.7

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "There are a handful of people doing this work for all the right reasons and the benefits are good.(in 6 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great atmosphere

Jun 16, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work and make connections

Cons

Workload can be a bit much

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee

Awful experience - upper mgmt had no experience

Mar 7, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice location, great perks, when we wanted a happy hour, we'd just send a fundraising email to pay for it.

Cons

The most confident and inexperienced people would thrive and rise through the ranks. High turnover of quality employees.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not great for development

Jan 5, 2022 - C N A
    Business Outlook

Pros

The staff at ET are very committed to a great cause. Benefits are good.

Cons

Too heavy organization with little room for professional or career development

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good organization, lack of strong upper leadership.

Jul 29, 2021 - Research Fellow in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, very dedicated and highly knowledgeable about their field.

Cons

Upper leadership tends to make unilateral decisions/ignore concerns from volunteers and those working in the field. Real implementation of DEI can be lacking.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0

Don't do it

Jul 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I met a few amazing and talented people

Cons

Working at Everytown is similar to being in an abusive relationship. I do not take that statement lightly - I have experienced my fair share of abusive and manipulative relationships and I previously worked for a domestic violence and sexual assault crisis center. Everytown as an organization and Everytown’s management really meet all the criteria. On the outside, (white) people love Everytown. Everytown has carefully created a brand of “gun violence prevention” that gun owners and non-gun owners want to stand beside, under the guise of “protect the children”! When you tell others where you work, you might hear comments like, “thank you for doing this important work”. But on the inside it’s a nightmare. I believe the folks who have positive things to say about the organization (at this point) are either a.) a part of the problem or b.) leave before they take off their rose-colored glasses. Similar to an abusive relationship, at first Everytown is appealing, great benefits, it pays more than most non-profits, work-sponsored travel, free branded swag, use of the word “team” so often heard that you really believe for a moment that you are in a warm and welcoming work environment, that cares about ending gun violence and your well-being. All the warm and fuzzies, until little by little, things change. Albeit there is a massive discrepancy in how you are treated based on your department and manager. If you are searching for a job within the Field Department, this will absolutely be applicable to you, should you choose to work at Everytown after reading through these reviews. The Field Team is paid the least within the organization, this team includes the SURVIVORS OF GUN VIOLENCE, Moms Demand Action, and Students Demand Action. There is cliquey energy within this team with the white women who have been around “since the beginning” aka since a white woman who had absolutely no connection to Sandy Hook decided to “take action” via Facebook and later profit massively from it. Spoiler alert: these women are now managers/directors and are part of the reason why talented staff leaves, especially staff of color. The Field is “leading the racial justice work” in the organization, with emphasis on how volunteers need education, with no intention of addressing it internally. The only reason why some race-based conversation happened was because George Floyd was murdered and it made the organization look “woke”. It’s hypocritical on the inside and the outside once you start paying attention. The point of Field leading DEI work is used to gaslight Field staff seeking greater change. The actions that happened following George Floyd’s murder were also used to gaslight staff because “look how much has changed” or “this is the most change I’ve seen in the 7 years I have been here” and “change takes time.” If you are working for the Political team, Federal team, and some of Law & Policy team, you will definitely make more money, and will likely be just fine if you are a white man. There is a lot of Ol’ boys club energy and culture between the white men, who all definitely protect and uplift one another. They seem to be immune from consequence or feedback and people tiptoe around them out of fear of disrupting the status quo and losing their job. There is a general culture of working hard “for the cause” which looks like overworking employees, with tasks and responsibilities that are impossible to accomplish in a 40 hour work week. Gun violence prevention is used to justify this continued treatment (gaslighting) and if you can’t keep up then you just are doing enough “self-care”. In addition to the long hours, over time your managers will continuously add on responsibilities, including tasks that you might have no expertise in executing. Some examples: A group of white people should not be responsible for creating anti-racist trainings for the organization and volunteer base; non-clinicians should not be creating trauma-informed trainings; managers with absolutely no experience should not be claiming “conflict resolution” approaches when they have never participated/won’t pay for legitimate conflict mediation; and department managers talking about characteristics of white supremacy when they have no intention of changing the white supremacist culture and policies that harm and push out BIPOC staff. Also, so many staff facilitating and developing training content with no experience with the topic, but also no experience facilitating and creating content. I want to circle back to this idea of working “for the cause” - in Everytown’s case, senior management actually has no intention of ending gun violence, especially outside of gun violence that white children might experience. This organization is used as a shiny, feel good, star for the wealthy, white folks at the top. It’s all politics. Instead of investing millions or hundreds of thousands of dollars into communities, with violence intervention programs that have been proven to work, they will literally donate millions (y’all can look it up) into political races and into the hands of legislators to get what they want. Again, not based on what a community wants - it doesn’t matter if Black and brown folks will be over policed by a policy Everytown paid to come to fruition because Everytown does it to look “good” (to white people). Remember, saying “police violence is gun violence” was a highly radical statement until they needed to look woke in their listserv when George Floyd was murdered. Are you still reading? I’m sure some folks have already made a decision after reading thus far, but let me continue just in case. Gaslighting is the major characteristic of abuse at Everytown. There is absolutely no transparency in how decisions are made (hint: it’s personal interest, favoritism, and nepotism) then management is “confused” about the “rumors” that lower staff “come up with.” They have offered virtual forums to address staff concerns, but talk so much that there is only time for one question and don’t think about using that chat box because management can’t answer verbal questions and read/respond to the chat box in the same meeting (fyi, Field does this getting paid a third or a quarter of their salary). During the pandemic, many of the staff, especially women, were on child care duty, homeschooling, etc. while trying to work. For the staff who utilized the Federal COVID relief policy to have a reduced schedule, they were expected to do the same amount of work in less days aka working three 13-hour days and getting paid 24 hours per week. During and before COVID, so many of us prioritized work (especially the perfectionist/seeking approval types), leaving our families, our homes, our relationships, and our personal and physical health behind, similarly to the isolation that occurs over time in abusive relationships. Personally, I got to a point where I was contemplating completing suicide out of the dread of going to work every day. (But remember, it’s my fault for not taking care of myself because I didn’t self-care hard enough). I had countless meetings with my supervisor, my supervisor’s supervisor, my supervisor’s supervisor’s supervisor, HR, other departments even. Feedback doesn’t go anywhere or doesn’t change anything depending on who you talk to. There is truly so much more I can say. I haven’t touched on tokenization of marginalized staff, particularly Black, latinx, and LGBTQ staff. I haven’t touched on the Planned Parenthood to Everytown pipeline. I haven’t touched on the ableist policies and work culture. I haven’t touched on how managers have blocked staff moving into higher paying roles because they didn’t like them. The pay or recognition (you will never get) is not worth it. This organization is like a black hole. By the time you realize how horribly you are being treated because you are tired, overworked, and you feel crazy, like it’s your fault you feel this way because you are not doing enough self-care, you have absolutely no energy to get out. It takes a lot of energy to apply and interview for jobs, and I know at least five people who are actively trying to quit, in the process of interviewing, etc. but still have to show up. For others, the beginning charm of this abusive relationship flares up and keeps them going like a free lunch, a new sweatshirt, working remotely for many Field staff, or maybe they just need to keep the good benefits for their family. I know even more folks where this is the case (over 20). This organization is beyond change, beyond saving. This harm is intentional. Do not waste your life like so many of us did.

32 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0

Not worth it

Oct 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free food for lunch sometimes.

Cons

They will work you 80+ hours a week. Expect to work weekends. There is no flex time. Employees do not look out for each other, everyone is out for themselves. Ask about turnover rates, almost everyone eventually leaves.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Supervisor admitted discrimination, nothing happened

Jun 7, 2021 - Senior Program Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- free food and drinks on 13th floor - nice bathrooms - nice balcony on 22.

Cons

In July 2020, my former supervisor called me to confirm, validate and apologize for the racial trauma that forced me onto FMLA while working at Everytown, including her role and complicity, by literally bringing up every trauma that I experienced while there. I left Everytown in August 2019. My white, former supervisor named George Floyd's murder as impetus for her thinking + apologized to me for her ability to "turn the other way" while I was being harmed. She said that Everytown is still most toxic for Black employees. Everytown is rampant with racism, discrimination and inequity, both internally across departments and across the volunteer base of Moms + Survivors. The racial trauma that I experienced at Everytown was unrealistically horrid and never acknowledged while I worked there. From collective harms, like: - President/CEO John Feinblatt referring to people of color as people of comments--aloud, in an open office--when the then DEI Committee [of which I led a working group] asked to implement an equity work plan; - Refusing to acknowledge police shootings of unarmed Black people until it became useful, confirming staff thoughts that Black lives don’t matter to Everytown, unless it’s a survivor’s story pushing policy or raising monies. To the constant tokenizing + exploitation of my own person, like: - Being forced to navigate problems far above my pay grade with survivors of gun violence who were deemed 'difficult', which was always a dog whistle for Black. - Being made to present a survivor campaign to a national gun violence prevention coalition because "it needs to come from a person of color". [These were my supervisor's actual words.] Meanwhile, I was told that I could not present to Pres/CEO John Feinblatt because "he doesn't take meetings with staff below director". As there were no POC directors on staff during my time at Everytown, this meant that John F. did not have to interface with any people of color, ever, if he so chose. - My white department director saying aloud that i should “ask for a cut” of the tens of thousands that Everytown raised from the email campaign about the tragic shooting death of my 16-year-old Black cousin--knowing full well how hard i was fighting for pay equity--and losing - Spending a year elevating deep concerns about my workload being exploitative/not making sense only to see my role be divided into two whole positions upon my departure - And the list goes on After I communicated to my former supervisor that her apology was triggering, unacceptable, only centered her white guilt and still left me without reparation, I received an email communication and eventual call from Everytown's Chief People Officer, Jacqueline Murray. Ms. Murray claimed that she wanted to talk about what she'd learned about my previous work experience but via her line of questioning, I quickly realized she wanted to know if I had any evidence and if others might validate or reiterate my experience. Ms. Murray went so far as to say "Hey, I'm Black too" to convince me of her motives. It was truly disgusting. I asked her, "Now that my discrimination has been validated by a Director who still works at Everytown, what does reparation look like?" She promised to follow up after her vacation. I never heard from her again. There are so many experiences across these reviews that name racial trauma, discrimination, exploitation, gender discrimination, fatphobia, and so on. This has to stop.

14 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pros

If you're looking to make a difference, try another org or start your own.

Cons

From leadership to the volunteers, it's a pretty tough place to work for people of color. The CEO once referred to people of color as "people of comment." Don't be surprised if he hits you with "you people." The volunteers are allowed to mistreat staff (of color) and there's no real upside to the organization. The policy agenda does not focus on folks disporotionately affected by gun violence. Bullying is allowed and celebrated.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee

PR for rich people. obstacle to progress. psychically damaging to work there.

Mar 24, 2021 - Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

health insurance, PTO are pretty good

Cons

Organization acts as a PR campaign for its rich leadership. Refuses to do anything besides pass moderate gun laws. All input by staff is completely disregarded. Shadowy decision-making process. Leadership never listens to any of the concerns of POC. Constantly tokenizing POC. Calling the leadership white moderates would be kind. Every DEI process/training is complete nonsense, and set up that way so leadership can say they've done something without actually doing anything. Unequal pay. Staff are constantly disrespected and insulted.

8 people found this review helpful
  10. 3.0

Not bad

Mar 7, 2021 - Political in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun work environment and focused on a good cause.

Cons

The organization goes too far to appease leaders vs doing what is right.

1 person found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 45 Reviews

Everytown for Gun Safety Reviews FAQs

Everytown for Gun Safety has an overall rating of 2.7 out of 5, based on over 56 reviews left anonymously by employees. 31% of employees would recommend working at Everytown for Gun Safety to a friend and 37% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 12% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Everytown for Gun Safety employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Everytown for Gun Safety. This rating has improved by 7% over the last 12 months.

31% of Everytown for Gun Safety employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Everytown for Gun Safety 2.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.3 for culture and values and 2.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Everytown for Gun Safety to be career development, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be management, senior leadership, diversity and inclusion.

Popular Careers with Everytown for Gun Safety Job Seekers