Everytown for Gun Safety Reviews

1. 5.0

Great place to work

Mar 4, 2021 - Political Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment and place to work

Cons

I enjoyed my time at Everrytown

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Horrible Place to Work for POCs - Racist, Discriminatory, Traumatic & Hostile Work Enviorment

Mar 26, 2021 - N|A
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you're looking to make a difference, try another org or start your own.

Cons

From leadership to the volunteers, it's a pretty tough place to work for people of color. The CEO once referred to people of color as "people of comment." Don't be surprised if he hits you with "you people." The volunteers are allowed to mistreat staff (of color) and there's no real upside to the organization. The policy agenda does not focus on folks disporotionately affected by gun violence. Bullying is allowed and celebrated.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

PR for rich people. obstacle to progress. psychically damaging to work there.

Mar 24, 2021 - Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

health insurance, PTO are pretty good

Cons

Organization acts as a PR campaign for its rich leadership. Refuses to do anything besides pass moderate gun laws. All input by staff is completely disregarded. Shadowy decision-making process. Leadership never listens to any of the concerns of POC. Constantly tokenizing POC. Calling the leadership white moderates would be kind. Every DEI process/training is complete nonsense, and set up that way so leadership can say they've done something without actually doing anything. Unequal pay. Staff are constantly disrespected and insulted.

4 people found this review helpful
  4. 3.0

Not bad

Mar 7, 2021 - Political in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun work environment and focused on a good cause.

Cons

The organization goes too far to appease leaders vs doing what is right.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

If you're BIPOC or simply care about your physical and mental well-being, steer clear of this org.

Feb 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have met some of the most brilliant and talented people during my time here. It's a shame though how undervalued they are.

Cons

I left this organization due to chronic racism and a hostile work environment where there was no accountability for harmful behavior (among several other issues not all of which are mentioned below). This job almost left me to pursue disability leave because it exasperated my physical and mental health issues at one point and impeded my life both professionally and personally. Unfortunately, if you take a leave of absence at this organization you may not be guaranteed your job or role back (yet somehow those who went to work on the Bloomberg presidential campaign were allowed a leave of absence and received their roles back upon returning almost 6 months after...) There no ability to move up or across departments and in fact if you apply for an internal role they'll pretend they are invested in you, drag you along the process, and won't actually do anything to set you up in terms of professional development or growing into a role if you don't get it. Several departments are undervalued and it's demonstrated in meetings, budgets for each department, and pay discrepancies (some departments have almost $40K in pay difference for starting roles with similar qualifications). Compared to other departments we would have to share rooms on trips (without consent to do so) and I even had reimbursements denied on work trips for food I purchased because the provided meals did not meet my dietary restrictions or serve as nutritious enough meal. Lastly, this place also talks about self-care and that’s about it. The workload is completely unrealistic so either you set boundaries and prioritize or you work 24/7. Depending on your supervisor and department, taking PTO can cause great anxiety from having it approved to anticipating people contacting you on your days off. The organization is not supporting employees through the pandemic either. In fact, they see the pandemic as a way to get push employees to do more work instead of being strategic and investing in the well-being of their employees. The solution isn’t wellness Wednesdays (which frankly were borderline ableist and fatphobic) but rather paying people more, respecting boundaries, hiring more staff, etc.

8 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0

Important work

Feb 14, 2021 - Counsel
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission and great junior staff

Cons

Leadership and Directors aren’t the best at reading the room

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0

Wonderful place to work

Dec 3, 2020 - Regional Political Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very welcoming, accommodating, and encouraging work environment

Cons

It’s a large organization, so it was difficult to develop meaningful relationships with colleagues.

8. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Please don't ignore these reviews like I did!!!

Aug 24, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's an amazing cause to work for and I enjoyed my co-workers some of which I now call my friends. Pay is good and they offer a great health care package. Adjusted well to Co-vid and promised not to lay people off which was nice.

Cons

Please, when I was hired I thought the reviews were from bitter employees who didn't do their job and just wanted to "hurt" the company but everything is true, management is so poor. Theres a lack of accountability from upper management. They just started to become more "aware" of the lack of POC in leadership but even still upper management dodges the topic/ questions. There's no org chart (red flag in itself) which makes it hard to figure out who I should talk to about what task. People leave this place like its going out of style. So please save yourself the time. When I was hired they even said they have a high turnover rate... I see why.

8 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Well-respected org, but tough on employees

Nov 11, 2020 - Field Coordinator in Annandale, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Well-respected, exciting work that makes a difference, internal camaraderie, women-led

Cons

No room for growth/advancement, low pay

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exciting opportunity to become a part of a growing movement to end gun violence.

Oct 21, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive atmosphere. Room to grow and develop for staff. Meaningful work.

Cons

Open office plan is can be challenging.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews