Evox Images Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA

I have been working at Evox Images full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love this Company. It is a great place to work as there’s plenty of opportunity to learn and grow. The CEO is awesome. The company is entrepreneurial, continuously trying new technology. I’m proud to be part of a company that is the leader in the automotive imaging space. What I like most is there is a team environment where employees collaborate and support each other.

Cons

No company is perfect but this is the best place I’ve ever worked without a doubt. I see staying here a long time to build my career.

Advice to Management

I've been given the resources and support I need to succeed so far. Continue to provide the same resources and tools to your employees you have up until now.

"Just don't. Seriously. Save yourself and walk away."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA

Pros

The company has an amazing work/life balance. With rare exception, you don't have to work long hours or take work home, and getting time off is a breeze.

Outside of management, the people are some of the kindest, most hard working folks I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Cons

First, most, if not all of the five star reviews are lies. The company actively puts pressure on employees to post good reviews to counter the honest (bad) ones. In fact, you can almost certainly bet that one particular senior exec is writing most of them.

That said, this company is a school case study in how NOT to run a successful business. From the manic, almost pathological whims and direction changes that are constantly in play to the unreasonable performance expectations, lack of knowledge, and the lack of respect the upper management pays to the workers, I have never seen anything so dysfunctional.

Look, I could opine about the terrible morale, or how the company headcount is one quarter what it was less than four years ago because they can't afford to keep vital positions because they are constantly buying new furniture and shiny new tech that can't be used. Or how everyone is using state of the art computers that connect to an IT infrastructure that is woefully out of date and overloaded because, again, the CEO didn't like the desks and ordered all new ones. Instead, ask yourself these questions:

Do you want to work for a company that values it's senior management so little that it has the director IT going to the Apple store to replace the CEO's teenage son's iPhone or coming to his house to fix his WiFi?

Do you really want to work for a company that does things on a whim without a business case, wastes tens of thousands of dollars going down foreseeable dead ends when they are losing money hand over fist?

Do you really want to work for a company that has sales people that don't have a clue what they are selling and can't handle a simple client phone call without involving the people that do the work?

Do you really want to be paid pennies on the dollar (compared to competitive market salaries) with a few trifling benefits (provided by the owner/CEOs wife, natch) for the work you do only to see it flushed in six months when you are either laid off (like clockwork every March and September) or the company suddenly goes in another direction, chasing some other windmill?

Do you want to spend your days fixing problems over and over again that shouldn't have occurred because unqualified or shady executives were trying to be slick and get around contract terms, or outright ignore them? How about serious violations that, in a public company, could land them in jail?

Do you want to work in an environment where your boss doesn't know, understand, or care what you do and sets unreasonable expectations for quarterly goals that will change halfway through with no thought given to the bonus money you lose (however pathetic the amount is)?

Do you want a job with little to no advancement opportunities?

This company is all about the appearance of success without the actual success to back it up. Competent, honest, hardworking people don't last there. They all see the dysfunction and run. If you don't care about any of that stuff, Evox is the place for you. Everyone else, don't waste your time.

If the company is around in two years, I'll be shocked.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees, the ones that make the money, like they matter. Be honest internally and with clients. Hire competent management.

Evox Images Response

Dec 19, 2016 – CFO

We are sorry you had an unhappy experience working with us. Our leadership is dedicated to listening to our employees to create a working environment we can all be proud of. We continue to find... More

"Dont be fooled"

Former Employee - CG Modeler in Rancho Dominguez, CA
    Former Employee - CG Modeler in Rancho Dominguez, CA

Pros

A lot of talent and potential. Oppurtunity to move up on the job title list fast

Cons

Dont be fooled. They hand out job titles that is only that, a couple of words. Half of management at the least have probably never managed before and they arent gaining experience at evox. Sales team dont sell anything, they wont even pick up a phone when it rings. The h.r. deptartment have no business being in h.r. They definately dont know Californias laws and id bet money they lead evox to court any time now. Its a circus and guessing game

Advice to Management

take a good look at your jpb title, research the meaning and learn to work it. Thendevote some time into studying. Business law,osha rules and regs,safety...

"Just... Don't"

I worked at Evox Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great titles... if that's what you're looking for.

Cons

I feel like this is where dreams go to die.

Advice to Management

Management? What management. They can't hold on to anyone for more than a year.

"Skilled Artists-Horrible Managing"

Former Employee - CG Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - CG Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Evox Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Medical benefits if you get out of temp status.
    -The CG team is very skilled.
    -Good only for your first job or you're desperate.

Cons

-Management is illogical and does not understand the difference between established artistic processes and actual intellectual property.
    -Employment contracts contain verbage that is illegal and unenforcible in the state of California.
    -Tools used are not appropriate for modeling and rendering resulting in hours and hours of wasted time and effort by the CG team.
    -Methods are archaic, inefficient, and counter-intuitive for an artist but insisted on by management.
    -Artists that question these methods and the company's stance on artist's own creative work done in their own time at home are harrased and threatened with law suits.
    -Pay is well below industry standard for the type work done.
    -Inconsistent internet policies. Some employees watch and discuss lewd videos but HR choses not to act while others are let go for "personal surfing".

Advice to Management

-Allow artistic professionals real input into how things are done; don't rely on managers that have no artistic or creative background.
    -Pay appropriate living wages to your artists since in theory they are what provides your income.
    -Learn and follow employment laws in California as well as what actually makes something a Company's intellectual property.

"Productive, Fast Paced, Engaging"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Rancho Dominguez, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Rancho Dominguez, CA

I have been working at Evox Images full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly intelligent and driven group of individuals, all with a common goal. It has been, and continues to be, a positive experience.

Cons

Not all work environments are for everyone. Those who have found that Evox is not a good fit for them personally, are quite vocal about it.

Advice to Management

Investigate the state of morale, determine if the line has been met (that should be) to sufficiently fuel good, positive energy in the workplace.

"Worse company ever in my professional career!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Evox Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome CG Team. Only good thing about Evox Images.

Cons

Endless list that I cannot list them all

Advice to Management

I usually don't even bother leaving any reviews on anything unless it is necessary. I held off for too long, and this is something people should know if people even think to apply at Evox Images.

Treat your empolyees with respect and don't point fingers at others for your own fault. All I can say is, karma...this company WILL fold soon. Current employees, I highly recommend seek for other opportunities, unless you rather work at this miserable place.

And PAY ARTISTS what they deserve, instead of paying management six figures! The Management sure do not deserve it while they are working onsite for 2 full days in a week. I cannot repeat enough...worse, THE WORSE company EVER!

"Disregard all of the favorable reviews: EVOX is the pursuit of misery, not for anyone, and certainly does not rock!"

Former Employee - Accounting in Rancho Dominguez, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting in Rancho Dominguez, CA

Pros

Only one: better than not working.

Cons

Refer to the advice to management below.

Advice to Management

Disregard all the favorable reviews because you can be assured they were coerced under duress by the owner/ceo of the company, possibly with threat of termination. They claim in the “Nightmare; only if you can’t feed yourself” post that “…we can assure you that the Company has not posted any "fake" reviews. We are proud to say that many of our employees have been stepping forward to show their solidarity and stand behind their leadership. Creating multiple identities in order to continue to post false and misleading attacks, however, goes against both the spirit and the letter of the rules and requirements of this website.” True, they may not be planted posts but they are definitely coerced. Also note you cannot find favorable reviews from former employees. Even current employees are giving unfavorable reviews and probably getting terminated in the process if the owner/ceo determines who they are.

Furthermore, pay particular attention to the composition of the so-called favorable reviews and one can easily infer they are as credible as forced confessions from beaten prisoners in third world nations. They are also veiled attempts by the owner/ceo to defend the dysfunctional Evox Images environment which is solely a product of his own creation. Specifically reference “The Pursuit of Happiness.” Who talks about any company in that manner? Completely fake. “….An employer is not obligated to provide food or coffee. Not only do we have coffee, we have fresh bean coffee! Thank you Evox!” Wow, I sure am impressed! Evox Images provides free coffee; surely no other companies do that! And fresh bean coffee, what a luxurious fringe benefit that is! More importantly, look at what is said in the Cons section, “….It is truly unfortunate to learn or hear of negativity for those who may be unhappy. I have read some of the not so nice comments, and I take this opportunity to say, if in your life’s quest you find happiness, and are satisfied with your work/health balance, then it is a good thing you are no longer at Evox because complaining is self-inflicted and harmful to your well-being, and detrimental to the Evox culture.” Huh?!? Gee, that doesn’t sound scripted and coerced. Me thinks the owner/ceo doth protest too much about the nightmarish Evox Images working conditions. Oh, I forgot, this was just another employee stepping forward to show solidarity as referenced above.

Finally, keep in perspective that the owner/ceo even attempted to post a blog in his defense here a few months ago, which Glassdoor in turn deleted as pure company propaganda. I guess he finally started to realize the game is up based on social network media sites such as Glassdoor. As it stands now, his reputation is so infamous most reputable recruiters won’t touch him or the company with a ten-foot pole.

Further note the euphemistic tone of the so-called favorable reviews, with comments such as “fast-paced, energetic and changing environment, not for everyone” and the like. Translation to the reality, which can be confirmed in the unfavorable reviews. The owner/ceo is an evil, tyrannical sociopath who changes course on a whim and micromanages employees to death so nothing ever gets done, demands employees work harder than the Egyptian slaves who built the pyramids did, compensates them poorly, berates and belittles them in the process, and ultimately terminates them en masse and also on a whim. They even have the gall to claim in their response to the “Nightmare; only if you can’t feed yourself” post that “….The last time we did a layoff was after the dot-com crash 14 years ago ...so this is not something we take lightly or do very often!” Massive lie! They have been terminating employees en masse and on the owner/ceo’s whim since inception, and they still continue this practice. Again, note all the unfavorable reviews that reference the pattern. Honestly their labor practices would be illegal in Europe.

So let me ask this of anyone entertaining the prospect of working at Evox Images. Would you really want to be in a “fast-paced, energetic and changing environment that is not for everyone” if the reality actually is so-called constant changes in direction and associated micromanagement which results in almost nothing getting accomplished, getting belittled and berated in a manner that would make Gordon Ramsey blush, demands to work like Egyptian slaves for poor compensation and not even a 401k option, and finally coming in every day with the very credible possibility of being the casualty of termination? Ever stop and think why the company constantly has openings? Probably not because it is “the pursuit of happiness” to work there and “not for everyone.” H-m-m-m, seems to me that Evox Images is the pursuit of MISERY, not for ANYONE and certainly DOES NOT ROCK. Accordingly, potential candidates should disregard all the favorable posts, unless fresh bean coffee somehow compensates for all of the above mentioned.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Rancho Dominguez, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Rancho Dominguez, CA

Pros

Exciting and dynamic work environment. Great upside potential.

Cons

Having a few legacy folks who remain who "just don't get it".

Advice to Management

Stay the course. A lot of exciting new initiatives.

"Micro Management"

Current Employee - Specialist in Rancho Dominguez, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Rancho Dominguez, CA

I have been working at Evox Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not reporting to the CEO

Cons

Every single detail is micromanaged and new products are launched without advance notice.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees informed about your corporate direction and ask for their input and more importantly, respect their input.