Ewing COUNTER SALES Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 7 reviews

3.6
Ewing CEO Douglas W. York
Douglas W. York

"Great company! family owned and oriented which is hard to find these days!"

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Ewing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The York's have built a great company that is focused on it's customer's landscaping needs always offering an opportunity to learn and grow with the company.

Cons

The company is very clique-y and male dominated

Advice to Management

Doug keep doing what your doing you have a remarkable company in your hands.

Ewing2012-08-07

"Counter Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Counter Sales Representative in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Ewing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training, opportunity for growth, build a career, family owned, community employee events great benefits, easy work life balance

Cons

Slower paced in terms of career growth. Very steady, but you have to pay your dues. They understaff each warehouse, so you are always in a little over your head.

Advice to Management

Hire more people per branch, better communication between branches

Ewing2017-09-06

"Too much demand for too little pay"

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES

I worked at Ewing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-People are nice enough -Training and education is top-notch -There is a clear promotional track though you are not likely going to be promoted before five years. -Events are great. -Faith-based company, if you're into that. Makes for very spirited upper management.

Cons

-Faith-based company. Insert typical passive aggressive Christian values. I'm a Baptist and I feel uncomfortable around those guys. -Two kinds of people at Ewing: 5+ year veterans with huge egos and 2- year employees warming up their resumes. -Pay is $10.00/hour starting out, with a max potential increase to about $13.00/hour. Good luck surviving on that; management consistently tells you to work on 'evolving your career'...

Advice to Management

-Increase wages at the bottom level. I am probably not your best employee but there are plenty of guys at my level who can help your company be GREAT! You're losing employees because of the low pay vs. the high demand on them. -Half of the time we feel like we are brought to your events just to make your numbers look good rather than it being an enjoyable experience (I'm looking at you, Vegas trip and Phoenix marathon)....

Ewing2016-02-02
  4. "Decent company, opportunities for advancement"

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES

I worked at Ewing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Advancement opportunities, at least for low-level employees. Interaction with management, employees get input for how stores run.

Cons

Benefits are not great, long hours, there's always the sense that if management can squeeze another minute of productivity out of you and pay you for a minute less that they'll take it.

Advice to Management

There's a line where too much efficiency leads to high turnover, you should find that line.

Ewing2013-07-01

"Depending on location, potential for advancement seems good."

Current Employee - COUNTER SALES

I have been working at Ewing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ewing seems to invest highly in new hires. Starting pay is decent,and raises have been regular. Potential for advancement is good Work is light, out of the elements, and relatively low stress. I like the environment

Cons

Many branch personnel seem jaded for some reason. The antiquated green screen software has a long learning curve. This need serious updating. Branch managers seem to get a lot dumped on their plate. Branches seem to be competing against each other so they can reach their numbers. Buyers stock the stores, not managers. There can be a disconnect between what we're selling and what buyers stock us with.

Advice to Management

On the whole,I think ewing is headed in the right direction.

Ewing2013-05-06

"Worst job I have had in 20 years"

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in

I worked at Ewing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Though they seem to care about employee wellness I am sure it is for a break on their insurance costs.

Cons

The pay is terrible unless you just got out of high school. It is not an option to drink the kool-aid, chug it like a frat brat. The brain washing is unbearable. Management treats hourly employees like ignorant trash. This is not a company for an independent thinker but if you are a Lemming it may be the company for you.

Advice to Management

Take your head from the void and breath the same air as the common man.

Ewing2012-12-13

"A good company with great people to work with, not a perfect job though."

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in

I worked at Ewing

Pros

A good opportunity to work in a friendly environment, learn about the industries of irrigation, lighting, and other related fields. Not the best pay for the labor, but not usually a very stressful job, either. Can be a fun environment at times(not too fun though!)

Cons

Low monetary compensation, Can be hard to take time off. Multitasking is essential for this job. Hard work doesn't nessesarily always pay off, or even ensure secure employment.

Advice to Management

Management appears to have a good business model, but shouldn't forget the individuals who work hard to make it happen.

Ewing2011-07-09