Ewing Reviews | Glassdoor

Douglas W. York

1. "Sales/Warehouse"

Former Employee - Warehouse/Sales in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse/Sales in Fresno, CA

I worked at Ewing part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, fun environment, good communication

Cons

Repetitive depending on the job

Advice to Management

nothing

"Stay to learn then use the knowledge to make money from someone who will pay you fairly."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ewing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They will teach you everything you need to know about the Industry and running the location.

Cons

They will expect everything from you for unbelievably low pay.

Advice to Management

Your Regionals are lazy jokes.
    You care about profit over people.
    I made you half a billion last year and I get a 25 dollar coupon at Christmas...seriously?

"Hit and Miss"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ewing full-time

Pros

Ewing is family owned and management largely treat their long-term employees as members of the family. Many employees have been with the firm for decades. Before I left, they instituted a program designed to improve the quality of staff. Certain milestone of this program were associated directly with pay increases. They have a policy for reimbursing college tuition (see cons for counterpoint).

Cons

Along with the "family company" culture, comes the hazard that management and leadership is very cliquey. There are those people who are on the "inner circle" and those who are not. This had more to do with personality than ability.
    Compensation is low across-the-board. Yes, there are increases built in to the SP program (employee development), but when the base is low and with our standardization across level and/or region, it does not help much. For example, a new driver (or manager, for that matter) hired in Wichita, KS will probably be paid about the same as one hired in the SF Bay Area. The cost of living in these areas are vastly different. To maintain the same standard of living, the Bay Area manager would need to be paid nearly 2x that of the KS manager. Unless things have changed dramatically, there is zero attention paid to this issue.
    Thanks to a lawsuit, manager's are now encouraged to spend less time doing non-exempt work. But, when there are only three or four resources at a given location, managers end up doing a lot of the "menial" tasks.
    I feel like so many of these reviews extol the virtues of the family business but it is because so many of the people have not had other jobs for any significant period of time. Staff across the business have very limited education, they are expected to "own the business", but are given very limited guidance. Management and leadership care about the staff, but only if you are in the "inner-circle". The company is rife with cronyism and sycophants.
    The company has a policy for reimbursing college tuition. This is open to everyone. But they make an overt attempt to hide it from "the masses". This is something you should be proud of, not hide it from all but the chosen few.
    The York family cries of low margins and pushes low pay to the branch staff. Yet, since March 1, 2016 (only 5 months) they have made over 80 flights in their corporate jet (Learjet 45 - N300AA) for over 110 hours (estimated hourly operating costs of ~$2100). One would think that it is hard to cry poor to your employees while spending a quarter of a million on operating your private jet for five months - yet some how they manage.

Advice to Management

Start taking care of all of your employees - not just those who are your friends. Pay people a fair wage. Look for people who challenge you, not just back your decisions. Encourage people to better themselves.

"My first and only career choice"

Current Employee - Marketing in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Ewing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What I've personally enjoyed as a benefit working for Ewing Irrigation Products Inc. has been the opportunities afforded to me as I've grown in skill set. I was originally hired as a driver at one of the Northern California branches. Ewing offered many opportunities for me to advance my career as I moved to Assistant Manager of that location and not much longer after a Manager of a different California location.

When growth opportunities appeared in other markets, Ewing still offered me a choice for upward growth. When I took a position within Ewing in a different market, Ewing assisted me not just with the job but helped my family make the 1,200 mile move. Yet I was still offered new chances for growth when I expressed my interest in moving from a warehouse manager to working at the Home Office. Ewing helped move my family to the Phoenix area and welcomed me into one of my dream jobs.

In every step of the way in my career with Ewing, they have always helped me with my growth. With education being of the forefront of management, Ewing helped educate and train me to become a manager, then continued to have me attend training year after year to become better in whatever skill set I believed I needed help in. When I desired to move from the warehouse to the Home Office, Ewing has paid for my training every step of the way.

In addition to all of this help, Ewing offers excellent benefits in profit sharing and health. I truly feel Ewing is looking out for my future and my and my families personal health.

Cons

As the company grows there have been an expanding area of opportunities. But, in some aspects of the company some departments have a shallow organization structure which leads to fewer opportunities for growth. This is in very, very few departments.

Advice to Management

Amenities for Home Office staff probably needs to be reviewed to reflect current office standards. Although not required, additional areas for quiet working and focus are needed.

"A great place to grow."

Current Employee - Employeed Development and Training Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Ewing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My colleagues at Ewing are the best part of working here. I have a family of friends across the country because of this company. A close second is the chance to grow in technical, leadership and management skills. If there is a special skill set that you bring to the table, there is likely a place in Ewing where you can soar with it.

Cons

There are systems and conventions that, to the uninitiated, make little sense and can be a source of great frustration. Over time, however, the method reveals itself.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging teamwork and cooperation at all levels. It is a core value.

"The best job I have ever had"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ewing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ewing really tries to promote from within and gives employees the best training available. If you are willing to relocate there is opportunity for any employee of value. The management that I dealt with gave you all the room you could ask for which is good if you are a self starter. I will compare all future jobs with Ewing!!

Cons

It is growing fast, so changing fast. If you are not a go with the flow person this can be intimidating, but this is also creating a lot of opportunities for the best and brightest.

Advice to Management

Try not to lose the family feel.

"The best and most dedicated people in the landscape/irrigation industry are at Ewing"

Current Employee - Sales in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Ewing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Industry leading education and training opportunities are abundant. Corporate vision for advancing this 90+ year business into new markets while emphasizing sustainable practices. Dedication to employee well being. Company culture allows for plenty of opportunity for having a good time.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are less frequent than some may need and compensation levels, while fair, don't always match up with other industry employers. Internal training expectations are high but finding time to follow through is tough.

Advice to Management

When the right people come along seeking to fill roles of key responsibility, be prepared to compensate them for their value.

9. "Such a great company where family, friends and success go hand in hand."

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ewing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Owner's are connected w/ all employees. Makes every attempt to connected w/ all in green industry, through all kinds of technology and social media. Empowers employees to make good judgement decisions in their market w/ their specific needs to grow business.

Cons

compensation for entry level could be better.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see a more clear sales structure. Seems there are some very well seasoned sales and mgrs that have been in place for 10+ yrs, and it seems that it would help to establish a level of seniority. Too many working at the same level. A little more clarity as to who to lean on for guidance or accountability at the state or region level.

"A"

Current Employee - Counter Salesman in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Counter Salesman in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ewing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

family owned
    co workers
    private
    large but feels small

Cons

regional manager
    management of higher level outside corporate is not the best
    pay
    pricing
    seasonal change

Advice to Management

Employee retention due to low pay

"Great company! family owned and oriented which is hard to find these days!"

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Ewing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The York's have built a great company that is focused on it's customer's landscaping needs always offering an opportunity to learn and grow with the company.

Cons

The company is very clique-y and male dominated

Advice to Management

Doug keep doing what your doing you have a remarkable company in your hands.