ExactTarget Marketing Cloud Reviews in Indianapolis, IN | Glassdoor

Indianapolis, IN Area

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marc Benioff

Pros
  • Great benefits (free snacks, plenty of vacation time, parental leave, health & dental, etc (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay, great people (smart AND friendly), and the company is going places with Salesforce (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Relentless pace sometimes compromises work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• It's a shame that the orange culture we all loved is going by the wayside (in 11 reviews)

1. "Really great place to work"

Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very well-stocked free snack room.
    Frequent free lunches (they even have a mobile app to alert folks to where food is and on what floor!)
    Great equipment, friendly staff.

Cons

They didn't really seem well-prepared in terms of the project I was brought on for, so I ended up out of work again after just a couple of months. It's really a pity, as I'd love to work there again!

Advice to Management

Go into projects better prepared, so that when you hire someone you have plenty of work for them to do and don't end up terminating their contract a couple months later.

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In downtown Indianapolis. You will work with a lot of smart people. The place builds lasting friendships and gets you great connections. Work in the latest technologies etc.

Cons

If your management is at Salesforce corporate, they may be mostly hands off with you or not really take an interest in what you do. Your best bet is to work on the product.

Advice to Management

Expand communications between Salesforce corporate and the Indy offices.

3. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of energy and passion throughout the company.
    Genuine respect for diversity.

Cons

Relentless pace sometimes compromises work/life balance.

"Gone from Great to Good to Poor in 1 year"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Great benefits
    Well respected in the community
    SOME absolutely amazing people (diminishing as we speak)

Cons

When I first joined this company 2 years ago, it was full of passionate people who cared about the company, the products, and most importantly, each other. Employee success was paramount to company success, and we had a leadership team that recognized that.

Now, with the infiltration of Salesforce (which, don't get me wrong, Salesforce is great in its own way, but that greatness has not manifested in Indianapolis - it's been mostly destructive), the Marketing Cloud leadership team is much more concerned with making people like Marc Benioff and Alex Dayyon happy rather than creating a culture of happy employees. In a recent "V2MOM" session, leadership blatantly voted "employee success" as the LEAST important value among 6-7 value options. Don't you get it? Happy and successful employees lead to good product, good service, and thriving business!!

As I look around, I see a bunch of people sitting there just doing bare minimum to collect a paycheck, others frantically trying to cling to the last bit of Orange culture they can find, and a select few who thrive in this new environment of "nothing matters but the bottom line". I'm sure that the short term business outlook will be great, as Salesforce manages to squeeze the last bit of quality work out of employees, but if this keeps up, there's no long term to speak of.

Advice to Management

Marketing Cloud is losing people faster than they can hire them. This is as strong of a message as your employees could possibly send. With the rise of multiple other startups and corporations taking root in Indy, it's only going to be harder to keep/find top talent. Please, please, please take notice and, more importantly, DO something about it. Otherwise, move this entire operation to SF, where the culture thrives and people are more connected and happy.

"Beware of micro-managers and ass-kissing execs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, flexible telecommuting policy, nice co-workers

Cons

Transitioning from start-up to big corporation, execs are young and eager to please parent company in Cali by kissing up while transferring the stress to employees. Zero tolerance for mistakes but not giving any warning sign until the last minute before they fire you. Due to poor location excellent employees are few and far between, so mediocre but ass-kissing people get to stay. Managers are all great players of politics. Employees don't dare to speak their mind just to keep their jobs in the "best" company of the area. Mid-level people managers have no clue in managing so resort to micromanagement. Typical "boys club" culture with no advancement opportunity for female. Only those who play well with their managers and drink the Salesforce cool-aid will thrive. The V2MOM is a joke as performance review has nothing to do with it, meaning delivering results doesn't mean you are good enough. Fear of mistakes and risk averse mindset is suffocating the humanity and innovation this company once had.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to be cool or anthropologist. Treat your employee like human beings, not resources.

7. "Acquired Technology Company"

Current Employee - Business Development in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Business Development in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

excellent pay, flexible schedule, good work/life balance, awesome perks,

Cons

high stress position, quotas can be high, feeling that we are not as valued by the parent company

Advice to Management

stand up for us when it comes to how we're treated by the parent company

"Enablement Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. I love the culture, the fast pace, and the change is constant!

Cons

Benefit disparities, and post-acquisition it seems like career paths are a bit hazy. No one is certain what initiatives will live on or not.

Advice to Management

Isn't it time for the Indy Tower already??! :)

"Great team"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice benefits, great events, fun team.

Cons

Was acquired so there was some frustration in the lack of information received during the process but that's to be expected.

"One of Indy's best employers."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

There are lots of great people in every area. Most coworkers are friendly, intelligent and passionate. There are fun problems to work on. The culture is great.

Cons

Fast growth has led to certain challenges, specifically in terms of onboarding and complexity. It also feels like we're an afterthought to Salesforce. We're starting to get some of their benefits, but salary and especially bonus discrepancies continue to be the norm according to Glassdoor reports.

Advice to Management

If we're all in with Salesforce, let's be all in. A student loan refinancing program like Apple recently introduced would be life changing for many.

"Internship"

Former Intern - Slingshot in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Intern - Slingshot in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible
    Challenging
    Fun
    It was really fun, I was able to meet a lot of the Execs including the previous CEO and the current one. The company is still small enough that you can meet a lot of people and feel like its a small family.

Cons

Interns are mixed with both the tech and sales people. So sometimes the events don't fit one of the two groups and it can get boring.