Examiner newspapers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You have freedom to write but no pay (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to sharpen your writing skills and getting published (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no pay rate per article (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay (per page view), no advancement opportunities, lots of restrictions on what to post, no way to deal with flaming reviews, no health benefits (in 3 reviews)

1. "Interesting Concept"

I worked at Examiner newspapers full-time

Pros

You get to set your own schedule and you get to largely pick what you want to write about

Cons

You sometimes may not be able to grasp what the "editors" are trying to say

Advice to Management

Be more clear and objectives

2. "It served its purpose"

Former Employee - Examiner in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Examiner in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Served as a conduit for restaurant reviews, creative writing and exposure to other writing mediums.

Cons

Either did not pay or did not pay enough. Asked for a lot of work, but gave very little reward. Always promised media credentials, but never followed up on it or followed through.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the opportunities, but you don't last long if you don't pay people to do work. Just a thought.

3. "No pay, not worth the effort."

Pros

None. You have freedom to write but no pay.

Cons

No pay. Stay away from this compnay.

Advice to Management

Pay your contributors!

4. "Reporter"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Austin, TX

Pros

Lots of opportunities to sharpen your writing skills and getting published.

Cons

Very low pay for your effort.

Advice to Management

Find a way to reward your consistent contributors with higher rewards and more bonuses for content.

5. "Fashion Trends Examiner, Political Buzz Examiner"

Former Employee - Featured Writer in Lincolnwood, IL
    Former Employee - Featured Writer in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Examiner newspapers (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, feedback from editors.

Cons

Hardly paid anything. Still have my articles online.

Advice to Management

Don't work for the examiner.com unless you need the experience as a stepping stone for another job.

"Content Writer / Examiner"

Current Employee - Content Writer in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Examiner newspapers (More than a year)

Pros

You gain a fantastic amount of experience if you are entering the industry. You will be exposed to the demands of working in a professional web-based media company. This is a place to cut your teeth and see if writing is for you or not.

Cons

I wrote for almost two years before I was compensated financially. However, I did gain tremendous experience that transferred to other agencies. I haveI no idea who my boss is. I don't have a name, number, email, department, city - anything. It's a black hole. It's difficult to work for you and then have absolutely no idea what to put down for references on future job applications.

Advice to Management

Pay your people a reasonable amount of money. I have no idea who my boss is. I don't have a name, number, email, department, city - anything. It's a black hole. It's difficult to work for you and then have absolutely no idea what to put down for references on future job applications.

7. "Too Much Time For Too Little Compensation"

Former Employee - Food Writer in Cairo, NY
    Former Employee - Food Writer in Cairo, NY

I worked at Examiner newspapers (More than a year)

Pros

They have a good online knowledge base to help you to write good articles.

Cons

Compensation for articles is practically nil.

"New gatekeeper review time takes 1-2 days"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Burlington, VT

Pros

Wrote for 2 years and produced over 65 articles. I liked the flexibility, for instance journalists can self-edit, embed images, slideshows, videos. A lot of articles for listed reading under the same topic. Everyone knows what examiner seems to represent and so it's a laugh. It used to seem open with regard to length, but not anymore. Search for labels is easy. Free Getty photos.

Cons

Pay in 2 years has been less than $30. No one takes you seriously, not even their HR. They refuse to serve as references. Last straw is a new policy of review. They claim to be editing for style, but it is about content. Evidently the content I provide is not trashy enough. Instead, I have written about technology and progressive liberal politics, so they are using this new gate-keeping device to weed out the liberals to ensure the Republicans a win in 2016.

Advice to Management

There's no reason journalists who have lasted over a year shouldn't be on the white list automatically. Too bad I am not going to hang around to wait. You really should provide a reference system for independent contractors. I have a name, a phone number answering machine, and an address that really means nothing to anyone. Also the ticket system doesn't work very well.

9. "Consistently Top Examiner and Removed in August 2015 - Not Trashy Enough"

Former Employee - Freelance Writer
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer

I worked at Examiner newspapers (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wrote for them for 5+ years and had hundreds of articles and reviews published. Was consistently a top Examiner and earned all the badges (bling) available at each level and for every hoop offered to jump through. I earned some money -- not enough for anything more than some coffee or an adult beverage or two, but enough to keep me posting articles. This is an aggregator / content farm site but it does offer an opportunity to get your name out there if you decide to go that route -- 20/20 hindsight I would probably start on my own blog or a content farm that offered better compensation.

Cons

I've been struggling with the new and reformed methods since 2014, but continued to write and share information because it seemed like people were reading my pages. That being said, the most recent editing gatekeeper was a real surprise, and not in the pleasant way. In theory, some Examiners were allowed to continue to post without editing (which took days to happen and made stories drop from newsworthy to nothing) but apparently prior successes over years of writing was not a qualifier. Pay is less than stellar even if you are top ranked - in my experience there are no benefits to being a top Examiner. If you are looking for a reference from them, forget about it, the best you can hope for is that your content will still be up and you can link people to it. This is a content farm aggregator and very few places will take you seriously. There is no way to get in touch with anyone, and if you have gotten the e-mail about being dumped there is really no way to make it more anonymous.. at first I thought it was a spam e-mail, but in fact it seems that I no longer write for them. Their content has shifted and seems to lean much more to sensationalism rather than even the most rudimentary examples of reporting. My stories were newsworthy and interesting, but not trashy crap so like many others I am gone.

Advice to Management

Top Examiners with longevity and good readership numbers should have been allowed to continue with the white list approval for publishing articles. Your method of letting people go is laughable and having no way to contact anyone or have any guidance between LONG reviews and then being released was a special treat. Even a personal message sharing that my articles weren't trashy enough for your new "feel" would have been better than what I got. At least I won't need to agonize over leaving my readers high and dry anymore, you took care of that for me.

10. "Unethical"

Pros

They have individual spaces to write.

Cons

They do not respect their writers. Would definitely try to go somewhere else. They seem to do what they want with the articles.

Advice to Management

Change