Excela Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Excela Health Reviews

Updated April 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

1. "Great workmates, Terrible Administration"

Former Employee - Medical Secretary/Clerk/Receptionist in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Medical Secretary/Clerk/Receptionist in Latrobe, PA

Pros

The people in my departments were tops. We helped each other and knew how to care for our patients and each other. Also, there is an onsite cafeteria and snack shop

Cons

Administration is now mostly financial with little medical input. You can not run a hospital system like you run a grocery or clothing store. They have taken the feeling of community away from the employees and the patients and their families.

Advice to Management

The board needs medical people who can help balance the financial decisions being made. Managers need to step out of their offices and comfort zones and spend time in the actual facility with the employees and the patients and families. Also, have people go into different departments as a patient or family member, like a secret shopper, and see what you find out.

2. "Coworkers were the one good thing about working there."

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers were wonderful. Helped each other out.
    Decent pay
    Loved the patients and loved caring for them.
    Enjoyed free parking.

Cons

ALWAYS understaffed.
    Poor morale overall.
    Decisions made about staff which detrimentally effected them but did not ask for staff input.
    Upper management turned a blind eye to direct complaints about people and situations that negatively impact staff and patients.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself why so many people have left/are leaving for employment elsewhere and if you're willing to ask that question, address and rectify the issues. Do not dismiss or ignore them.

"Very limited exposure to overall ops."

Current Employee - Case Management in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Case Management in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Excela Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you live close to the facility and salary and beenfits are not an issue, it will suffice.

Cons

Excela, sadly, does not value their employee, as demonstrated by their lack of adding points back for extra help from the employees above and beyond; coming in on a day off to help / working 55-60 hrs. a week in a salaried position, etc.. - no reward system for the good things done, but definite points off for any other infractions..

Advice to Management

Initiate the same payback system with "reward points" as you have with points off - point for point. Seperate out sick time, PTO & Holiday time off, raise salaries across the board. Value your employees!

4. "Employee appreciation"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unfortunately, there is nothing positive to say about Excela's treatment of their employess..

Cons

Salaried employess are expected to work up to 50 hours a week, however in reality, many work 55-60 hours a week, with their payback being (3) points off for a sickday, points off for attempting to come to work in trecherous wintery weather conditions, arriving late because of being in a tie up from an accident, or behind a snow plow (1) point demerit, but no points given for coming in on a scheduled day off (3) to help because of low staff or high patient cencus, nor comp time for extra hours over 50 a week, usually on a consistent basis given back.

Advice to Management

Seperate time out for sick time, PTO and Holidays. Recognize and reward with the same amount of points put back in an employees bank for good deeds, helping their fellow employees, not just demerit points for unavoidable reasons. Staff come into sick work because of this, infecting others, becoming sicker themselves and bringing it home to their families. The attitude of Senior Management is if you don't like it, leave. How sad. No wonder Excela ratings are low by both patient satisfaction and staff. Unfortunately, management doesn't seem the least bit interested in keeping valued staff.

5. "Overall, I really enjoyed working at Excela Health."

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had great flexibility with my schedule and worked with some fantastic people.

Cons

I wish I had felt valued by management.

Advice to Management

I felt like my manager wasn't really listening to my concerns.

6. "10 years experience. Provided opportunities to advance."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Excela Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic people to work along side of. Nice benefit package. Community focused care and involvment within the communities that are serviced. People really care about patients and co-workers.

Cons

As all companies, we can strive to do better with communications.

Advice to Management

Consistency and communications. This has improved, but we still have work to do. Changing culture is a very difficult task but we are achieving a more effective, patient centered care culture.

"Senior Leadership needs replaced"

Former Employee - Former Clinician in Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Former Clinician in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Staff have their heart in the right place. They really care about the patients and each other. They try to do what's right even when initiatives and priorities change continually.

Cons

Senior leaders appointed in last 3 years are directly responsible for the downfall of this organization. Their agendas change frequently and they do not regard staff as the backbone of the organization and they are mistaken about this. The CEO is disconnected from almost everything and everyone in the organization and this has allowed the remaining senior leaders to make repeated mistakes which has led to frequent downsizing of great employees and initiatives.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the Board of Directors. The CEO and a number of the senior executive team need replaced by individuals with sound judgement with a true regard for human capital.

8. "Overall it was a good place to work with the exception of the last year and a half."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close to home, great cardiologists, knowledgeable coworkers.

Cons

New management brought in last few years. Patient care not main focus anymore.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from your employees and patients about recent decisions made.

9. "Loved working at Excela Health"

Former Employee - Admissions Registrar in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions Registrar in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Excela Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome people to work with. Decent benefits. Fun workplace. Good training and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Management was sketchy some times... Took a while to get schedules out. Upper Management took a while to get back to you on things.

10. "I enjoyed coworkers"

Current Employee - QA Assistant in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - QA Assistant in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Excela Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I appreciated the benefits. The hospitalization, dental and vision benefits were very good. They are very generous and covered family and spouse. Paid time off was also very generous.

Cons

A lot of politics. Who you know is important when working there. Difficult to make improvements at times. Easy to identify problems, not so easy to correct them.

Advice to Management

Allow staff to covey problems. Management look the other way or don't want to acknowledge there are problems in their areas.