Excelacom Reviews | Glassdoor

Majid Naderkhani

1. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Phila, PA

I have been working at Excelacom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are incredible. Everyone is intelligent, helpful, and genuine. HR is friendly and management is supportive. If you like learning and learning quickly, I would recommend giving Excelacom a shot.

Cons

Management is often spread then, and assets on the bench can be underutilized. If you're looking to travel frequently, this may not be the right fit for you.

Advice to Management

Develop more defined career paths and pursue opportunities outside of telecom to help keep top talent.

"Technical Consultant"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Excelacom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good health care, has 401 k plan,

Cons

I can't think of any

"Good stepping stone"

Former Employee - Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Excelacom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Real small company feel, everyone knows everyone, people are very friendly, most of the customers have been around for a while so they know management, which is good. Great place to network since you meet so many people from different companies.

Cons

Work life balance isn't the best. It 's a consulting group, so long/odd hours are to be expected, but the company directive doesn't offer comp time, is stingy with work from home situations makes maternity leave difficult. If you're lucky and you get a good manager and a good account, that's great. But there's only so many of them. And a lot of the positions are more staff aug than they are consulting, which makes job descriptions a misleading. And zero transparency from management, unless you're in the "boys club" and a manager gets chatty.

Advice to Management

Let your employees know where/how you're planning to move forward. Stop hiring fresh grads and focus on making the people you do have better at what they do. Get rid of managers whose direct reports have high turnovers. Have a comp time plan when people are working 60 hour weeks to meet unrealistic timelines promised by upper management to customers

"Excelacom: Constructive Criticism"

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Excelacom full-time

Pros

Wonderful, intelligent people. The people I worked with on a daily basis whether it was our Offshore Team or co-workers were very experienced. They have advanced degrees.
    Great insurance benefits- better then the average company would offer their employees
    Lots of traveling if on a project in Philly, Texas, or Denver so one can explore new cities

Cons

I got paid to do very little work. I asked for work constantly and emailed my boss for things to do.
    All the Lynda training I was asked to do didn't pay off because I wasn't able to put to practice any of the new skills that I learned- my skill-set never grew.
    No 401(k) matching- for an established consulting firm, that's unheard of.
    20 people leave in less then 6 months and no one questions Recruiting or HR nor is there communication to their employees about this.
    Some of the managers play favorites and as a result the employee gets promoted and a raise.

Advice to Management

I want Excelacom to succeed, but the Execs need to take an inward look on the company.

"Good place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Excelacom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries are good. Friendly & bright coworkers. The Client team I have been working with is very supportive. The work is interesting and there is potential to work on various projects.

Cons

There is very little chance for advancement and no defined career path. If you're good at what you do, you'll end up doing it forever. If you get stuck on a bad project or Client team, you will not be happy.

Advice to Management

Continue building out plans for employee training. Give employees the chance to move around to various different projects and teams.

Apr 15, 2016 – HRD

Hello, and thank you for your feedback regarding advancement and training within Excelacom. We've recently rolled out new programs for Career Path Planning and Training/Development to directly ... More

"It's not just my job, it's my career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Excelacom has afforded me the opportunity to grow my career as well as my skill sets. I joined the company 3 years ago and had ZERO IT knowledge. My first week here I sat down at a whiteboard with one of our managers and he explained our business to me, at a high level of course. Over the course of the last 3 years, I have had the opportunity to work along side SME's who are more than willing to share their wisdom. The culture is one that promotes personal growth and the opportunity to advance your career at your own pace. I enjoy working in an office where I come to work each day excited for what that day will bring.

From a culture perspective, Excelacom is like no other company I have worked for. Our executives truly care about their employees and provide a generous budget to encourage engagement. We have company sponsored team building events, happy hours, potlucks, lunch & learns, holiday parties, and cultural celebrations. If you want to feel like you are part of "The Team" and not just a number in the system, this is the place to be.

Lastly, I really appreciate the transparency here. We are made aware of the future plans of the organization via Town Hall meetings, each quarter. It is comforting to know that there is a plan in place and a plan to get there.

Cons

Total benefits package is lacking in some areas.

Advice to Management

Look at the successful managers within the organization and mirror them.

Apr 15, 2016 – HRD

Dear Anonymous, It's gratifying to hear that you've flourished so well within our company culture! Our core values and environment mean a great deal to us and it's employees like you that make it ... More

7. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Analyst in Reston, VA

Pros

Great people, growing company, room for growth

Cons

Long hours, little appreciation from upper management for hard work

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees on a regular basis.

Apr 15, 2016 – HRD

Thank you for your feedback. You make good points about the importance of communication throughout the company. In the spirit of enhancing such lines of communication, our new Career Path Planning ... More

"An Honest Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Very friendly and helpful people in HR will make you feel welcome. Large pool of offshore staff ensures that US based staff avoid a lot of the tedious and mundane tasks that large implementations can involve. Marketing department is conveying a strong brand. Promotions are largely based on tenure and seniority, meaning that you can simply maintain the status quo and still get a title promotion. Product is very marketable.

Cons

No professional development, even for employees that are not currently staffed on a project. Mediocre leave and benefits compared to the industry. Leadership that assumes that they can sideline your personal life to make you work nights and weekends on little or no notice. Management actively tries to insulate themselves from employees by working separately and only sharing what they think employees "need to know" (this causes confusion, lack of common goals, and a LOT of unnecessary work). Offshore resources are treated as second class.

Advice to Management

Flatten your corporate structure and make it so management and employees have access to the same resources and information that they need to do their jobs. Stop begging employees for good reviews on Glassdoor (see that upswing in rating trends around 10/2014?) and become a company that actually deserves them. Support requests for training, even when not directly job related.

9. "Great place to launch a career"

Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Excelacom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to launch a career.
    Exceptional integrity - no funny stuff going on.
    Performance based career trajectory - you can double your starting salary within just a few years.

Cons

Typical small company cons - not a lot of places to move to. You can sometimes get stuck on a project that is not interesting. Company still trying to position itself for the future.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees but also invest in the managers. Employee satisfaction is almost 100% dependent on their manager, so it is critical that we have good ones.

10. "Place to be for career growth. Many new opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Excelacom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CEO - best I've ever worked with. V.kind, fair and accessible to anyone in the company
    Breadth of client engagements and products that provides progressive career opportunities
    Poeple and Culture is very social, fun loving and yet high performance driven

Cons

nothing major that cannot be managed at a personal level

Advice to Management

Continue to care for people, grow the business.