Excelacom Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Excelacom CEO Majid Naderkhani
Majid Naderkhani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "We have a vast amount of knowledge in the company and its a great place to learn and grow" (in 5 reviews)

• "Great culture, extensive growth, great people to work with" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "No 401k match, no opportunities for advancement and no incoming work" (in 10 reviews)

• "No additional benefit perks outside of typical health insurance and NO 401K MATCH" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Motivated consulting company with great people"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Excelacom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial atmosphere; Work with clients on daily basis; Great people; Ability to mentor and help groom junior staff; Competitive pay; Incentive pay potential for hitting revenue targets.

Cons

Demanding industry; Clients can be challenging to work with.

Advice to Management

Continue communicating well with people at all levels which has improved over the past year. Strive to sell new big projects.

"CEO/owner cares only about himself"

I have been working at Excelacom full-time

Pros

There are recent hires in some strategic positions who are trying desperately to make it a better place to work. There are a lot of nice people on staff who work hard and do good work and there are some exciting client projects on the horizon. There are two new growth areas where the company has invested some money that have potential to grow a lot.

Cons

The CEO intentionally avoids interacting at all with 90%+ of the employees, which is inexcusable at any company but particularly at a company that has less than 200 US based employees. The CEO attended a 2-day management retreat for a total of 15 minutes and then abruptly left. Literally. It seemed as if he had never read the company's strategy nor did he care. I have been told by most on the senior management team that he has not met 1:1 with them, and I would be surprised if any of the staff outside of HQ have ever met him beyond a greeting in the hallway. Bottom line is he has zero interest in making Excelacom a place where people are proud to work and enjoy working. I could go on and one...he's unbelievably arrogant, doesn't accept feedback, etc. But what really sticks with me is his lack of care or concern whatsoever for the employees. Kind of remind you of someone in the White House...???

Change can only start at the top. The reason that senior management is scored 2 stars is largely because of the CEO. If I were just scoring the CEO it would be 1 star, and I would probably give 3.5 stars excluding the CEO.

Additionally there is a huge gap between aspirations and the current state of affairs from a business and revenue perspective, and I don't know how that gets bridged with many of the current C-suite in seat. The good news is that there are at least a couple people in the C-suite who are very capable and / or know how to lead, but they're a minority.

Advice to Management

Without a CEO that cares there is little that management, including those who are very capable and strong leaders, can do to change things. One bit of advice I will share is that managers should really think hard about how they describe the company to prospective employees -- what would you want someone to tell you if you were in their place and interviewing to work at Excelacom?

3. "Senior Director"

I have been working at Excelacom full-time

Pros

employee engagement, leadership with a solid vision on where we are and where we want to be.

Cons

tighter communication on some topics

Advice to Management

na

"Very Misleading Unfortunately"

I worked at Excelacom full-time

Pros

Met a few very nice people who were also consultants at the time.
    Was given the opportunity to think outside of the box during the 4 months on the bench - none of which was utilized unfortunately.

Cons

Was grossly mislead when brought onto this company. Was then mistreated by a hiring manager in very inappropriate ways, which was handled very promptly by HR in Reston, but not by local senior management. They were dismissive and very demeaning. Watched as people began to leave or were asked to leave weekly.
    There is only one bread and butter client in Colorado.

Advice to Management

Have your employees backs.
    Recognize quality people for what they are, rather than warm bodies to fill a seat.
    Be honest when hiring that you are a recruiting/people staffing firm in Colorado, not a consulting group.

"AVOID! Even if it is your only option."

I worked at Excelacom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Salary is good

- Office is spacious

Cons

- Low employee engagement/Company culture: if you are looking for a place where you clock in and out every day, then this may be the job for you. No one interacts with each other, no ERGs - most days, you can hear a pen drop.

- Lack of new hire training: I was hired as an entry-level associate and learned on the fly for 2 months before getting an introduction to the project I was working on after being promised multiple times I would be trained. My manager would grow annoyed when I didn't understand how things in the project were related because there was no one to teach me. I spoke with multiple new hires in multiple departments and they did not receive training as well.

- No room for growth/little exposure: the teams are very small and much of the software that is used at this company is out of date. Many of the skills you will learn will only be useful at this company and for that specific project. Many clients are not renewing agreements with this company due to the disorganization of Excelacom.

- No 401K match

Advice to Management

- Stop delivering false promises to your employees about training and learning opportunities

- Do not hire entry level associates and expect them to have the knowledge of an associate with 15+ years

- Strengthen the company culture: within the last month, 4 people have quit.

"Avoid Unless It's Your Only Option"

I worked at Excelacom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are being hired for a specific billable role, you will work very closely with the client and should be fine until the end of your project. But once you roll onto the bench, begin to look for another role immediately, or you will be let go. You will work with some great people, and could have the opportunity to work at some major telcos. There has been a recent push to increase communication, which has been the first initiative in awhile to actually be carried through to execution.

Cons

As a small privately owned consulting company, the business is completely under the direct steering power of the owner. This would be fine, except the owner is very erratic, abusive and micromanages even the freshly-hired analysts. Do not mistake it for "great visibility" - you gain nothing from this type of oversight. The business is shrinking - turnover is abnormally high, the large clients that were keeping the business alive over the past 15 years are leaving (as evidenced by the company's shrinkage), and the company is not gaining any new business. This company is extremely misguided and markets itself as a "consulting company" but rarely finds any success in consulting engagements, and instead has to rely HEAVILY on a more staff-aug based business model. There is zero company culture, and since a majority of the company is offshore, you will be expected to take calls at 7am and again at 10pm (office hours from 9am-5pm), so work-life balance is minimal. They do not give bonuses, and other benefits are very below industry average. A story to summarize the culture/model/ethics at this company: they once hired an individual straight out of college - they had no role for this person, either billable or corporate, so this person assisted whomever they could to help provide value. This person was professional, capable, and intelligent, but after 3 months of being with the company, they were told to find a billable role with the client or they would be let go. It is incredibly ignorant to expect someone with 3 months experience to find a position within a client, when this company will not provide you with any channels to interact with a client until after you have been signed on for a role.

Advice to Management

360 reviews need to be implemented so that managers are held to the same standard as the people they manage. How can upper management idly watch as more than half of the company has left within the past 2 years? The new internal communication strategy is great, but only if it's 2-way communication, and without a medium for employees to anonymously provide feedback there is no comfortable way for employees to be heard. I strongly suggest hiring some HR muscle - employees do not feel valued, to put it mildly. The benefits are extremely lacking, and the zero company culture provided has only allowed for a very toxic anti-company culture to grow. Please invest in your employees. You will continue to lose top talent if you do not change.

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Excelacom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to take advantage of. We have a vast amount of knowledge in the company and its a great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Not the best with internal communication. Still lacking some culture.

Advice to Management

More regular communication, not just down but allow for up as well.

8. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Excelacom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, extensive growth, great people to work with. Excelacom is growing their footprint in the Denver market and it is a great time to join as you will likely have the chance to provide your input and make a difference within the firm.

Cons

Things change daily which is expected in a rapidly growing environment and even more so in a consulting organization. If you are not good with change then you may struggle.

Advice to Management

Continue growing while communicating extensively and providing a road map to current employees so they don't feel left behind.

9. "Great Place to Excel in Career"

I have been working at Excelacom full-time

Pros

Mid-sized consulting firm. Lots of visibility and interaction with managers and executive team. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

No 401k match is the only major con in my eyes.

10. "2018 New Joiner"

Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Excelacom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a part of an established company that has new local senior leadership that has a strategy for success and growth. At times can feel like a start-up which allows you to be part of the growth. Transformation to a premiere consulting organization. Ability to work with large, telecom and media focused clients who are doing great work for the future.

Cons

If you have worked for a large corporate company in the past, you will need to adjust to not having everything defined for you. But the opportunity is there to help shape the future.

Advice to Management

Continuing pushing forward with the new local strategy. Continue recruiting top talent.