Find jobs for Software Design Engineer

Add a Review

Excell Software Design Engineer Reviews

Updated Feb 25, 2020

Found 5 of over 137 reviews

Excell President Greg Hoogerland (no image)
Greg Hoogerland
0 Rating

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Tech

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Excell and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 4.0
    Former Contractor, more than 1 year

A decent contingent staff provider that supplies Microsoft

Sep 18, 2012 - Software Design Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is low-key and professional. They were able to provide me with a second opportunity after my first interview didn't result in a hire.

Cons

Like a lot of recruiters for Microsoft, most of the positions they have are Microsoft jobs. This means they probably won't be able to find a position for you during the mandated 3-month break between a- contracts.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee

It's a pretty good place to work.

Sep 3, 2008 - Systems Design Engineer  in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits for the IT contractor industry. Benefits include 80/20 health plan, but requiring premiums. Small training and/or book budget. Dental plans and prepaid legal plans. Weekly gatherings and team building among employees.

Cons

Only seem to have one large unnamed redmond software giant as a client. Misled me about the duration and some details of the contract.

3. 3.0
    Current Employee

Excell Data is ok for a contracting company

Mar 2, 2010 - Software Design Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They seem to have good connections with Microsoft and a a few other companies so they can be helpful in getting a contract.

Cons

Most of the downsides are due to the natures of most contracts. There are problems that just come with the type of job. For example constantly changing jobs and forced time off. For some people this ok but not everyone likes this kind of work.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee

Either Incompetent or Dishonest

May 14, 2010 - Software Design Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Probably the most comprehensive source of MS contract positions. Presumably competitive salary and benefits, although I wasn't employed long enough to take advantage of the latter.

Cons

Atrocious manager feedback, containing absolutely no actionable information. My Excell manager would simply regurgitate things she had been told by my lead, but with no understanding of the original context (or of what her notes even meant), she was completely at a loss to tell me how I could improve things. As a result, our monthly "check-ins" were a waste of time for both of us. By far the worst aspect of my time with Excell, though, was the fact that they ended my contract per the original schedule AFTER promising me (in emails which I still possess) that it would be extended a month from the original ending date. I came in on Monday to discover that my cardkey no longer worked, my email address no longer existed, and, indeed, I had been completely purged from Active Directory and all other internal Microsoft systems. I called my Excell manager, who professed surprise, said she would look into it, and finally called back at the end of the day to inform me that "there had been a mistake" and my contract had expired per the original schedule. There was absolutely no attempt at any apology or explanation, or indeed any acknowledgment of responsibility whatsoever. I am furious about that, but it is still a relatively minor inconvenience for me - a few weeks of job hunting with no salary in the meantime. For my Indian officemate (who received the same false promise of a month's extension), it is much more serious - unless he finds a job immediately, his legal resident status is in jeopardy. Excell deserves to be sued for this level of malfeasance. I would urge anyone to avoid Excell as long as this kind of incompetent (or dishonest - I'm still not sure which) behavior continues.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Additive manufacturing company

Feb 25, 2020 - Design Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Better place to work there for freshers

Cons

It's a good start up company

1 person found this review helpful