Excella Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Jeff Gallimore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great teams and excellent opportunities for growth"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Excella Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Even with recent growth, the org as a whole feels very horizontal. If you need resources, want to start something, or even want some professional mentorship, there are tons of policies in place and informal channels to give you an amazing career experience.

Cons

Some of the contracts you might consult on can take you pretty far out of the immediate DC area. Be prepared to have a car, find a ride, or really know your public transit.

2. "Great work, growing company, room for improvement"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Excella Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is very serious about pursuing work that is fulfilling to both their corporate goals and employee career advancement. You will do good work if you work at Excella, and you will enjoy it. Pay is also comfortable and competitive as is work-life balance, relative to the Washington-area consulting industry.

Cons

Work-life balance in the industry could use a lot of work. Like most companies, the billable hour is king. All advancement opportunities outside of doing good work for clients is expected to be done in after hours (read: unpaid) contributions. Additionally, reports to HR of micro-aggressive attitudes and actions among co-workers were taken mildly.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to spend some of their full-time hours doing non-billable activities. Even if it means raising rates, employees should be able to do professional development activity without working 50-70 hour weeks.

3. "Extension Center Team Member"

Current Employee - XC Team Member in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - XC Team Member in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Excella Consulting part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Gain real world experience with development
    - Excella offers a ton of free learning opportunities (Certificates, training, etc)
    - Make money while in school
    - Very good chance of leading to a full time/summer internship position with Excella
    - Most of the XC clients are small scale organizations or nonprofits (they're the only ones who trust students to write their code) so they're generally supportive and low-pressure

Cons

- Working at the XC is not looked at in the same light as doing the Summer Associate internship
    - Most of the full time employees at the XC split time between "student projects" and projects that actually make money for the company. Understandably, your managers may sometimes care more about their own work than giving you a lot to do
    - While it's awesome to basically be paid to get trained in software development, it stings that bus drivers and some dining hall employees make more than you (depending on your year in school) especially considering the students are billed for 3-5x what they're paid

Advice to Management

I'd advise Excella to stop selling work for the XC specifically if they're just going to tell full-timers at the XC to split time with a "real" project.

"Agile company trying not to be crippled by bureaucracy."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Excella Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone, with few exceptions, is above average skill for their respective levels. You're surrounded by smart people. Most of the work they do is mission-oriented, so you feel like your work has a purpose. Generous sick leave policy, and above-average vacation days.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement, despite assurances otherwise. Even via attrition, they would rather backfill over multiple years than promote qualified people they have. Salary is virtually non-negotiable. Not very diverse, especially in management. Policies are not flexible in a lot of circumstances.

Advice to Management

Add flexibility to your policies and recognize the employees that you already have.

5. "Best workplace I've ever worked at"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Excella Consulting (Less than a year)

Pros

Excella is a small-mid size consulting firm. But don't let that fool you. The partners here work diligently in increasing our bid potential, but keeps the culture of a small and close-knit family. With the feel of a small firm, and the project load an ever growing technical consulting firm, Excella highlights the best of both worlds. I couldn't be happier working here.

Cons

None so far, Excella does a great job in remedying any issues.

Advice to Management

With a monthly company wide meeting, transparency helps shows a sense of community and lessens any inkling of hierarchal totems.

6. "Great consulting firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Excella Consulting full-time

Pros

Employee empowerment, personal and career growth.

Cons

I really can't think of any. If you're in the DC area and are into IT, you should give them a hard look.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

7. "Good place to start, but growing pains"

Pros

Great managers
    Small company feel
    They encourage you to get involved with your passion

Cons

Don't pay competitively for non-developers

"Excella Consulting - Best in Class"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Excella Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excella has it all and is growing in all the right ways. Professional Development + Philanthropy + Career Growth + National's season baseball tickets. First job I have ever been in where I did not hit the snooze alarm in the morning.

Cons

If you like to snack like I do WATCH OUT!! Excella always has lunch and snacks at the HQ.

"The BEST company ever"

I have been working at Excella Consulting full-time

Pros

- amazing managers. the best managerial staff across the board that exists. everyone is kind and helpful, funny & smart, and genuinely rooting for you to succeed
    - great benefits, competitive pay, amazing coworkers. the teams you will be on in this organization will empower you to make an impact FAR beyond the workplace.
    - if you are looking to grow, and have a company that invests in your growth, work at excella.

Cons

extremely limited diversity and people of color..

Advice to Management

even though I am not a PoC it is pretty clear to me that there is a huge gap between the seven old, white male partners and the opportunities for women and colored seem to be very little. they never represent the organization and are not at the forefront. excella should highlight talent that is NOT male or white.

"Deceptive, looks good on the outside"

Pros

Great place to fake it till you make it. Decent pay, low expectations. Potentially could have been very happy here.

Cons

Poor hiring practices! My job didn't match my job description at all and even after several co-workers learned that I had more than enough experience in other areas, I was told to wait until something else came up. Meanwhile I was wasting my time and when I took an active role in searching or creating such an opportunity, I was told to stop interfering. Neither open opportunities or new markets were available to me. They are now building capabilities in the markets I pursued, adding insult to injury.

Depressing office. The nice office upstairs is probably not where you will work, it's where the higher-ups sit. Be sure to ask about the actual sunlight and ergonomics of where you'll work. I was warned that clients might have poor arrangements but nothing about their own company.

Fishy recruitment-based bonuses. While I was there most of the company received cash bonuses for hitting the recruiting targets and referral bonuses over triple where I've seen elsewhere. The workplace reviews through websites clearly ask if I felt pressure or incentive to give positive feedback. Clearly the review or the employees are lying about this.

False engagement with community service. When I volunteered, everyone left early and many said they would mark it as a full day. Seriously, that's tax fraud and it's just low. How can you spend a few hours in a shelter and just leave early. Scrubbing floors is pretty easy for how much these people are paid.

Poor retention and growth. It was hard for me to meet tenured or senior people but just a few months into my hire they lost a dozen or so. They have a normal turnover for a giant company but it's terrible for such a small company. Excellent gives the impression they're a new company but it's actually around 10 years old. The growth they've had is pretty poor for a startup.

Questionable qualifications of executives. The senior staff have certainly done well for themselves. Since everyone posts their resumes internally, I got to see what they looked like. Quite a few stories of people who were vaguely technical and then I guess decided to ride the startup train. Pretty impressive but I think this is holding them back.

Advice to Management

Track skills and goals of your employees. Consider writing openings for projects, not ideal job descriptions. Check your ethics around "best place to work" awards. Hire and promote through project growth to promote meaningful long term growth. Watch the messages you send around how you treat yourselves and your employees differently. Take notice and action to special grievances or situations in your company especially when ethics or people's careers are involved.

Excella Consulting Response

Feb 27, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. I am personally sorry to hear this was your experience as an Excella employee, and I speak for all of Excella in wishing your experience had been different. One of... More