Excelligence Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

Dipak Golechha

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Catalog Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I worked at Excelligence Learning (Less than a year)

Pros

This company takes care of its people

Cons

No cons - great place to work

2. "good energy, great environment, friendly staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Excelligence Learning full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

improved benefits, better executive team, more attention to employee morale, clearer corporate structure

Cons

pay is lower than the industry and local area

Advice to Management

keep up the improvements, stay in touch with the employees

3. "Great people and company, really happy here"

I have been working at Excelligence Learning full-time

Pros

- Entirely new leadership team that is a breath of fresh air. They're making the changes needed to go from good to great!
    - It's the most respected and largest company in our space and that's not me saying, it comes from a 3rd party research company that surveyed the industry.
    - Really cool new building location at the corporate HQ in Monterey (Silicon Valley like layout, showers and lockers, next to a park and hiking trail, onsite cafe that serves breakfast and lunch).
    - New leadership is giving people willing to make it happen, more authority to make it happen. The pace is picking up and so if you like that it's a good place to learn.

Cons

- With change comes tension. But the new leadership team seems to be managing that OK.
    - OK benefits, though a bit less then the companies up in the Bay Area. But nothing to complain about versus most company benefits.

Advice to Management

- Keep making changes and listen to those willing to be part of the change.

4. "Great Company and Getting Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Excelligence Learning full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Like any business, Excelligence has seen its ups and downs over the years. More recently, however, there have been a number of changes that have vastly improved the company. The employees are wonderful, the management is maturing, and the opportunities are increasing. The future of Excelligence has never looked better!

Cons

The benefits aren't the gold standard, but are on par with benefits packages available from similarly sized companies in the region.

Advice to Management

As you have been more recently, continue to focus on the employees so that the employees can, in turn, continue to focus on the customer. With that as the foundation, all other minutiae will be easier to manage.

5. "On the road to improvement and better things"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Excelligence Learning full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Things are just getting better and better after some really big changes in the company. Moving from a smaller mom and pop feel, to a much more professional high end business mind set. Positive forward momentum away from a once, long period of stale and static practices.

Cons

The company is still going through the growing pains due to the change in direction, despite being a positive direction change. A lot of promises havent yet had the opportunity to be fulfilled .

Advice to Management

Follow through with your promises to the company and the employees, and make sure that they stay competitive with the rest of the industry. Employees need a better retirement plan too, right now the company doesnt seem to care about our long term future.

"I have nothing but positives here..."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Excelligence Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The development team is small, but super nice. They all have at least a decade, up to three decades, of industry experience. Excelligence will make sure that you have the tools you need to get in your coding zone. With a smaller team, what you code tends to have a bigger impact on the direction of the company than in larger teams. Fair compensation, casual Mondays and Fridays, and lots of steady work for the foreseeable future are even more reasons why I have nothing but positives.

Cons

No cons. We're moving into a new facility soon; much larger, more modern, and a better view. All the old riff-raf has been swept out and the company is on an uptick.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

"Run and don't walk the other way"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Excelligence Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ummmm. Flexible work schedule and nice co workers

Cons

Can honestly say that this is both the worst and most unprofessional company that I have ever worked for. Illegal HR practices and procedures.... If you want to work at a job selling pencils,while being treated by upper management and customers as if you are solving world hunger, then, this is the dream job for you!!!! Overbearing, micromanaging AND condescending and inept upper management. Order processing,technical and logistic systems that remind one of 1975. Seriously, their network was down for one week!!!! Underpaid coworkers who have not received pay raises for over 8 years. You are a cog in the wheel and this is a joke of a company owned by a private equity firm. But hey, our Christmas bonus in 2013 was a congealed batch of cookies stored in a plastic bag.

Advice to Management

Doesn't even matter....a joke of a company

"accpunt mgr"

Former Employee - Sales in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales in Hartford, CT

I worked at Excelligence Learning full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flezible scheeule. upper mgt. clueless and/or didnt care what reps did

Cons

run by private equity who omly cares about sucking $$out of the co.. I heard they gave some reps a pitiful raise after 8 yrs.No opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

none, they will never listen

"Great company, terrible management"

Former Employee - Project Service Manager in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Project Service Manager in Monterey, CA

I worked at Excelligence Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company. Unfortuntately the pros don't outweigh the cons. The CEO is a great guy, but middle management makes any possible pro not worth it in the end.

Cons

Managers have their heads up their butts. Don't recognize talent when its right in front of them. Treat employees like seniority is the only thing that is important. As I said before, CEO is a great guy... middle management are quite pathetic, though.

Advice to Management

Get it together

"Dedidated employees, but management and pay are far behind the times."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I worked at Excelligence Learning full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is decent. There are occasions you feel the need to work over your schedule because if you don't you will fall vastly behind, but overall immediate management is a team player in this regard.

Perks: Company has consistent events that treat employees to food on occasion, and depsite what others may think, i feel our health insurance is great. Much improved in comparison from last time.

Cons

Office culture is dismal. There is classism between departments, and no one department seems to be be in sync with the other. Departments exert this classim in very minute, but distinct ways.

Compensation is also dismal. Depsite Excelligence growing from one company to four, no one has received a pay increase in over six years. Working in 2014 on a 2008 salary is not only infuriating, but also demeaning and feels like the employee has no value or incentive to continue. Attempts to ask for a salary increase have proved futile. It was advised, "I am grateful to still have my job. You should too." This is downright demeaning to long-term employees.

Management is lax and also frustratingly quiet on any important matters. Employee reviews are often months late to where it feels like they are intentionally being witheld in order to not pay their employees before deadlines of budgets at the end of the year.

Job opportunities are also weak. Having attempted to apply for multiple positions internally with the company, it was discovered that many of the jobs that are being applied have already been filled, wasting both my time and the manager's time. It was previously advised that "they had to put the position up as a formality." This is not only a waste of time, but also makes employees feel lack of self worth.

Advice to Management

Put your employees first. Your employees are dedicated, but you force their hand to leave in hopes of finding something better. Your employees used to be the glue that held the company together. Now it feels like we are at the mercy of an equity firm that has not communicated to us since their arrival.