Cover image for Excelsior College

Excelsior College

Engaged Employer

Excelsior College

Add a Review

Excelsior College Employee Reviews about "excelsior college"

Updated Apr 26, 2021

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,950

984 Comments

Teachers

218.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Excelsior College~128562
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Excelsior College? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Excelsior College employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Leadership and executive staff try to provide small concessions to boost employee morale, but a lot of work still needs to be done.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Long hours, pay is decent for a non profit, but still a non profit pay scale(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "excelsior college"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0

From bad to worse

May 8, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Many of the staff are dedicated to the mission of the college and hard-working. They are supportive and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Leadership has been and continues to be morally and managerially corrupt and bankrupt . There is no real diversity of opinion or of people which is bringing the college further down in a climate of complete mismanagement, misguidance, and mistrust. I fear daily for my job as do all of my colleagues. The situation is unbearable and only getting worse. The outlook is bleak . There is no one to trust in leadership . Everything has changed but the leadership.

9 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work!

May 2, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excelsior College is a great place to work. All of the staff are passionate about the college's mission and providing the best service to students. Additional pros include the company culture. There is not only a huge emphasis on work life balance, but it truly is a family atmosphere. All of executive leadership also encourages staff to feel free to contact them directly at any time. The President even has monthly college wide meetings where staff can attend he will speak freely about anything. The college also does a lot of nice things for employees such as college wide parties, employee recognition awards, ice cream socials, and more. This makes me feel valued and appreciated as an employee!

Cons

I do not believe there are any cons for working at EC. Parking is even free!

3. Join the Excelsior College team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0

On the Right Track

May 9, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excelsior College provides people an opportunity to complete their college degrees with flexibility, by allowing to transfer their credits from other regionally accredited college's; by transferring approved credit for their military service, by earning credit- by- examination (allowing students to validate what they know), and/or by a portfolio assessment. Excelsior allows all of these flexible options for people who are working and raising their families. Without Excelsior, our graduated students may not have been able to otherwise do so. As an employee of over 30 years, I have been through the good and the challenges Excelsior College has faced, and have found that we have pulled together to meet those challenges for the good of our students. This current challenge is no different. I respect the opinions of my colleagues who have shared their opinions in this format as well. I have had challenges at times as well, however I see the college in a very different light. Management at Excelsior do care about its' staff and students and both are the main focus. There isn't any organization that hasn't had to reorganize, or go back to it's core; that what Excelsior is going through currently. The journey has been articulated by President Baldwin and he has communicated the journey. It is up to staff to work together to enable Excelsior to thrive, and to help our students to be success in their pursuit of a degree. I have benefited by earning a degree in Psychology through Excelsior which enabled me to go on to get my Master's. Not only did Excelsior enable me to get a bachelor's and master's degree, I have been able to build a career here as well. Maybe the college has to work to better communicate about what we have to offer but the options are here for students and staff.

Cons

The challenges pertaining to Excelsior College are being addressed. The challenges didn't happen overnight and won't go away overnight. It's time to acknowledge them and to move forward together and not loose sight of the students; it is in fact who we are here to serve.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great mission, committed and talented workforce, challenging times

May 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

This college has stayed true to its mission of serving adult learners close to 50 years. The stories we hear at commencement of how Excelsior College made it possible for these graduates to achieve their dreams is truly remarkable! The college has traditionally and employee friendly culture!

Cons

Excelsior College is not immune to the challenges facing the higher education environment. The College had to go through some recent reorganization and restructuring to consolidate and tighten business operations. This has had a tremendous impact on employee morale and engagement!

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Excellent Benefits But Room For Improvement Overall

May 12, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent benefits...first 85% of medical deductible coverd by the college, automatic 7% retirement contribution by the college, gym reimbursement, ect. Slim but proficient HR department. Marketing team increasing proficiency.

Cons

While transparent not always truthful. Need feedback from front line staff. Departments don't always take accountability. Look within yourselves.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Admissions Counselor

Jul 19, 2013 - Admissions Counselor in Albany, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues and management in this unit are amazing, extremely personable down to earth and professional. Great Benefits- Healthcare, dental, Retirement- generous contribution from the college, tuition reimbursement for employees and their families, gym reimbursement, Verizon discount, extremely generous PTO, all paid holidays off, EIB, and other perks. Also, a lot of free training from IT unit.

Cons

I think depends on the type of person, you are tied to your desk and phones since this is a distance learning institution, phone volume can increase during busy months, but it's manageable plus it's good for business and job security.

8. 2.0

More Layoffs, As Predicted

May 10, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mission Driven. Good college for those underrepresented in higher education. Adults, minorities. Flexible for students.

Cons

The layoffs continue. Top Tier leaders not qualified. Job not secure.

11 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Ever upward

Jun 9, 2017 - Middle Management in Albany, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

At Excelsior College, you find a fantastic group of people that are committed to help adults to accomplish their academic goals. The work environment is caring and supportive of work-life balance. Diversity and inclusion are highly valuedy valuedy valued and employees are encouraged to share and participate in College-wide discussions. The institution invests in developing staff and supports internal growth and promotions. Educational benefits for employees are highly competitive. Professional development opportunities are available for those who are willing to walk the extra mile.

Cons

The College is recovering from a needed restructuring. Due to recent reorganization, some employees are still anxious and feel dissatisfied. It will take a while before everyone feels back to normal.

10. 4.0

Best place to work

Jan 31, 2022 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great new president. College is on a great trajectory.

Cons

Lots of changes sometimes hard to keep up

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews