KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Exceptional Software Strategies Reviews

Updated Dec 18, 2021

Found 13 of over 13 reviews

3.5
Exceptional Software Strategies President Paul J Stasko (no image)
Paul J Stasko

60 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

A company that cares about its people.

Jun 15, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Medical benefit has taken great care of my family.

Cons

Working remotely, it is sad that I can't partake in the headquarters events.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A Fish Rots From the Head Down

Dec 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- You get paid (mostly on time too!) - Great if you're looking to just do your thing and go home

Cons

- Incredibly toxic and hostile work environment, leading to low morale - Benefits being reduced year after year - Constant false promises and lying to employees - No opportunities for career growth - Salary increases are arbitrary and have nothing to do with performance Don't believe the astroturf'd reviews here by current employees. Avoid this place.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee

Ask Around Before You Join

Feb 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can work with minimal managerial oversight.

Cons

This company offers little in the way of competitive benefits or career opportunities even when compared to competitors of the same size. The work style and corporate values trend towards antiquated. During my time here, I found the advertised familial atmosphere to be dysfunctional and overly familiar. There is a lack of defined structure surrounding how benefits and salary increases are doled out to employees. Overall, if you are looking for a position where you can simply perform a job function with little to no managerial oversight, this is an excellent work environment for you. However, if you are striving to advance in your career or rely on benefits through your employment, you may be better suited looking for an opportunity elsewhere. This is a perfect ending company for those nearing retirement or simply looking for a job over a career.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Save yourself the stress

Jul 9, 2021 - Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company has some good benefits

Cons

Hostile work environment Mentally unstable C-level Blatant racism Run by someone who thinks they are a mobster and acts like it

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Small, but not too small

Oct 9, 2019 - Software Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy working for my immediate supervisor. I truly believe this person has my best interest at heart and wants to see me succeed. I feel like a valued member of the team with valued input. The upper management is accessible to me, although, I have not had a need to do so. The Company Culture is one of a company which is small enough to still care about the individual, but large enough to absorb the periods between contracts to a large extent. Another aspect I really enjoy is the implementation of the Monthly Utilization Bonus: if you meet all your hours, you get a small monetary “thank you” each month. All in all, a company I would recommend to someone.

Cons

Information needs to be disseminated more effectively. Important information can, at times, be slow to be perpetuated on down. I believe upper management feels they are protecting us, but this can have the opposite effect: the absence of information can lead people to speculate the “worst case scenario”. Conversely, events which have yet to materialize, should be released more conservatively: people tend to become desensitized.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Wouldn't want to work anywhere else

Oct 10, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been a part of The Exceptional Software Strategies family for over 8 years. I have worked for both large and small companies prior to this one, and I don’t plan to ever need to go to another company at this point. Straight out, ESS takes care of their people. We are one of the few companies that has a “bench” which is a great feeling of security if your contract ends. They give monthly utilization bonuses as well as a monetarily rewarded Employee Of The Month program. I personally know of multiple situations where the CEO helped employees with issues outside of the company purview. Sometimes using his own time and resources.

Cons

There was a bit of a rough spot where we were bumping heads with recruiting, and it was causing bad feelings even within the company, but thankfully, ESS hired a professional recruiting company and we can already see the fruition.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Employee focused company

Oct 10, 2019 - Principal Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

ESS looks out for its employees, from providing some of the best health insurance of similar companies to being committed to retaining employees through career advancement programs and keeping people "on the bench" between contracts. If you are looking for a place to put down some roots and make a career, this is it.

Cons

Overall communication can be improved. They do have a Section Manager structure for the "care and feeding" of employees that does pretty well in communicating out to the employees, but there is always room for improvement.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Worth Staying

Oct 9, 2019 - Systems Engineer in Linthicum Heights, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exceptional is a company that cares for the people. Not as employees but as family. Even when a contract ends, ESS works diligently to find another position to fit your skill set no matter how long it takes. I never fear sitting on the bench because I know eventually a job will come through. ESS takes care of their family.

Cons

So many exciting projects going on, I can't work them all!

9. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Do Not Apply Here!

Mar 18, 2020 - Software Developer in Fort George G Meade, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are really not any pros at this company. Most everything is a false promise.

Cons

Between the CEO, CFO, and BD staff you will get nothing but lies. Jonathan and Paul will screw you out of a paycheck. They do not pay on time or pay for travel on time.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Family oriented organization focused on growth and employee advancement

May 30, 2017 - Software Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Focused on the employee, and provides multiple opportunities to advance through their online learning and reimbursement programs. ESS is a family environment that truly looks out for the interest of their employees. Benefits are great, and they have an open door policy that starts with the owner of the company. Many additional benefits include clothing allowance, gym reimbursement and paid children savings bonds. Employees are knowledgeable, experienced, and always willing to collectively resolve issues.

Cons

Communication can be delayed when decisions come down from management. This has been improving, and it can be a challenge with employees in several locations to know the state of the company. While the company continues to grow in contracts/work, there is a shortage in the skilled workforce and that can leave positions unfilled.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews