Exelis Reviews in Greenbelt, MD | Glassdoor

1.9
Exelis President & CEO David F. Melcher
David F. Melcher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance with lots of hard working people (in 23 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, work life balance was good untIl schedule changed to 6 days a week (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management which road blocks innovation (in 12 reviews)

• Management changed in 2012 -- was no longer a place I enjoyed working at (in 9 reviews)

"poor value to the customer"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at Exelis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

high salaries for people who've been there a while

Cons

Haughty attitude but lack of relevant experience resulted in repeated and numerous mistakes on display for international users. Do not learn from mistakes, but repeated them. Not interested in new ideas, process improvement, etc.
    Displayed no effort to remedy numerous issues experienced with new contract.
    Very high value placed on long time employees, not so much on newcomers.
    I did not see an excellence in hiring, as I knew a number of poor performers that were hired on by them.

Advice to Management

Your lack of interest in exceeding expectations for the customer is going to catch up with you eventually.

"Engineers Beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD

Pros

Pay was good but it was absolutely necessary to negotiate during the interview process. Many opportunities to learn new things.

Cons

The management structure is horrible. They promote engineers to management that have absolutely no people skills at all. I have never been treated worse by a manager than I was at ITT. HR was an absolute joke.

I also noticed a lot of pay inequity for people performing relatively similar tasks.

Advice to Management

Managers should be examined when he/she has an extremely high turnover rate. Perhaps promoting people with good management skills and not just generally high performance would help.