Exelon Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Exelon President & CEO Christopher M. Crane
Christopher M. Crane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work load and hours can be very demanding at times but there are opportunities for work life balance (in 58 reviews)

• Expect occasional long hours and a collateral duty emergency response role (in 24 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Exelon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is great as well as the benefits. Upper management is accessible even for the lowest level employee. There is room to grow, and the culture allows you to feel comfortable moving positions and even departments. They are socially responsible and committed to diversity which is a great thing to see. An exciting time to work in Energy.

Cons

As with all big companies, it is hard to communicate sometimes across silos. Some steps can be taken to break down these barriers.

Advice to Management

Try to break down barriers and shift culture to a more open workplace and less departmental. This would improve cross-department communication.

Jul 25, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback! As a company we take great pride in providing our employees with a place full of career growth opportunities so they can have a career that meets their needs... More

2. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at Exelon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary
    Amazing benefits
    Growing company
    Good work life balance
    I love working here. The environment is great and they value you as an employee.

Cons

Need some culture changes in terms of supplier relations. Suppliers need to be held accountable for their transgressions. Work on building relationships with growing suppliers and help them, don't stick to one or two old suppliers.

Advice to Management

Look for younger people to promote from within. Management is older and has a more traditional view of supply, need innovative takes from a younger group.

Jul 25, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience and perspectives with us! We are ecstatic to know you enjoy working for the company. We consistently strive to provide our employees with growth opportunities... More

3. "Staff Accountant"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, alot of really smart people, awesome benefits, plenty of opportunities for advancement and to continue to learn, workplace flexibility is only improving and is already good, inclusive culture/workplace.

Cons

Depending on the group long hours can be expected occasionally however compared to many other companies it's not unreasonable. Communication between management and employees could improve at times as well as between groups within the company.

Advice to Management

Continue with initiative to create open channel of communication between employees and upper management.

Jun 29, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your willingness to share your experience with others and appreciate all the hard work you put in to support the company!

4. "Many hours but fairly compensated"

Current Employee - Radiation Physicist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Radiation Physicist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Competitive Pay. Many advancement opportunities

Cons

Emergency Response Requirements. Number of hours worked per week

Advice to Management

Give your employees a better work life balance and more of them will be retained

Jul 25, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback! We take great pride in ensuring the job satisfaction of our employees. We appreciate all your hard work and support.

5. "Corporate strategy analyst"

Current Employee - Corporate Strategy Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Strategy Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, stable career path. Good work-life balance

Cons

Operationally oriented culture, slow decision making

Jun 29, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for your comment and sharing your perspective! We take pride in offering our employees career growth opportunities across the entire corporation so they can have a career that meets their... More

"Senior Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Exelon takes care of their employees and advocates an open and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Pay scale can be improved.

Jun 1, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your feedback and insight. Thanks again!

7. "Sr. Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation, bonuses and benefits

Cons

Large company politics and slow

Advice to Management

Demonstrate the message you are delivering

May 23, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and perspectives with the Glassdoor community! Our greatest strength as a company is the talent and expertise of our employees - if you... More

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company pays very well and people are given chances to work in different areas of the company.

Cons

Everyone works very hard at there job.

Advice to Management

Management need to fill the openings faster.

Apr 14, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for posting a review of your experience at Exelon. Our Talent Acquisition Teams are always working to streamline the hiring process and bring in the best talent in the industry as we know... More

9. "Takes a while to make an impact"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Exelon full-time

Pros

Great culture overall, the employees are almost all easy to work with and very bright. Everyone is very passionate about the industry. The company is also well positioned to take on challenges in that the utility of the future will face. Exelon also offers a ton of flexibility for employees to move to various areas of the company in order to broaden their experience in preparation for advancement.

Cons

It seemed to me that it takes many many years of experience at the company before your opinions are valued or before you can have significant impact. The industry and company are massive and complex and do take significant time to gain expertise. Also, decisions seem to primarily be made at the extremely senior SVP and Chief levels, with very little influence or room for innovation at all happening in middle management or even Director level. Very interesting and innovative work can be had in Strategy and Constellation Ventures and special projects teams.

Advice to Management

With the future of the utility very uncertain and significant innovation still waiting in this industry, try to involve younger generations in new projects and ideation. Look also to eliminate waste of paper pushing in lower and mid management positions - there are vast inefficiencies that if eliminated can open up doors for mid level employees to actually contribute to growth rather than processes and procedures.

Apr 6, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for your comment! We are always looking for innovative solutions from our employees from interns to executives and trying to find new ways to engage our employees. We appreciate you... More

"Best overall"

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best most comprehensive benefits anywhere. Annual bonus. Cutting edge utility industry technology.

Cons

Expect occasional long hours and a collateral duty emergency response role.

Feb 20, 2017 – Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thanks for your comment! We appreciate your feedback and value your insight. Thanks again!