Exelon Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Exelon President & CEO Christopher M. Crane
Christopher M. Crane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work load and hours can be very demanding at times but there are opportunities for work life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Expect occasional long hours and a collateral duty emergency response role (in 25 reviews)

"Great place to start your next career"

Current Employee - Senior Project Controls in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Controls in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exelon is a fortune 100 company offering an absolutely Awesome culture, best and most comprehensive benefits. I can honestly say I love my job, and our workgroup all the way from our VP down thru the Directors, Managers, Supervisor and our workgroup

If you want a career where you are appreciated, valued and want to make a difference... Exelon is the place for you. My only regret is that I didn't' jump from my former employer and go to Exelon sooner!

The workplace is great, fun people encouraging work life balance. Leadership not only listens to employees they actively solicited input, support creativity, nurture innovation, career development and advancement. Employees are easy to work with and very talented. Teamwork and collaboration drive our success. Everyone is passionate, down to earth

Exelon is community focused, encourages and actively enables employees to give back to our communities and puts its money where it mouth is. As employees volunteer time and money Exelon gives additional bonuses to that company.

Finally, the on-boarding is very comprehensive and implemented well! Everything from HR thru your new job duties, goals, roles, responsibilities, procedures, and work flow are documented, easy to follow and easy to find. Exelon has an awesome company and employee portal!

Cons

(While this may be a con for the employee... it is a big pro for our customers)
    Expect occasional long hours and an emergency response role. Work load and hours can be very demanding at times but there are opportunities for work life balance.

We often have meetings and work thru lunch, however our management team appreciates our hard work and extra efforts by providing great meals

I work in downtown Philadelphia. And I dreaded considering a long commute into the city. It was the primary reason I didn't consider an Exelon career sooner. Now that I have been working here for just under a year. I have come to appreciate the flexibility our management team provides. They offer state of the are video conferencing tools and are very understanding and supportive with flexible schedules and reporting locations.

I can honestly say the pros far out weigh the cons!

Advice to Management

Continue the great work already being done. A sincere thank you to our leadership... I know you are listening. You many want to think about a program to encourage employees to help recruit other employees from their previous work life. It is easy to sell the benefits of working for Exelon and it might help spark additional innovation

May 1, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and perspectives with the Glassdoor community! We are thrilled to hear about the great experiences you have already had and that you are... More

"I'm leaving for greener pastures"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very accepting of the LGBTQ community
    Invests in new technology

Cons

Throws tons of money away on worthless software packages that everyone knew would be a money pit
    Spends billions buying another energy company and building a new building in Baltimore and then says they are too broke to give you a proper raise
    Worst HR department I have ever experienced in my life uninformed and unprofessional
    They act like they are the only game in town, but I have two interviews later this month with other Fortune 100 companies

Advice to Management

Invest in the people you pretend to care so much about and then you won't have to wonder why we are leaving. It's unacceptable to pay the CEO millions and millions and waste money by the hundreds of thousands of dollars and then say you are too broke to pay your employees fairly. Stop acting like we are possessions and not employees.

Nov 29, 2016 – Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your honest feedback. If you would like to provide additional information about your experiences at Exelon, please email... More

3. "New employee"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon full-time

Pros

They are about making decisions and not going through paralysis by analysis.

Cons

Need a better onboarding system. They need to create an all inclusive line by line single checklist to cover all benefits, my development, Etalent, PIP, health rewards etc. No info given on how, when and where this info is and how to complete. Also don't understand why salaried employees enter daily work hours. Have never worked anywhere that this was done

Advice to Management

See Cons section. Recommend that each checklist item that needs to be complete have a working link to take you to the appropriate page to complete.

Jul 12, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Programs Manager

Thanks for your review! We appreciate your mention of onboarding and are aware that we need to make some changes! Exelon has assembled an onboarding team for this very task and are working hard to... More

"Slow-moving company"

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Repetitive daily tasks if you do not like changes or challenges
    Low pressure at work
    Great place for people who are looking for retirement.

Cons

The relatively high review scores and extremely good reviews on glassdoor.com were most likely caused by some internal HR campaign. these are not reflecting what the real company is.

The HR policy and the company culture make promotions are extremely difficult.

Work life balance is difficult. You were required to work overtime without getting paid.

Managers are out of reach and do not know what the daily operations are, only showing up in office once every two weeks.

Technology used is very old and out of dated.

Benefits are not great for new employees.

The company asks employees to donate a lot of money to local charity every year, which is supposed to be a good thing. But the company does not match employees' donation, and the percentage of each department's donation becomes a KPI for managers, so every employee got pressure from managers to donate no matter what. Ethical?

"Workplace discrimination against Asians/Indians"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great benefits package and off-site cooperate training opportunities

Cons

Communication from management is minimal at best, the delegation and follow-through of projects lack focus and organization. Complaints and obvious problems are ignored creating low morale and the loss of good employees to other groups or new companies. The company comes up short with minority employee numbers, while the mass majority remains of the Caucasian race. As an Asian/Indian the discrimination has been shown through being passed over for promotions and positions to less experienced and educated colleagues... It is an obvious perception at my workplace that the Indian in the room is really smart, is a very hard worker - BUT, is probably a better sort of technical or behind-the-scenes thinker and not leader. When approaching management of these issues, the fact that I have an accent is given as their reasoning...because, obviously having an accent would effect my social skills or elevated technical skills developed through past experience and a Masters Degree earned at a highly esteemed American University!?!?!?

Advice to Management

Manage your groups, don't just loosely delegate projects. Follow through on employee reviews, and promote achievements. Don't hide behind the four walls and closed door surrounding your office. Try passing off some of the more technically difficult projects to the over-paid/over-appreciated yet under-educated/experienced "American" and see just how that works out for you.

May 4, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Programs Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive workplace where every employee has the opportunity to grow and contribute at her or his... More

6. "Senior Accountant"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits, also the location in Philadelphia was very easy to commute to via train.

Cons

Too much office politics. Very little chance for promotion.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee engagement. Staff often had great ideas which were brushed aside by upper management.

Jan 25, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Programs Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! We value your feedback and are happy to hear you had a nice commute. Thanks again!

7. "The Sky is the Limit"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Exelon is big on professional development. Training is encouraged. Opportunities are available if you are looking and willing to take them. I also enjoy the Diversity and Inclusion efforts that Exelon as a company promotes. We are strong in supporting community service.

Cons

As an employee there are many hats that need to worn. Time is valuable and things often take longer then you think. There are times the life work balance is hard to achieve.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work working as a team and breaking down barriers. Allow more time for you staff to be innovative.

Jul 16, 2015 – Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for posting your comment. It is great to hear that you recognize the efforts Exelon puts forth regarding diversity/inclusion and community service. Thank you again for taking the time to... More

8. "Stable and competitive"

Former Employee - Exelon Generation in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Exelon Generation in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exelon has a utility side and a competitive generation side...plus the ubiquitous corporate center functions. The company is generally conservative and stable. Compensation is very competitive with the market based on the particular business unit.

Cons

Bureaucracy, as it is in any large organization, can be disheartening depending on the individuals personality and the stated goal of the business unit.

Advice to Management

Perception of middle management by employees is often that their focus is more on "managing up" instead of managing the group of employees. Some managers can deal with the necessity of both.

Mar 12, 2015 – Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! Exelon values and appreciates the opinions of our employees. Thanks again!

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Exelon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Exelon for 5 and half years and overall it is an excellent company to work for. Total compensation package is top notch. Work /life balance is heavily promoted in most organizations within company.

Cons

Leaders tend to advance and promote who they like. Very political at times. Salary tends to be just average.

Advice to Management

Consider all employees for advancement opportunities.

Oct 28, 2014 – Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Exelon values the opinions of our employees and we appreciate your feedback. Thanks again!

"Engineer employed in PECO division of Exelon"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Generous salary when compared to other utiliy-based companies for the same position, good benefits, 401(K) and pension, and annual incentive bonus (based on company performance).

Cons

PECO division was downsized greatly ~ 20 years ago, so that the few that are still employed are over-worked, especially during storms. The lines that once defined your job "roles and responsibilities" are easily blurred given the right "business need" at the time. Knowledge level of company as a whole is lacking, and expected to get worse as those with 25, 30,40+ yrs. experience either move on or retire with the majority of the younger engineers having <5 yrs. of experience.

Advice to Management

Understand that your employess are just that, the employees, and do not live and breath PECO/Exelon. Workload should be monitored and kept at a resonable level to maintain efficiency and over-exhaustion of your employees.

Refrain from speaking to your employees as if it should be automatic that you do "xyz" for "the company", even though it may not be in your initial job scope/responsibilities. Lastly, speak to your employees with respect, and not as if they are your children. This last issue may be more localized to my personal experience, but nonetheless, should be addressed.

Jun 17, 2014 – Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for your feedback! We greatly value the opinions of all of our employees – present and past. We will be sure your feedback reaches the appropriate individuals at Exelon so we can help make... More