Exemplar Health Care Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 19, 2018

3.5
Euan Craig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great standard of care, but staff are undervalued"

Former Employee - Care Assistant
    Former Employee - Care Assistant

I worked at Exemplar Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a carer, the job is very rewarding on a personal level. The standard of care within the home I worked at was great. Occasionally time and a half, or double pay was offered.

Cons

Poor pay, no incentives, no progression routes - I signed up to do my NVQs twice, and during my time there (over a year), it never actually happened. No consistency in management. Although time and a half and double pay was offered, this was only if they were desperate for staff, and if you'd already picked up the shift before this was offered, you would remain on the basic rate. Based on both the physical and paper-based workload in a mental health environment, staff should be paid more than the minimum wage. The one occasion we tried to contact on-call whilst I was there, they never answered after several attempts. Often management staff don't understand service users, e.g. staff would be in the process of following an action plan to resolve a behavioural issue, when a member of management passing by would intervene without understanding the reasoning for their behaviours, making it more difficult for staff to control the situation when they'd left the unit.

Advice to Management

Look after you staff, and your high turnover rate may improve. It definitely isn't the role that's making them leave because its an amazing job, its how undervalued staff are.

2. "This company make you feel undervalued and worthless!"

Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Exemplar Health Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping service users maintain the best standards of living as they possibly can. I learnt a lot about working with people with mental health issues and found I loved setting up the feeds and the medical side more. I shall be looking to get and NHS medical role in the future.

Cons

Non the staff benefits and pay are poor the wage needs to be at least £12 per hour to work in and Exemplar care home dealing with mental heath service users. You get nothing but abuse. I found very few staff I could trust constant back biting and reporting of other staff. They then wonder why staff are always leaving. I had 27 points of my job role emailed me but due to hight staff turn over I only did about half. The home I was at you are made to feel guilty( by bitter staff members) for taking service users out and about. This was a key job role You would take SU tot he park and then you would come pack to staff moaning on the where only 3 left on the unit. The home managers do not seem to last long either the one at my home thinks she know it all but in reality she know very little about carers and care been given to service users. I gave my new job role 1000% while most seemed to think minimum wage minimum effort.

Advice to Management

Better organisation Is needed across the board very disorganised. I also feel better pay is needed to keep decent carers motivated and within the Exemplar company. Better support for staff and their health and well been. I was off with my own set of mental health issues. Management offered no support on my return to work. Less agency staff would be better and more direct employed staff would greatly improve the home I was in. A fair few service users complained near everyday about the staff turn over and they do not like agency staff as they feel they a fly by day/night staff. This is very upsetting when you have mental health issues and you are not been fed the way you like ect. Better staff benefits and pay would not got a miss. you nee to look at your competition and with maths staff benefits or come up with better. Topping up a gift card and getting £3 off is and insult and not worth the hassle when the are better deals direct or on discount websites. I also feel that when staff go out to hospital visit and other visits during shift with service users the needs to be some benefit for a food and drink allowance. I did over time one night I went to the hospital at 5/6 i did not get out till 10pm on the night. I had left my food and drink in my locker. I had no money on me so had to go hungry.

3. "Loving it so far!"

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Mansfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Mansfield, England (UK)

I have been working at Exemplar Health Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working alongside people who are passionate about making peoples' life genuinely better, and finding new ways to do that

Cons

It can be emotionally tough seeing the hand that some of our service users have been dealt in life but doing what we can so they can enjoy their lives more than compensates

Advice to Management

Keep listening to those doing the job and keep communicating with us about future plans

4. "One of the better companies in care home sectora"

Former Employee - Nurse in Castleford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nurse in Castleford, England (UK)

I worked at Exemplar Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great area management and above, good opportunities to develop and progress within the company. Training also the best I have encountered in the care home sector.

Cons

Pay behind average, and often nurses are on different wages for same role so be sure to negotiate. Home Management not great, several managers in a short space of time which lowers moral and feeling of support.

Advice to Management

Raise pay which would help retain and recruit nurses and lower agency use.
    Regulate home managers more as some are very unprofessional

5. "Not to be trusted"

I worked at Exemplar Health Care part-time

Pros

Can’t believe a word that is said at interview.

Cons

Difficult to find any, as title suggests.

Advice to Management

Communicate with her HR before offering jobs that don’t exist

6. "Good employer"

I have been working at Exemplar Health Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff genuinely care about the service users
    Good staff benefits
    Good opportunity to progress through completing NVQs

Cons

Nothing that I need to complain about

Advice to Management

Keep involved with the staff and changes they can suggest

7. "A Company that cares about its customers and staff !"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rotherham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rotherham, England (UK)

I have been working at Exemplar Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A CEO who is passionate about customers, staff and quality which feeds down throughout the business.

Cons

I'll let you know when I find one.

"Healthcare Assistant"

Former Employee - Nurse Aide in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nurse Aide in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Exemplar Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The facilities, standard of care and food their residents are provided is good. 2. Staffing levels of staff working in their care homes is good.
    3. The company's headquarters go about their business in good faith and in a professional manner.

Cons

1.Nursing levels are often low, and temporary nurses have to be recruited almost daily or weekly.
    2. Senior Care Assistants regularly ignore their job roles, to the detriment of their colleagues, residents and deliverance of care.
    3. Residents are often not asked, how they want their Care Homes to be run.

Advice to Management

Improve deliverance of care by communicating monthly with service users, their families and your staff about the daily operations of the homes.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Exemplar Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely wants the best for service users. Good staffing levels and company invests in their staff team. Great employer.

Cons

No complaints would highly recommend!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the service users families and staff.

"Exemplar"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Immingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Immingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Exemplar Health Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Homes are ran extreamly well, lost of organisation, staff are all fantastic! Shows a different meaning to care! Always over caring and showing deadication!

Cons

Always seems to be a lot of staff sickness