Exemplar Law Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 8, 2017

2.7
Christopher Marston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "OK place to start out."

Former Employee - Lawyer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Lawyer in Boston, MA

I worked at Exemplar Law Partners (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of responsibility to work directly with clients, and responsibilities are always changing.

Cons

In 2013, no benefits like health insurance or sick time.

Advice to Management

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞

2. "Applicants/Clients do your due diligence"

Former Contractor - Attorney
    Former Contractor - Attorney

I worked at Exemplar Law Partners as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I began working with Exemplar Law Partners because it seems to be a fresh, innovative law firm, with spectacular growth into a nationwide law firm within a short time and a great next step in my career.

Cons

I was remarkably wrong in my initial assessment. Found representations about firm to have been misleading. I also ended up holding the bag of client responsibilities and ethical obligations when company refused to take corrective actions to mode of doing business. Cost me thousands of dollars to ensure clients' rights weren't going to be jeopardized as I extricated myself from working for Exemplar.

Advice to Management

The practice of law is not a free for all; there are rules and regulations. Comply with ALL regulations governing the industry. I hope management has made changes since I left.

3. "Values, Integrity and a Company that stands for something meaningful"

Current Employee - Attorney, Vice President in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Attorney, Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Exemplar Law Partners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'm a little surprised to have read one of the other reviews, because I've worked at Exemplar nearly 10-years now and can confirm that our firm is serving several hundred accounts and last I checked by looking around the office, everyone is still here. I've worked with Chris for a long span of time, helped build the team here, and the company has infrastructure, solid management, and the values of the leadership are, in fact, solid. This is a meritocracy model, and the best rise, and the weeds get rooted out fast (perhaps explaining why a mere contractor might post and make up a fake story). There is no other firm out there that is holistic, non-hourly billing, and truly cares about its clients and colleagues. There is a reason I'm still here, and I'm not going anywhere. Its a shame that I had to feel compelled to post a response to the garbage review above, but for professionals who want to serve companies that are game-changes, or social impact businesses, there is no other growth-oriented firm out there. Chris invests heavily in training all of us on value-theory, pricing, and value-creation, as well as the new practice equation. I've never felt more supported in my professional career.

Cons

Exemplar has key differences from other firms that make it a place for a particular kind of professional. if you are self-driven, dont want to count your life in 6-minute increments and bill by the hour, really want to care about the clients you work with, and want to work with clients who are doing meaningful work, disrupting industries,changing the world, this is the place for you. The values are very important, and particularly to Chris, and if you dont share the values, you probably should skip the application and move on somewhere else. If you are looking for a place to be fed, free-ride, or have a "guaranteed" job regardless of the value you are adding, its also not the place for you. The management has gone to great lengths to create a true meritocracy and collaboratory, and all of the boats rise with the tide as the synergy between team members grows. Chris will weed out the bad ones and prefers drivers to riders on this bus, and I dont blame him. . . my experience as a colleague has shown that other practitioners who are serious and dedicated make much better colleagues and cross referral sources to add value to the customers we serve than the rest. This is a "what you put in is what you get out" environment. if you lean into it, show you care and are authentic about the values, you will get as much training and attention from leadership (and me) as you can handle. If you come for free lunch, you might just starve to death.

Advice to Management

Perhaps higher scrutiny up front on independent contractors who might be included to write ill-informed posts like the above. Its a waste of breath to have to explain why Exemplar is obviously better than slavery, AKA, the alternative.

4. "Highway Robbery for Potential Employees / Clients"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Exemplar Law Partners (Less than a year)

Pros

Exemplar's value prop attracts very interesting clients and potential employees. The potential is there if you treat people and businesses with respect and stop lying

Cons

No salaries, no training and no support. I'm dead serious. Make sure you do your research before joining the team as majority of what Chris Marston says is BS. Here are some examples: They have 10-15 clients, not 200. There are 4 full time employees, not 40. They are not a tax and accounting firm, they outsource it to another firm and bill more. They have a Finra IB, but have 0 licensed brokers and 0 deals in the last 24 months. I stopped working with Chris because he takes advantage of clients and employees. If you are a prospective employee look for other employers. They have not had a new hire stay for longer than 6 months in the last 4 years. Over 20 people came and went while I was there. If you are a prospective client: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ask to see the offices, talk to an employee from each group ( Tax, accounting, banking, law and consulting)(Or ask for a contact list of all the employees from the departments and call them...they will be fake).. Chris will also say " we do that all the time" or " we do six deals a month". These are 100% lies, so just ask for the proof and then he'll start rambling. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't throw money at flexpertise, Chris will take anyone on flexpertise regardless of if it is the right thing for them / the company.

Advice to Management

Your VP is unique and could be something interesting. Lieing to clients, and employees is not how you are going to make it happen. Chris, strive to become a good person and find purpose in your life.

5. "Alive with Entrepreneurial Spirit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

As an inherent services provider start-up, Exemplar operates with a "can-do and will-do" mentality to get the job done. In agreement with the other 2 posts, Exemplar is not the place for slackers and "baby birds". The first and foremost quality every team member must possess is the ability to begin, grow, and sustain a business. Every Exemplar team member possesses such qualities, and will be able to contribute to Exemplar Companies' growth in 2010!

Cons

Exemplar Companies offers unique, individualized business development and legal services to aspiring entrepreneurs, start-ups, and mid-market companies. Exemplar team members must be able to multi-task since each member contributes services in many aspects for every customer. Multi-tasking team members sustain the business, and it is only by doing so which will allow the Exemplar Companies' team to further strengthen and grow in 2010.

Advice to Management

The Exemplar team is only as strong as it's weakest link. Keeping the focus on team growth is management's biggest challenge in the year to come. Can-doers with a natural entrepreneurial vigor will strengthen the team, and will ultimately strengthen the foundation.

"Applicants beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

If you are an attorney fresh out of not that known of a school, you probably can get a "job" there. To be fair, with no jobs in the field of law for the past several years, any job is a good job.

Cons

Unfortunately, your pay is basically commissions, no matter how the founder calls it or sugar coats it. Structure is also overly complex and only understandable by the CEO.
    There are no real experienced attorneys on staff either to mentor you.

Advice to Management

Get with the real world, maybe then you will not need to go to court to fight lawsuits from your former employees.