KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 14 of over 14 reviews

4.4
  1. 5.0

Awesome, supportive work environment

May 19, 2021 - Technical Recruiter in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA, Optional[CA]
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexible, relaxed work environment, great boss, great work atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes difficult to make money

2. 5.0

A place to excel

Apr 12, 2021 - Technical Recruiter in Sherwood, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Supportive and friendly team and a CEO who has a lot of experience - Competitive atmosphere without condescension or toxic rivalry - Open environment to ask questions and bounce ideas off of each other - High earning potential with minimal downside

Cons

- It takes hard work and grit

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, incredible mentorship

Apr 12, 2021 - Technical Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can be incredibly successful if you listen to the mentors that exist here. Great healthcare plan, solid 401K plan w/ contribution, great coworkers.

Cons

I don't have any, I thoroughly enjoyed working here for the 2 years I did.

4. 5.0

Expanxion changed my life

Jul 1, 2020 - Senior Technical Recruiter in Westlake Village, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- CULTURE, CULTURE, CULTURE - Financial opportunities & stability - Incredible benefits - Great leader - Close collaboration

Cons

None that I can think of

5. 5.0

Work Hard, Play Hard

Feb 28, 2020 - Technical Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

The bottom line is that you will get out of this company what you put into it. If you’re self-motivated, you will be successful in this job. If you’re passive and expect to skate by half-assing your work, this is probably not the right job for you. The CEO and managers are very hands-on and will give you the tools and training to be successful — it’s what you do with it that will make or break you. It’s very much a ‘work hard/play hard’ environment, and you can make a lot of money if you build your network with the right clients. There are monthly team outings, team-building lunches, and earned Vegas trips to incentivize teams to work hard. Definitely a fast-paced environment, but fun to be a part of. For the most part management is very supportive, and the CEO is someone I’d definitely work for again.

Cons

There’s very much a close-knit, family type feeling at Expanxion. Sometimes, as with most smaller companies, it can be easy to get pulled into office politics. As long as you’re able to keep your head down and focus on your work, you will be fine.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Success is not for everyone..But Expanxion sets you up for it!

Jul 2, 2019 - Technical Recruiter in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA, Optional[CA]
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive, fast-paced environment that is very fun. Plus, doesn't hurt that they offer top of market fees and commission rates. The managers are very hands-on, and set everyone up for success. Lots of collaboration, and almost everyone spends time with each other outside of work.

Cons

Being that compensation is purely commission-based, you really need to be a self-starter to find success in this business. Management will do everything in their power to set you up for success, but it's up to you to take care of the rest. Also, there's lots of advice and collaboration exchanged between everyone, if you can't take any form of constructive criticism, this may not be for you.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Gave me the tools to change my life!

Dec 5, 2018 - Senior Technical Recruiter in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA, Optional[CA]
    Business Outlook

Pros

Solid training and leadership by the CEO. If you do what is asked of you and remain open to coaching then ExpanXion will give you the keys to success.

Cons

No real "cons". The operation is based on KPI's which while can be a bit annoying really establishes best practices in the individual.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Very rewarding if you can perform, hostile environment if you can't.

Mar 29, 2018 - Senior Technical Recruiter in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA, Optional[CA]
    Business Outlook

Pros

The money is great if you can close deals. A mediocre agent should clear 100k easily considering the commission structure. Some of the employees were very nice and made it a welcoming environment. The benefits were solid too, and if you lasted long enough, your healthcare was covered 100%. That's about all I can say about Pros.

Cons

Pay: Remember how i said you could make 100k+/yr? You can. I did. The problem is it is commission only. If you aren't lucky enough to close a deal during the 3 month trial period, you're SOL. Deal cycles are long and you may not see payment for months on a deal you closed. If a deal unwinds (the recruit gets fired or leaves) during the probation period, you're on the hook for your commission and have to give it back or have it taken out of future checks. Hope you closed more deals! Management: Favoritism at it's finest. You are liked if you perform, but they seem to have the memory of goldfish. If you don't perform well for one month, you're out of the inner circle and treated poorly. Critiques are done publicly to shame employees. Some of the managers seemed to genuinely enjoy picking on their employees. Hours: The job is commission only. They expect 8 hours a day at least and make you clock in. Then they expect you to work after hours at home doing more work so you can make it. The main issue here is that if you don't work as hard as the boss, who has a fantastic work ethic, but zero work/life balance, you are considered a slacker. If you can do 8 hours of work in 4 hours and the company is commission only, you should only have to work that hard. COmmission only means results are all that matters. Infighting and backstabbing: Because of the cutthroat nature of the job, employees are constantly backstabbing and blatantly lying about other employees to try and get ahead. I've never been in such a hostile environment. Employee turnover: Look at the length of time most of the employees have on their linkedin page. A vast majority are less than a year, and as of this posting, it looks like a good number are less than 3 months. Turnover is high. There was a period where half the company quit because of disagreements with management style.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place to work!

Mar 14, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The owner/manager, and the type of manager and person he is. He is one of the pioneers of the industry, and is a great teacher and leader. It was a great privilege to be able to work with him. He is of course an expert in the field, but is also very down to earth and fun to work with. He was always easily accessible, with an open door policy that enabled great relationships with his employees. He was very accommodating and generous to his employees. I personally learned a lot from him and he made me a better worker as well as a better person. Like a great coach, he had a great balance of always pushing me to be greater, as well as supporting me through my struggles. Most people would dream of having a boss like him, and many people who worked for him would say he was the best boss they ever had. The income potential. There were a lot of people making a lot of money relatively quickly. Many people there made far more money than they ever had in their lives, and much more than they probably would have made anywhere else. This was partly due to the lucrative nature of the industry, but also due to the nature of the company. The tools, resources, and deep network of contacts that the company provided were extensive. So I was able to make a lot of money by using those resources. In addition, the compensation structure was much more generous than other recruiting firms I had interviewed with. If I was doing the same work in similar/competing companies in the industry (many of which I interviewed with and could have chosen to join before choosing to join Expanxion), I would have made a fraction of the money I was able to make at Expanxion. Although the commission could be considered team-based, it really was both based on individual performance as well as contribution to the team. What was great is that people’s commission was not just based purely on individual production, because the owner wisely knew that such a structure could lead to a cut throat environment (which often happens in sales environments). So the design of the commission structure that the owner had was brilliant in that it rewarded one’s overall contribution to the team. It of course considered individual production, but also intangibles such as hard work, a good attitude, and helping one’s team mates. The point of the team based commission structure was to remind and incentivize people to put the team/company success ahead of their own individual agenda. And that worked well for both the team as well as the individual. Commission amounts for individuals were fluid, and would be adjusted appropriately based on the individual’s performance. So I didn’t have to wait for raises or promotions to be paid commensurate with my contributions. The people and culture. The company hired a lot of great people. The environment was fun, yet we worked hard as well. People had a great sense of humor, and often forged friendships that extended beyond the workplace. The owner very generously would take us out on fun company excursions. One unexpected and cool memory was one day that the owner just decided to take everyone to a movie in the middle of the day. He also would reward highly productive months with very generous company-paid trips to Vegas. That was always a good time; even though I don’t like Vegas, the comradery and team bonding it promoted was great. The work itself was great. It was challenging, yet fun and mentally stimulating. It was a pretty comfortable gig, to be able to work in a nice office all day, in a great environment with great people, and just talk to people for a living. The impact of the work was satisfying. It was great to be able to help job seekers in landing new jobs that they love, and helping companies grow their teams. Many of the companies we worked with ended up successfully getting acquired or going public later. And since we worked in the tech industry, it was cool that we were doing our part to contribute to the innovations of tomorrow, helping to grow companies that were developing technology that was changing humanity.

Cons

The business of recruiting itself is competitive. So this place would not be good for people who lack competitive drive. There’s a lot of rejection, and even some angry people you encounter. So you need thick skin to able to deal with that. The good thing is that this aspect of the business can forge character; I was able to develop my mental toughness and thick skin a lot by working there. But some people will not want to or be able to deal with it. I remember one interviewee even cried in the interview! As mentioned earlier, the team based culture is great in many ways. But it would not be a fit for people who don’t get along with others, have inflated egos, or poor interpersonal communication skills. I actually had some struggles with this aspect of the company myself due to my immaturity and inexperience, but in the end by keeping a positive attitude and taking the coaching of the owner, I was able to overcome my deficiencies, learn a lot, and grow into a much better employee. But looking back, there were a few employees here and there who struggled with the team aspect of the company, or would tend to create drama with others. They had some of the problematic character traits mentioned, and probably would have been better suited in a less collaborative environment. After giving what I considered to be more than adequate training, there was a lot of autonomy for employees to go ahead and do their job without too much hand holding. The business is such that it’s impossible that every person who tries it will end up being productive. So at a certain point it has to be either “sink or swim.” And for those who can’t swim, I think they’d be upset to realize that. Some of them may even blame it on a “lack of training.” But I can attest that the training was sufficient enough to create many highly successful employees. And any lack of success that any individuals experienced was certainly not due to a lack of training.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Expanxion gives "Careers" to those who come here with "no experience"

Feb 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Making a six figure income is the norm in a recruiter position. We are a small company with a small company mentality; not a corporate environment, We are close knit bunch with a family feel. Vegas trips for team motivation is not so bad either. We are a sales organization but we do offer schedule flexibility. The CEO sets you up with a "a career" not just a job. Anyone that works here and moves on should feel nothing but grateful for the opportunity and the life lessons taught at this company. This company has an open door policy and it is 100% encouraged. If this is not the job for you, I encourage you to move on to greener pastures with a smile. There is no need to be miserable here or anywhere. Life is too short to be anything but happy for another day on earth.

Cons

Employee's are expected to work an "8" hour day (actually work; some see this as a negative.) Job can be frustrating during the learning process and exhausting mentally in the beginning.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews