Expedia Content Editor Reviews | Glassdoor

Content Editor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Very demanding, need better work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• High upper management has in the last 3 years or so started cronyism (in 46 reviews)

"Great company for telecommuters"

Former Contractor - Content Editor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expedia is a great employer for contract workers who prefer to telecommute. Most managers were committed to helping you succeed and the weekly online training meetings were very helpful in keeping one up-to-date on changes.

Cons

There are absolutely no benefits or job security , but if you can master the training and stay focused on results,you may be fortunate to have your contract renewed yearly. Pay is a bit low but when weighed against the amount of time I would lost sitting in traffic to get to the office, I was prepared to work for less pay.

"Process analyst"

Former Contractor - Content Editor/Writer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Contractor - Content Editor/Writer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great company vibe, and it feels like all ideas are welcome. There is an enthusiasm for the company and its many subsidiaries. There is also a great sense of transparency. Salary and benefits are competitive, the location is convenient, and the new building in Interbay is amazing.

Cons

In IT, where I was, there had been a recent re-org. At first that led to a culture of excitement and openness but it quickly turned to one of caution and fear. This led to paranoia and pettiness. It's odd because everyone is very talented but it's like someone came in and said, You're spending too much, and everyone just froze. New ideas were taken as ways to waste money and conversations were stymied for fear of sounding mutinous.

Advice to Management

Don't clench when your costs go a little high, just course correct gently. The enthusiasm of your employees is your greatest asset. Making one little group work nights and weekends simply because you won't hire some help is a great way to lose the whole department.

3. "Nice People, Fun Job, Lousy Pay for Contractors"

Former Contractor - Content Editor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very pleasant environment that values productivity, and not nearly as soul-crushingly intense as some other large employers in the region. I also got to work from home, which was great.

Cons

The pay for editorial contractors is very low by industry standards. Similar jobs at Amazon and Microsoft pay 40% more.

"Arbitrary promotions"

Former Employee - Senior Content Editor in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Content Editor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

About half my colleagues were qualified for their positions and worked hard, were team players, and proved invaluable resources.
    The benefits are pretty good to begin with the exception of vacation time. After about 5 years at the company vacation duration improves.

Cons

Management, upper management, and executive level employees do not solicit much input from their directs, and promotions often seem arbitrary instead of based on merit.

Advice to Management

Involve those who will be reporting to a new manager to be part of the hiring/selection process.

"Expedia hires diverse, smart, talented people."

Current Employee - Content Editor in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Content Editor in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stipends for travel and exercise activities; great healthcare benefits; generous vacation time. The employees are really smart--they hire for team-fit first, which helps keep the group dynamics strong.

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement and there's still an all-boys' culture that they're starting to dismantle, slowly.

Advice to Management

Expedia is growing into a larger global presence at a fast pace. Managers need to check in regularly with their teams to ensure everyone's on board with the changes.

Expedia Response

Mar 18, 2015 – Team Expedia

Thanks for your feedback and contributions at Expedia. Thank you also for acknowledging the changes that we’ve embarked upon regarding our company culture. We are committed to being an inclusive ... More

"Horrible company"

Former Contractor - Hotel Content Editor in Bellevue, WA
    Former Contractor - Hotel Content Editor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I liked my coworkers and the work was sometimes fun. I enjoyed the customer service aspect of the job. Contractors telecommute, which is a huge benefit

Cons

The wages for contract editors are insultingly low, especially given the complexity and difficulty of the work. I felt exploited and not valued. The work was not temporary in nature, but part of their routine services, yet they primarily hire temps to do it and there are rarely opportunities for permanent employment. But maybe that's a "Pro," because I would not have wanted to work there on a permanent basis. Editors are subject to a very stringent and ugly quality control process, but I never got the impression that they cared very much about the quality of the content or about the user experience with the content.

8. "Simple"

Former Contractor - Content Editor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly office and coworkers, working from home, plenty of support, flexible schedules, variety of work and projects.

Cons

Large amount of staff is not in office and on temporary contracts, and some of the tasks can be tedious.

"Like being paid to receive a frontal lobotomy"

Former Contractor - Content Editor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor

Pros

Good work/life flexibility. My position was telecommute, so I could work from home in my jammies. Requests for time off were always granted.

Cons

Shockingly low wages for a multimillion dollar company. Content Editors make $17.50 an hour, which in the Seattle market means an endless struggle to have any money left over after paying for the city's astronomically high rents. Since it was telecommute anyway, I solved this issue by being a shed boy in Jefferson County for most of my tenure. Don't expect to live the good life in Seattle on what Expedia pays.

I was warned in advance that this would not be a creative position, but nothing could have prepared me for the Expedia approach to editing, which essentially throws out anything that might improve the readability of dreadfully written product descriptions. All it amounts to is shuffling a fixed set of hotel amenities from one interchangeable write-up to the next. Editors are not even expected to proofread their own work -- hello??? In a conference call, one of the managers actually said, "Don't try to make anything sound better; that only creates more work for everyone." Given these conditions, the hotel property and room descriptions all sound more or less exactly alike. Very boring. Almost all of them are written in passive voice, and a great many of them were penned by a computer software program or by someone who was not a native speaker of the English language. Not being able to stomach this dismal state of conducting business, I spent a lot of time rewriting or otherwise untangling the garbled descriptions. Most of my colleagues only did Control F copy/paste "editing," and that's all that's really desired by the lazy, unimaginative managers.

Advice to Management

Bring humanity into the quality control process. Stop "reviewing" the editors as if they were heads of cattle. Raise the hourly wages to above $20 an hour. Get rid of the Control F "method" of editing; write about hotels as unique places, not as mere receptacles for this or that amenity; banish the verb "offer" from your vocabularies and especially cease and desist from using the feeble construction "is offered." Get a sense of humor about yourselves and do not humiliate employees who gently make fun of the hotel descriptions on the company's private Yammer page. Do not let unhappy bureaucrats (mis-)manage creative people. Trust editors to have astute judgment about what is and what isn't good writing.

"Great place to start, but instability leads to unecessary turnover."

Current Employee - Content Editor/Writer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Content Editor/Writer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Great benefits package (travel, medical, etc). Great stepping stone. If you get on the right team, great relationships can develop.

Cons

Upper management can be unstable and hard to get behind and trust. Employees can often feel undervalued and overworked. Confoundingly, salaries are not competitive with regional/global markets, especially considering Expedia is one of the top in its field.

Advice to Management

Better flexibility and openess to change/maintaining a hold on competitive development and innovation. The company has 5,000+ employees, it only seems to follow that we should be on top of our game with innovation and really follow our company mantra and promise to customers. This is often not the case.

11. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Content Editor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Content Editor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working there. The people are amazing.

Cons

Communication from upper management can me confusing, as is the case with many large international companies.