Expedia Group Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 24, 2020

3.9
Expedia Group Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Peter Kern
Peter Kern
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Good company and benefits"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Database Developer

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Travel industry is fun and rewarding selling a product for leisure. Good travel incentives and PTO.

Cons

A lot of the IT field is is understaffed. Stock options are only given to upper management.

Continue reading
  2. "Good growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Culture is great - Competitive salary - Always feel like I'm able to learn new things - managers look out for your career

Cons

- Reorgs for days, upper management loves to reorg

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great culture culture and benefits. New Campus is great

Cons

Constant re-orgs and upper management with no clue on what is going on

"12% layoffs"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work/life balance was good - Smart, helpful colleagues - Nice office and location

Cons

- Layoffs, 12% of workforce, due to 1 quarter of below-forecast financial performance - Snide remarks from upper management about work/life balance, calling into question the future of this benefit

Continue reading

"good place to work, if you only want to work"

Former Employee - Database Developer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good benefits, they had a good health plan, and offer good benefits for paternity/maternity and paid parking. lots of company sponsored lunches, events. Good communication from executive team, ample of townhalls and email communication. awesome holiday party and halloween celebrations.

Cons

upward mobility is difficult, if you do not mix around with the right folks and get along with them. a lot of secrecy in decision making, even in simple things like approach to a project. seems like they want people to just agree and do what is told, without understanding anything :( . middle management is only concerned about keeping up their appearances with upper management, and will sabotage any efforts by the team members to shine. depending on the team, work life balance can be impossible , but not all teams are like that.

"Great company to work for... if you're in the right department."

Former Employee - Engagement Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to work at Expedia for 3 years. I started out as a contractor in one department then was able to make my way into a permanent position in another department. I will list out below about the positives of working here. -Work/Life balance is fantastic for a corporation. I feel like the Expedia as a whole cares about their employees and wants to make sure they can actually have a life outside of work. Over-time, at least in my positions, was never a thing. If you couldn't finish your work, you just come back to it the next day without sweating it. -Benefits are solid. Starting out of the gate, you get 15 days of PTO plus 2 floating holidays. You also have 401k, health insurance options, health and wellness reimbursements up to $600 bucks and a bit of travel reimbursements. They are also willing to match up to 6% of what you invest for 401k. If you happen to work at HQ, they also provide an onsite health clinic and gym for employees. -Flexible schedules - I started my day at 6am every day just to be able to beat out traffic and was out of the office generally at 2-2:30pm. -They work hard on making sure everyone feels welcome and included no matter race or culture. They put an effort into having company events for a wide variety of different holidays. -Managers that you can relate with. I had excellent managers that actually care about how you are doing and want to know what is going on in your personal life to better accommodate you in the office. -They do want to retain people when they can. If you do your job well as a contractor, there is a good chance that they are looking to make you into a permanent employee, unlike companies like Amazon that will work people hard for 3-6 months then toss them out like office trash.

Cons

Depending on what department you get into, it can affect how you work and how you might feel about your job. -Some departments love using time trackers such as the Omni tool to keep tabs of what their employees are doing during the day. Upper management will say that they don't micromanage until they force your direct manager to sit down and talk about your numbers to find out how you can be 'more efficient' even if you already have good numbers. -Upper management will sometimes blatantly ignore what is being said among their employees. If big changes are made to the department, they rather stay the course even if it's burning out their workforce, just to say that something is working even though it isn't. -There isn't much room for advancement. Managers/leads tend to stay in the company for a long time, so those who are below them will hit a point where they can't advance and compensation ends up not being enough. -If you don't use all your PTO in the year, it's gone. There is no rollover for PTO but there is for sick time. Managers do make sure to mention this to their employees pretty often throughout the year but there should be some rollover. -The HR department is an absolute wreck. First off, you would think a corporation of this size should have a physical department on-site at HQ. Every one of them is remote, which makes it extremely difficult to get anything done in a timely manner. When you have something pressing to talk to HR about, you can expect it to be anywhere from 2-5 days of waiting. Yep, DAYS!!! It's infuriating when you are trying to be time conscious and they don't seem to give a damn. -If you are applying for a job, don't expect to hear back from them anytime soon. Expect on average about 50+ days to hear back from them, even if it is just to send a rejection.

Continue reading
  7. "Nice Mid-size company."

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company to work for. Have a work-life balance and good commuter / gym benefits. Also Health insurance is at par or better than other companies.Good time Off policy .

Cons

Need for upper management to improve on their vision.

8. "Great company, good work culture"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia Group for more than a year

Pros

Good work culture. Even contractors feel welcomed here. Great work life balance.

Cons

Some upper management can be avoidant of some employees, but that maybe due to contract status.

9. "Expedia Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Upper management need to do better

"Market associate"

I worked at Expedia Group

Pros

Great work and life balance; good benefit. A lot of internal transfer opportunities. Well paid compared with other firms in the industry

Cons

Sales can be frustrated; there are tough situations. Limited support from upper management. Other than this not much to complaint.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 69 English Reviews