Expedia Reviews | Glassdoor

Expedia Reviews

Updated July 10, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get to be part of an industry-leading company while work-life balance is still achievable in the Market Associate position (in 366 reviews)

• Work environment and flexibility is exceedingly good (in 153 reviews)

Cons
  • Little bit problem for work life balance if you are keen to learn new things you have to give more times to office (in 87 reviews)

• Expedia continues to higher terrible people managers, whom have never managed people and then are not monitored by upper management (in 47 reviews)

1. "Very disappointed!"

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst
    Current Employee - Fraud Analyst

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pro....the benefits which is very nice. I like the location.
     There are a lot of departments and I hope they are different from the Fraud team.

Cons

Leadership,.
    Lazy , rude and unprofessional management.
    You see all over Expedia about transparency, but the leadership on my floor still does not know what that means.
    Fraud team from the whole Expedia in Bellevue has a PM shift. Employees that work on PM shift are treated by ERS like ghosts. All the team parties, recognitions lunches to celebrate whatever, happen on AM shift, meaning that the employees from PM never enjoy anything , like they don't even exist.
    No chance to grow in your career. Most of the big companies like to incentive the employees to move on, to grow. Management should not be allowed to be at the same position for more than 3-5 years it should rotate. Do you know why? After few years at the same position, doing the same thing, the person automatically become lazy thinking that already know everything and won't put extra energy to innovate the business. With
    rotation, you will always get people with new energy, new vision for the business, new ideas, etc.
    The opportunity to grow is so bad, that there is a manager doing the same thing for over 10 years ( just a reminder that is not even the most high level manager), and few employees doing the same job also for over 10 years. How they didn't become even a supervisor???
    Also, the lack of the leadership is amazing.
    Expedia wants to talk about team work and helping each other, but the manager doesn't even look to your face. Totally rude! How do you expect a good feedback from an employee having a manager that started on a team, worked with for about few weeks and NEVER introduce himself? Ignored the employees for a few weeks until he finally decided to introduce himself.
    I can't say for the whole Expedia since I have been only in one team, I am referring about the Fraud team.
    The environment is soooo negative that it drags you down too.
    To be honest I should not even say leadership since there are no real leaders at the team.
    The tools to work!!!! What is that??? Internet extremely slow.
    Before working at Expedia, I was very excited , but after few months and getting to known the company, to better say my team, I was very disappointed.
    There are no support for the employees complete the job.
    For example, Fraud requires people that speak different languages, and it is always and issue.
    We simple asked for the company provide Rosetta Stone for free to the employees since the job requires different languages, but they don't want to spend the money with that.
    Language in this team is necessary and provision few Rosetta Stone to the employees to be able to learn at least the basic of the other languages, it will make. Huge difference.
    This is on thing that I will also give as an example for management rotation. If the manager knows that different languages in his department is crucial, why the manager never provided the Rosetta Stone to help the employees at least learn the basic to help their job and the business.

Advice to Management

Did you ever heard about the open door communication?
    This is the second step to succeed since the first one is to learn to be a leader and at least knowledge and and look to the employees face.

"Good if you're not a California employee"

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

Great new building and still close to BART. Employee benefits are great. The longer you work, the more money they give you to spend back into the company to travel. Great maternity coverage.

Cons

In this day and age, would like to work with a team that's more diverse. The California team is mostly caucasian and not very diverse. Problems are swept under the rug. If you were referred into the company by the current Director, you'll get promoted even if you're not qualified.

Advice to Management

Interview the current teams individually. We're all afraid to say something because HR is there to protect the bosses.

"Below avg tech company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you can slack, No need to work beyond 2 hrs per day. A company for losers, who are industry rejects, who cant get a job elsewhere.

Cons

Pay is below wayyyy avg. Example:market rate is 200K, expedia pays 125k. Middle management is extremely heavy. More managers than developers.
    The tech stack is a joke and outdated. Every 5-8 people team has a incompetent director who are yes-men to their bosses. The team morale is low and keep missing deliveries. The teams are composed on incompetent industry rejects. There is no company wide initiative to build tools which help everyday dev work , like build systems deployment systems, there is no capacity planning. Company gets hacked breached by intruders as the security of the network is very weak. The expedia website goes down and remains downs for hours. The management does not care about customer experience and does not refund customers who are eligible to get refund (Like cancellations, bad experience),Company looses bookings and customers are not even refunded. People who give glorious review are paid reviews. The employees are paid by $100 gift cards to give glorious reviews.

Please dont work for them. Doing a minimum wage job is better than working at expedia. Anyway pay is also similar to min wag job. This company will not exist in business in 5-6 years.

Advice to Management

Time is up, pack off and get ready to close the company down. The outside competition will kill you. you are walking while others are driving.

4. "Really???"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice people, great snacks

Cons

More work, less pay, layoffs!

Advice to Management

Listen, learn move forward

"Destroyed Orbitz"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Orbitz was a great place to work. Technology teams were top notch.

Cons

I don't know a single person that is happy with what there position has become. When I left people were congratulating me! Orbitz apps were award winning and now they are garbage.

Advice to Management

Orbitz had the better technology. You could have kept the technology in place and swapped in Expedia supply.

"Concierge"

Former Employee - Concierge in Wailea, HI
    Former Employee - Concierge in Wailea, HI

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have a chance to get lucky with a desk.

Cons

Too many to list, but management is horrible - incompetent, blatantly shows favoritism, I don't think Local Expert will be around in a year. Now that I'm on the vendor side - the vendor's don't like Expedia either. There's really nothing good to report - except benefits are really hard to beat.

Advice to Management

Quit stealing your paycheck - cause you sure aren't earning it.

7. "Dont just leave , run away as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Travel benefits
    Slacking is encouraged,so that way great work life balance, if you know how to play

Cons

rampant cronyism
    poor growth opportunities
    low pay

"Senior Engineering Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expedia is an enormously innovative company and they are open to new ideas for sure. You can get a great opportunity to work on leading edge stuff.

Cons

The people. I can't say this enough: the people in Expedia are needlessly fearful, argumentative, and stuck in a management strategy pioneered by former Microsoft hacks who have been laid off over the past 8 years.

The Move: Expedia is moving to a horrible campus in Seattle. Yes, it's got the right zip code. No, the new location has none of the amenities Management believes will allow it to hire it's target market of Millenials.

Advice to Management

1. start incubating small, fast
    2. stop using small teams competing on the same products. the benefit from competition doesn't pay off compared with the benefit from focus and agility
    3. more orbitz people in leadership roles
    4. get ready for competition from google and amazon; they will rock your socks and soon

"Software Development Engineer"

I worked at Expedia full-time

Pros

- Work/Life balance (if you don't listen to gossips)
    - Some travel benefits (if you make an effort to find them)
    - Good name (Internet company) to put it on your resume if you want to move on to start ups

Cons

This company is extremely political (more so than companies 5 times bigger). People may smile at you but the underlying culture is very toxic with constant backstabbing. There is not enough work and people constantly fight each other to get the piece of work to do. Most of technologies Expedia is using is very ancient. Employees constantly talk about how Expedia is better than big name companies like Amazon and Microsoft when in fact, Expedia compensation and benefits are below average. There is no upward mobility at all unless you have some connections to upper management. If you have multiple offers, please consider other options. Otherwise, be prepared to search for new jobs after a year as this is not a long term place to grow your career.

Advice to Management

Please invest on new technologies and real career growth opportunities instead of cheap parties and false promises.

"Awful Corporate Structure"

Current Employee - Expedia Local Expert in Lahaina, HI
    Current Employee - Expedia Local Expert in Lahaina, HI

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Concierge benefits, spiffs, extra things from vendors on top of pay.

Cons

horrible management
    horrendous culture
    poor pay unless you're at a good desk.
    catty female dominated place of business
    uniforms

Advice to Management

upper management needs to replace existing management with trained managers

Showing 139 of 2,144 reviews