Expedia Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Expedia President and CEO Mark Okerstrom
Mark Okerstrom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get to be part of an industry-leading company while work-life balance is still achievable in the Market Associate position (in 374 reviews)

• Great culture and work environment (in 156 reviews)

Cons
  • Little bit problem for work life balance if you are keen to learn new things you have to give more times to office (in 91 reviews)

• Expedia continues to higher terrible people managers, whom have never managed people and then are not monitored by upper management (in 47 reviews)

1. "Cog in a wheel"

Pros

Large company, plenty to do

Cons

You are a cog in a wheel

Advice to Management

Get rid of the politics and the not invented here syndrome

"Choose your manager wisely."

I worked at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Pay is on-par with Seattle market for non-tech professionals.
    - Benefits are above average, including travel bennies.
    - Easily accessible building in downtown Bellevue.
    - If you have a good manager, you may have a good experience here.

Cons

- Politics gamesmanship was not only rampant, but also encouraged, even on day one. Management here will change vision without notice and feed you one narrative while simultaneously scheming up a diametrically opposed narrative. Folks will lie to your face about information that you know that they previously conveyed.
    - Large company size + lack of processes + zero training = a nightmare of arbitrariness.
    - The expectation - at least in my experience - is that you pepper people with questions at all times. This constant Sherlocking is somehow supposed to take the place of smart, efficient workplace processes and easily ascertainable year-over-year goals.

Advice to Management

If individual contributors or entire teams are struggling and/or out of sync, that's when you step in and, well, *manage* - not wring your hands or fire them or berate them for not doing assignments you made up in your head and somehow expected to ESP their way to completion.

"Lodging Partner III"

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits package that includes PTO, Sick time, 401K, $600 allowance toward exercise, money toward Expedia site

Cons

Micromanagement, not a culture of ideas, constant shifts in duties and metrics, feared based management, lots of turn over, and lots of new hires, data bases constantly causing errors, strict time management, no career path.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees needs. Try to support employees and not bring them down

4. "Room for growth limited"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Expedia as a contractor

Pros

- Free soda
    - Some people are cool

Cons

- Lack of leadership
    - Not much direction

5. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a very good company to work for.

Cons

Like every company you don't always get the best supervisors or leads. That is why I am no longer there.

Advice to Management

My lead at the time of my errpr was telling me what to do and I did exactly what he told me. I lost my job! With what he was telling me to was a zero tolerance!!!

"Pricing"

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Concept to Commission rep in Texas

Cons

Clueless Dolts, keep running in circles

7. "Company great, team gossip not so much"

Former Intern - Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Intern - Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interns are treated well
    Travel culture
    Intern hire rate is excellent
    The company perks are awesome

Cons

Most teams become cliques
    Poor transparency (I never really heard about the company's vision for the three months I was there)
    Gossip culture
    Hard to switch teams

I did not win the team lottery. I was an intern for one summer and witnessed a lot of gossip from my mentor & manager about others on my team. It was so hard for me to feel welcomed when I always questioned what they were saying about me behind my back, and from what I've heard you have a high chance of getting a team similar to this.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your company culture on a team level. Work on encouraging a culture of partnership & respect instead of unhealthy competition and gossip.

"Things that make you go hmmm"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expedia brands are very visible in the market. Opportunities to write software that will benefit thousands of travelers. Openness in the company to try new languages, frameworks, platforms, and other technologies.

Cons

Cultural values are great but not actually practiced. I had an immature manager who openly condescended and demeaned employees on my team in their presence. Frequent management churn killed employees' ability to be promoted. No clear direction or path to promotion, even when I repeatedly asked multiple levels of management (three levels up from me). Tons of secrecy. Managers rarely welcome new people who have joined the team nor do they thank outgoing staff--I think to try and cover up the turnover rate, unless they're just that incompetent. No concern for standard software practices like measure code coverage or sizing story cards according to story points (often confusing story points for number of days it will take to complete a story instead). Employees at all levels are generally unconcerned about their incompetence and even proud of what they don't know. In one meeting I was in my peers who were all making six figures joked about not wanting to add two double-digit numbers together because "who does math, right?" Finally, and this should be a bigger deal: why does the CEO of Expedia make more money than any of the CEO's of Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, etc? Come on! That doesn't make sense. Meanwhile compensation at Expedia is lagging below the general software engineer marketplace.

Advice to Management

Quit your job and go work in a bank where your style of management will be appreciated. Software professionals don't need managers in your definition of it. You should be working for them to enable them to work and nothing else.

"Not what it seems"

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, great coworkers, CEO is friendly

Cons

Managers don't listen to the staff and don't know how to handle casework. Managers will make fire out of a little smoke because they don't like certain people. Some managers just fire rather than teach

Advice to Management

Spend time teaching. Not just switching techniques. Allow your staff time to learn and hold actual accountable metrics for standards. Not if someone answers a review or not.

"It started out great"

Current Employee - Property Assistant Coordinator in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Property Assistant Coordinator in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay can be good if you like to play the game and be a managers pet. Entry level jobs pay higher than compared jobs.

Cons

If you don't play the managers game, and it varies from manager to manager, then you won't get a raise period. The company treats it's guest terrible by outsourcing to agents who get penalized if a guest cancels their reservation. This results in agents not doing their jobs to keep their stats high. They also didn't do well in 2016 and while they may be putting on a brave face, they have laid off workers and shut down an entire building in Dallas TX.

Showing 214 of 2,214 reviews