Expedia Reviews | Glassdoor

Expedia Reviews

Updated January 12, 2018

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Little bit problem for work life balance if you are keen to learn new things you have to give more times to office (in 92 reviews)

• Lack of support from upper management (in 48 reviews)

"Misleading Company Rating"

Former Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much to speak about other than the travel benefits and the work-life balance.

Cons

Don't believe the company rating. I'm shocked Expedia is in the top 20 best rated companies. It's totally misleading and in my mind a shame. While I was there, there was an internal initiative to bump up the rating on Glassdoor and they asked employees to post positive reviews. Don't be fooled.

Jul 20, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We do invite employees to post an anonymous review on Glassdoor if they want to, but we encourage everyone to leave what they want – the good, the bad... More

"Horrible Company - Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia (More than a year)

Pros

I worked there for more than 2 years, and I remember interview part was professional, but that's about the only good thing happened during my 2+ years there.

Cons

First of all, leadership is of big concern! During the 2+ years there, I have seen like 8 upper management (director or above) folks left just within our department. Whenever superb talents are leaving for other companies, that tells a lot about the culture of this organization. I've talked to bunch of directors, ones left and new ones, and you can tell there's no sense of cohesion and consistent vision within the company. Every director brings their own individual goals without listening to the folks who have worked here for more than 5 years or more to preserve the company culture and benefits of the past. As a result, employees morals are super low and people and ideas are in and out of the door like flying squad.

HR does not listen to employees, that's why people leave for better opportunities. Travel perks are limited basically just some occasional discount for hotels, but anyone can find similar rates during hotel website own promotion period.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself why employees work hard? If they do, reward them who brought success to the company. New folks who come into the company do not necessary bring success if are unable to recognize what has worked in the past. Enforcing their own policies that do not make sense will be detrimental to the company as a whole.

3. "Geographer"

Former Contractor - Geographer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Contractor - Geographer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Umm....probably the free drinks and pizza and beer Fridays were the most positive thing about this place!!

Cons

The Geography dept. was the most cliquey group of people I have ever worked with! SOOOO different from my current job where everybody is awesome! I was a contractor and was basically ignored most days, rarely spoken to, rarely praised for my work, but often criticized. Funny, because every other job I've had I've been told what a great employee I am! I thought working in my field for a well-known company would be great, but it turns out I couldn't wait for the 1-year contract to be up. My stomach was in knots most days when I walked in the building wondering how many wrong things I was going to do that day. You know the funny thing? Every time a Geographer position opens up I get calls from recruiters saying what a great candidate I'd be. Never, no way, no how!

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with respect and don't go snickering off and talking about others to other employees. Actually be friendly to your contractors...they are people too!

"Poor Opportunities for Women"

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst I in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Fraud Analyst I in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are exceptional, monthly coaching, had a few great people on the team, job is super easy these days as they've got analysts simply working out of a queue all day long.

Cons

We do the same thing all day long. Fraud analysts used to be able to take on projects, look for trends and write queries...now all we do is click pass or fail on bookings, all. Day. Long. I'm addition, the fraud office has become high-school drama central as management are trash talking each other and the rest of us are along for the ride at this circus. Most of the tenured people are looking for new jobs as its gotten ridiculous. A very small percentage of women have been promoted in fraud and all supervisors in Springfield are male. Fraud Ops in Springfield used to be great...we had a lot of opportunities, challenges and a great team. I'm disappointed to see how far our department has deteriorated. It's no longer a healthy environment.

Advice to Management

Get to know your people and learn to get along with each other. Be fair and don't throw your team under the bus to CYA. Identify the trouble makers, and for God's sake, don't promote them.

Jun 21, 2016 – Talent Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review. We are disappointed to hear about your experience working with our Fraud Team. The environment and behavior you describe is not aligned with our... More

"Doesn't matter"

I worked at Expedia full-time

Pros

Good work life balance. Company culture as a whole is good, there are a ton of things to get involved in outside of your actual job. Great brands and people for the most part.

Cons

Stay away from eCP. That organization is in shambles and heading in a horrible direction. Re-orgs constantly and highly political. Leadership has no idea what way is up and use re-orgs as a way to justify poor management and lack of direction.

Advice to Management

Fire senior leadership in eCP and start all over. Nothing to salvage there.

"Local Expert"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time

Pros

Expedia provides a focused and competitive environment to learn about the travel industry and how to change and shape it through technology. The size of the company, the diversity of its business units and the speed of execution creates an opportunity to work on numerous projects and receive immediate feedback. Most people are collaborative and are passionate about building products that improve the travel experience for customers.

Cons

Every company has organizations that run counter to the cultural norm. Local Expert is one of those groups inside Expedia. The desire to win has created a culture where the ends justify the means. Employees are publically shamed and belittled in an effort to create urgency. Work is micromanaged and second guessed while communication is poor and decisions are made with little transparency. Ideas that do not fit with leadership’s preconceived assumptions are devalued. Performance goals are often based on opinion rather than data and are subject to change making it difficult to measure your accomplishments. The result of this environment is widespread mistrust, a lack of loyalty to the organization and an unwillingness to try new things or take risks to avoid negative consequences. Career development is rarely discussed and employees are given little support when seeking new opportunities. If you really want to work at Expedia (because overall it’s a great company) and Local Expert is your foot in the door then have a thick skin, understand the environment you are joining and take every opportunity to network with colleagues in other groups which are more aligned to the overall corporate culture.

Advice to Management

Culture is the sum of the behaviors you model and reward. Using fear to motivate employees does not inspire greatness it creates chaos and invites failure.

"Not a Pleasant Place"

Former Contractor - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Coffee shop in the lobby

Cons

The client was in another state and provided little to no guidance. Like a popular online retailer, it depends on the team when it comes to satisfaction. The team I worked with appeared to be of the variety who started at an entry level then moved up. The issue in this scenario is they had amassed a great deal of tribal knowledge yet are unwilling to share as that would compromise their position on the team. I also noticed a very..VERY lax and unprofessional dress code.

Advice to Management

Break up the fiefdoms and foster an environment of open, honest communication as opposed to working in cliques and engaging in gossip.

"It's not what it's cracked up to be"

Former Employee - Expedia Local Expert
    Former Employee - Expedia Local Expert

I worked at Expedia full-time

Pros

You get opportunities to experience local attractions for free.

Cons

You are trained to sell things that your customer is not aware of. There are hidden charges that raise the commission of the agent. I witnessed transactions on a daily basis that were as unethical as I have ever seen.

Advice to Management

Raise the minimum hourly rate so that agents don't feel the need to cheat customers in order to take home a paycheck that doesn't make them starve to death.

"Find somewhere else to work if you value yourself"

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good company except for the Fraud Department which is garbage and will treat you like garbage

Cons

Being a Fraud Analyst at Expedia will suck your soul out of you. It is boring, monotonous work with no upside, no promotion potential and management that values brown-nosing above all else. It is basically one step above flipping burgers for a fast food joint and they treat their employees as though they were fast food workers. Management behaves as though it was 1956 instead of 2016. They are completely out of touch with the modern workforce. There are many places one can work that are a lot more fun and value you more than Expedia's Fraud Department.

Advice to Management

Go back to the 50's where you belong and stop fostering yes-men and yes-women.

Feb 25, 2016 – Team Expedia

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Clearly your experience working here at Expedia has not been positive, and we’re sorry about this. We would encourage you to reach out to your... More

"Expedia Local Experts"

Current Employee - Expedia Local Expert in Lahaina, HI
    Current Employee - Expedia Local Expert in Lahaina, HI

Pros

Experience all things offered in Maui as far as activities go through the Familiarization process. Good benefits: 401k, Health, Dental, Vision, Educational Reimbursement.
    Lots of locations to work at.

Cons

Poor managerial skills. Leadership is overworked, so they're usually too busy to lead or manage so they defer everything to "leads". Leads are NEVER available because they're at the busiest of desks and prioritize their positions as concierge over their positions as leads (I would too).
    Scheduling is awful! You can't supplement your income with a secondary job because management requires that you're available "anytime anywhere" plus having 1-3 on-call shifts any given day of the week. Which means, you can't even plan laundry, gym, etc.

Training is 6 weeks! So, you earn $12.50/hour before you earn commission. That drops you far below the poverty level! You're expected to drive all across the island just to shadow other employees.

There is no sales training.

Minimal technical training.

There is no Operating Procedures manual so you don't ever have a reliable source of information.

Our Company Christmas Party Invitation read: "appetizers and ONE cocktail included, you can buy your own Christmas party dinner for 25% off, if you bring your business cards. Can I please buy my own business cards since the company can only afford to buy them once a year?

Advice to Management

Read the book "FISH"
    Read the book "The No A-hole Rule"

Pay your leads higher hourly and put them at desks where they can fulfill their job as leads by having a smaller room/concierge ratio.

Favoritism bad for morale.

Stop gossiping!

Proctor and Gamble does none-biased reviews. To get a true opinion, without fear of repercussion, use an outside company. Otherwise, we are all going to answer the way we can so that we avoid getting into trouble with our manger. My coworker said that her job-survey led Lilia to directly discuss her feedback with her. But the reviews where meant to be anonymous?

That's why more than half of us decided not to participate in reviewing Lilia.

Showing 152 of 2,377 reviews