Expedia Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Expedia UK Reviews

United Kingdom

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get to be part of an industry-leading company while work-life balance is still achievable in the Market Associate position (in 370 reviews)

• Work environment and flexibility is exceedingly good (in 156 reviews)

Cons
  • Little bit problem for work life balance if you are keen to learn new things you have to give more times to office (in 89 reviews)

• Expedia continues to higher terrible people managers, whom have never managed people and then are not monitored by upper management (in 47 reviews)

"Note"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for lateral moves across functions

Cons

Re-organisations are frequent and most leadership is in US

Advice to Management

Nope

"immature culture in london - avoid !"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fancy looking office (london)
    some really fun people

Cons

internal processes similar to an immature startup even though the company is big and old
    london office is in serious trouble after brexit - lay offs are coming
    no opportunity to move upwards from within - you would be better off in a consulting firm

Advice to Management

grow up and get a mirror

Expedia Response

Jul 27, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Glad to hear that you enjoy the office but we did want to address your concerns; you may have seen some communication from our CEO with regards to... More

"be careful which team you are joining"

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice offices, free drinks, good team.

Cons

the more the company become bigger, the less is distributed to the employees. No clear bonus calculation. benefits get worst every year. no work/life balance as your manager expects you to work 60 hours per week, taking no lunches and be available 24/7, 365 days a year. no free discussion with managers, everyone has to say yes. very difficult to change the status quo (unless dictated by top manager). communication is always lost, but everyone is expecting you to be on top of everything.

Advice to Management

less dictatorship, relevant also for middle managers.

Expedia Response

May 23, 2016 – Talent Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We’re sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your current team and we would encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner (an update... More

"Senior Accountant"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Sutton, London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Sutton, London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia (More than a year)

Pros

Hard work is compensated with promotions and job opportunities

Cons

No work / life balance and little money for very long hours. Corporate where human is just a number as all US corporates

Advice to Management

Fairness and appreciation for responsible, loyal and professional employee's.

"The worse work experience I ever had"

Former Employee - Web Content Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Web Content Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a temp, I had a good salary, and never had to do extra hours, always leaving at 5.30pm. The monthly drinks were nice. Expedia was my first job as a foreigner in London and launched my career in tourism.

Cons

Because I was a temp, I had to be paid through an umbrella, following multiple problems (never paid on-time, manager forgetting hours, etc. I had to fight for 2 months to get my money back, around £1,500). I was asked to do quantity - the quality being the worse I've ever seen. The management was terrible, people were arrogant and the opportunity of evolving non-existing. Processes are too strict and have to be followed in every single case even though it is often absurd.
    Employement conditions are terrible - my contract was a trick for getting the most of it without any respect, my binomes were employed in Manilla, had to work at night in a cellar. I was made redundant because Expedia decided to relocate to Greece, offering half of my salary to unskilled people (I was hired for doing French content, they hired non native French there), for working in terrible conditions (non air con, 10h work per day, 15min lunch break, etc.).

Advice to Management

Read above and learn from your mistakes: respect people.

"Frustrating, worthless."

Former Employee - Front-End Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Front-End Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

International way of working, very big company. I had the opportunity to work with people across the world in a interesting project. Unluckily mobody in the decision-making wanted to move forward in any sense so everything was just more and more frustrating.

Cons

Impossible to do almost anything, more bosses than developers making incredible meetings to decide the most tiny things. Totally wasted.
    No interest at all in innovation.
    Management doesn't have a clue about technological advances, nor they want to do, as they are only worried about "staying the same".

Advice to Management

Focus in doing "something" instead of "staying like we are". The world runs 1,000 times faster.

"Poor support for employees in times of crisis"

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expedia is a great company to work for when everything is going smoothly.

Good projects, interesting people on the whole and a good work life balance.

Cons

Widespread management changed over the last 6 months have completely destroyed the culture of the company.

It is now a very difficult place to work with people getting fired and being treated poorly.

Advice to Management

Start valuing your employees again.

"scam"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

commissioned based, more sales I get, more money I get,... its all about money

Cons

we have to lie to end users to win sales
    once we have there money we are told not to care
    I feel bad every nght

Advice to Management

need a new team of management

"Same old big company corporate attitude with nothing to offer."

Current Employee - QA Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and free drinks.

Cons

People treated like cattle, and no changes will happen unless you have the patience of a saint! No one is allowed to do anything new here. The manager has his/her say on the software engineering process which he/she has no clue of. Also the technology used is outdated for development purposes meaning the skill developed here is not very exportable

Advice to Management

Review the HR process, esp what is promised during interview stages.
    Get rid of the typical corporate way of working. Allow people to be more created rather than just be delegated work - total demotivating.

"Unsupportive, aggressive, volatile, political and bureaucratic."

Former Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people.
    Opportunities to travel.

Cons

A fantastic brand to have on your CV, but that's where it ends.

If you are driven by results, don't expect to change or deliver anything here. Unless the CEO thinks its a good idea it will never happen, one of the major reasons that the companies market share and revenues in Europe are in such rapid decline. Because nobody dares question his 'leadership' the culture is one of blame and suspicion, with senior management constantly looking for  someone to point the finger at.

Expedia is a great stepping stone, but don't be fooled into thinking this will be a long term career move. Its a volatile, high pressure environment with extremely high staff turnover, the resultant is constant course correct and a new 'strategy' every few months. Expect to see a re-structure and senior leadership change every six months or so.

The company invests little to nothing in staff development, and the general attitude towards staff is unsupportive and aggressive. Overall the business is incredibly political and bureaucratic. Leadership are all desperately trying to protect their own small corners of the empire and deflect the CEO's gaze onto someone else, so expect little support. Senior management will happily throw you under a bus if it takes the spot light off them for just a moment.

Advice to Management

CEO: stop micro managing the entire organisation and let people get on with what they know how to do. Invest in your employees and foster an environment of mutual support and trust. Stop running the business into the floor.

Showing 11 of 2,175 reviews