Expedia Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

United Kingdom

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Very demanding, need better work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• High upper management has in the last 3 years or so started cronyism (in 46 reviews)

"Strong business, poor people mananagement"

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

I am proud to be part of one of the strongest companies in the travel industry. There are many great innovations, initiatives and new partnerships that are truely shaping the online travel world. Changes come slowely but over the years I've seen many great ideas coming true and really "revolutionizing travel industry with the power of technology" (which is Expedia's mission)

Cons

Whether you like Expedia or not (unfortunately) depends on the team you are at and most importantly who is your mananger. I've seen many very talented people giving up on Expedia just because they had no opportunities to grow, no support from their managers or simply because (quite openly) they were not the right fit from the PERSONAL point of view of the team leader. HR politics despite the size of the company are still very poor and in many cases decisions are made based on a personal opinion of a manager. Hcom and EAN have recently started addressing some of this gaps but the GMM (market management team) stays very much behind. It's a shame. As for myself I am constantly evaluating the pros of a strong business organization and cons of poor mananagement practices.

Advice to Management

I would like to feel confident to talk to HR about my situation but I am not.

"A very mixed bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Fun product
    Fast paced
    Global
    Pockets of amazing people / talent

Cons

Work life balance
    Low Number of female leaders
    Internal brand competition - leads to too much time focused competing internal not externally
    Overly tolerant of brilliant jerks

Advice to Management

Reduce the complexity and misalignment in your brand structure so that so much time isn't wasted putting together decks to prove one brand is better than another. Stop tolerating so many mediocre managers and invest in leadership.

"Slapstick"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free beer, challenging project work

Cons

Office politics are a killing your company. There seems to be a lot of incompetent Muppets in London. I had the unfortunate pleasure for working with Miss Piggy, Statler, Waldorf and Beaker in my team. The benefits suck. I don't want 2% off this and that, I want proper benefits....

Advice to Management

Get rid of the deadwood.

"London Team"

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

- Great Benefits
    - Great location
    - Great office

Cons

- management within the london team - very poor

Advice to Management

- award upon good results not on personality

Expedia Response

Oct 1, 2015 – Team Expedia

Thanks for your review, and we're sorry to hear about your experience with London management team. While most of the feedback we receive is positive, we appreciate your input and will certainly pass ... More

"Intensely political. Insanely bureaucratic."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting sector. Some good people. Benefits aren't bad, but in no way outstanding.

Cons

Intensely political. Insanely bureaucratic. Rewards are very unevenly distributed between departments and brands.

Advice to Management

There's a lot of talk about listening, but little actual listening takes place. Fix that. Reward people and teams for contribution, and not for 'flash'.

"International environment, good benefits, but unsupportive in many ways"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

International environment (very multicultural)
    Nice product (everyone loves holidays / travelling)
    Good benefits (pension, insurance, travel discounts)

Cons

Work-life balance is poor (Many early-morning or evening or late-night conference calls that employees are expected to participate in on top of their normal 9-5 work.)
    Very male-oriented culture (Male employees progress, women don't. I've seen comments about this in a few reviews here. There are programmes that in theory offer additional support for women, but they feel like 'lip service' only.)
    Poor leadership and infighting between directors

Advice to Management

Stop thinking of women employees as a minority that need special programmes. Just treat them fairly every day and take actions against managers who openly prefer men!

"Great benefits, but lots of politics and "who you know" mentality"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love travel and love working in a place where you help people find their dream vacation, this is the place for you. Most people here are exceedingly interested in travel itself and most have an obsession with either finding the best deals or travel hacking. The benefits are great as well... Discounts, travel reimbursements and working with bright colleagues across the world make it a great place to meet interesting people across the globe.

Cons

Constant re-orgs both in London and in the Bellevue office prevent any really innovative work from being done. This also brings about a lot of political backstabbing and gesturing. I don't think I've ever worked in a place where people gesture for the work but never do anything about it. It's more about territory building than it is about actually getting things done. Insecure and inadequate senior managers abound, brought upward more because of who they know then what they know, and more so being at the right place at the right time than actually being qualified or actually knowing enough to derive strategies to lead their teams. No clear goals and poorly formed incentives drive poor performance and lack of interest to innovate and help the business actually move forward.

"Mostly wasted talent"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Talented and smart colleagues. Also, the combination of travel and online puts it at the leading edge of online marketing.

Cons

Senior people, veeps and s veeps, employ management by numbers in both the litteral and allegorical senses. They have little sense of direction and therefore strategy suffers.

Advice to Management

Lead by example and don't delegate complexity.

Showing 8 of 1,998 reviews