Expeditors Reviews | Glassdoor

Expeditors President and Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey S. Musser
Jeffrey S. Musser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a struggle depending on your area/department of work (in 29 reviews)

• Some may not prefer the dress code (in 50 reviews)

1. "Nothing changes"

I have been working at Expeditors full-time

Pros

Freedom to accomplish tasks as management doesn't track much

Cons

most managers do not know what their employees jobs entail

Advice to Management

Manage your people and not the tech

"Overall a decent place to work, need to address compensation"

Current Employee - IS Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IS Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are nice, the culture is laid back but professional, and there is a no layoff policy. Almost all growth is organic, so the threat of being bought out and needing to move through a large mergers is almost nonexistent. The location is great, and there are more training opportunities than you could ever take on.

Cons

Pay - they pay far less than the industry and local market standards (at least for IS). This limits the capabilities of future employees and causes high turnover, all of which are a catch 22 to the pay.

We still look at our company as mostly a 3PL/logistics company and don't look at it as an IS organization. Our customers are paying for freight movement, but they are buying the data and consistency surrounding the movements, not really the movement itself. We need to change our thinking if we want to continue to be an industry leader moving into the future. Freight movement is becoming a commodity, it's everything surrounding the movement that differentiates us, and we can't lose track of that.

Advice to Management

The internal growth opportunities of the 90's and early 2000's are long gone. IS should bring efficiency to make up for increases in volumes, etc. as opposed to additional ops headcount. Due to this, we need to re-think growth and employee retention. What kept people around in the past is not what's going to keep people around now. The cost of turnover is high - increase IS pay to retain solid employees and attract new high quality IS employees. As it stands, we are going to lose/continue to lose our top performers to other local companies. The cost of their loss is not made up for by underpaying IS or their incoming replacement - the value those employees add is intangible, but will probably be very noticeable in the next 7-10 years as the boomer generation moves toward retirement.

3. "Brokerage"

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are among the cheapest and best

Cons

Salary is below the industry

Advice to Management

You are on the right track, but need to compasate you employees for the work

"Overworked and under appreciated"

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good at educating employees and customers.
    Great starter job.

Cons

They are quick to snub their nose up at customers and employees that don't fit their social class.
    Under paid. They say they start you with a low salary and incentivise on performance but that isn't very true. You have to pull teeth and go to war for anything over a low salary.
    They say the value integrity and a sense of humor. But being honest isn't always welcomed and having fun is frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Stay humble. Stay kind. It's a small world afterall.
    And quit with all the work place gossip. Management is the worst at it. This isn't high school.

5. "Okay place"

I have been working at Expeditors full-time

Pros

Good benefits....paid health care...match 401k to the dollar

Cons

unless your in management it isnt worth it

6. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work alongside individuals from around the world

Cons

Operational repetitive and can be difficult to move up the corporate latter

7. "NOT BAD BUT NOT THE UNIQUE BEST OPTION"

Current Contractor - Customs Brokerage Representative
    Current Contractor - Customs Brokerage Representative

I have been working at Expeditors as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good team work, nice place to work, learn a lot, overtime, outgoing

Cons

temporal contract takes more than a year to go permanent, lack of leadership, hard to get noticed

Advice to Management

Search for unique employees that will make the difference

"Great if you're white, male, and/or related to management"

Current Employee - Analytics - Global in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Analytics - Global in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great healthcare, great work life balance as you can always say no to working past your hours. If you have two of the following: white, male, related to someone in management or above, you will do exceptionally well there. You automatically get raises very year no matter what you produce because management cares more about retaining you, which is really great considering other competitors are more cut-throat. They don't fire people or lay off people. The worst is that they transition you to another team. It's one of those company where you can easily retire because of the slow pace of work and timelines can always be stretched out. Just don't go into one of those customer-facing teams and the company can be really rewarding. It's easy to have drinks and make friends here.

Cons

There's not enough flexibility in the scheduling for non-IS groups. IS has a new flexible work schedule that was rolled out but the rest of the company was not able to try it out which is really unfair. Also, new employees get 15 days of vacation right away (used to be at the 3 year mark). This is a con because they adjusted it for new people but did not adjust it for current people. I've been here for 6+ years and won't get any additional holiday until the 10 year mark. Also, there's no paid time off for fathers. You have to just use up all your vacation/sick days then take unpaid leave.

Advice to Management

Take care of the loyal employees and make sure to update policies that can also benefit them. Also, provide fair opportunities for everyone because non-IS employees are just as important as IS employees.

9. "Risk Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expeditors is a well managed organization that takes care of it's employees. I was satisfied with the benefits package and management was fair.

Cons

Most positions are entry level and designed to attract post collegiate employees. The pay is comparatively low but it's a great place to start. Lateral movement is sometimes difficult, but the size of the organization evens the playing field.

10. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time

Pros

Every changing environment, good vacation and benefits

Cons

Terrible pay for the market here in Seattle. I understand it's entry level, but even the raises after a year aren't up to par.

Advice to Management

You make over 6 million in revenue per year and your entry level is still 20k below the market.