Expeditors Reviews | Glassdoor

Expeditors Reviews

Updated April 15, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a little tough (in 27 reviews)

• Dress code (shirt&tie) is not for everyone (in 47 reviews)

"No work-life balance if you work in the brokerage department of the SFO branch. Good luck having an outside life. :-)"

Current Employee - Customs Brokerage Agent in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Customs Brokerage Agent in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. The friendly people here are what kept me sane! I've also noticed that people seem to be happier in other departments, so maybe it's only the brokerage department that's an understaffed mess.

Cons

No work-life balance, managers don't communicate well with those working under them, obvious favoritism between branch manager and particular employees, brokerage teams are understaffed and managers don't care to staff more people.

Advice to Management

Learn to work and communicate with your teams better. Hire more people for your teams so people don't have to slave away in the office well past 5 pm. People have families and lives outside of work, they can't be in the office for 12 hours a day. If they're scheduled 8 am to 5 pm, it's ridiculous that people are staying WELL past 5 and into the wee hours of the evening and sometimes even night. And let's not forget the amount of times people have to come in on the weekends because their team's workload was far too much to take on during the week.

"Things looked good at first"

Former Employee - EDMS and Scanner Support in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - EDMS and Scanner Support in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees act professionally at first because they want to present a good image. But underneath the surface there are severe problems at this company. Beware!

Cons

I worked at the Seattle IT office of Expeditors for 6 months. No red flags went up during the interview process but I should have seen problems ahead. The company made the interview easy and complimented me on my interview skills even though I am not very good at that. They tried very hard to sell me on the company. They were friendly, in fact they were TOO FRIENDLY.

I accepted the first salary offer, which was too low (big mistake on my part.) On the morning of my first day of work my supervisor threatened me with all of the nasty things that would happen if I did not strictly follow the dress code. She didn't realize that as an adult man I know how to dress myself. In fact, I was dressed better than 90% of the men in the office. It's true that most men in Seattle don't know how to dress decently, but I am the exception because I don't mind dressing up. I didn't appreciate being talked down to, especially when it was obviously not necessary or appropriate. Things started to go downhill from there.

I soon began to realize that there had been a lot of trouble in my department just before I arrived. Only one member of the team had been there long term and he was the only one who really knew what was going on. My supervisor had just been promoted into her first management role and was clueless. Whenever my supervisor ran into problems she called on her supervisor, a younger woman. The two women supervisors regularly ganged up on me and the other male employee while praising the other new female employee. My male co-worker had let it be known that he was making plans to leave, so he got no respect from management. In fact, it was obvious that he was afraid of them.

My supervisor was obviously struggling to do her job. If she had trusted me enough to tell me what was really going on I might have been able to get on her side. However, her suspicious behavior made it impossible for trust to develop. She talked about teamwork constantly but never knew how to work with the team. Whenever something went wrong she immediately tried to blame others. But, since she the corporate type who did everything by the book I am sure she will get promoted anyway.

The work was routine and boring. It didn't take long for me to realize that the company was full of outdated technologies. My supervisors had no IT knowledge or experience from outside the company. They only knew what the company wanted them to know. Even my male co-worker was afraid of working with the Unix or Windows command line (very bad sign for any IT employee.) Eventually I got tired of being manipulated and being kept in the dark. The micromanagement and threats continued to get worse over time. When I began to realize that my trust was misplaced I started to make plans to leave.

My last conversation with the most bizarre. They tried to intimidate me into staying even though they made it clear that they hated my work. By quitting I made my supervisors look awful and hurting their image was the worst thing I could do. Keeping me there just a way of filling a cubicle and making themselves look good. My boss's boss (female) cried when I said I was leaving. It was the most awful and PATHETIC thing I have ever experienced at work.

Advice to Management

There is more to success than a good image. Saying that you value employees means nothing if it is backed up by unprofessional behavior. Problems need to be talked about and resolved. It's no use to cover them up problems or pretend they don't exist. Training needs to be about real IT skills rather than just company culture and procedures. Turnover is high in Seattle and a lot of good employees move on.

3. "ocean export"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, MO

Pros

long hour and great training

Cons

low pay and and long hours

Advice to Management

no room for advancement

"There are MANY better places to work in Seattle!!"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Free Orca pass
    - Free medical and dental
    - Mostly amazing people at the individual contributor level
    - Seattle's Best Coffee drip offered in kitchen, near water coolers
    - Located in the heart of downtown Seattle
    - Work-life balance (you work your 40 hours and high tail it out of there)
    - Can easily float and collect a paycheck

Cons

The stuff everyone else has mentioned:
    - Low pay in comparison to Seattle tech market (~$30-50K under base pay for software developers, interns have been paid $12.50/hr for past 7 years)
    - Men have to dress up in shirt and tie OR suit (more lax for women, but business professional expectation)
    - $1,500 max 401K match
    - No parking
    - Only start with 2 weeks vacation + use it or lose it policy (no carry over whatsoever)
    - No flex time or work from home option
    - Old technologies (still trying to migrate out of applications written in COBOL)
    - Red tape everywhere
    - More frugal than Amazon

The important stuff that needs to be fixed before any changes to the above stuff will ever make a difference:
    - Most (not all) tech management is full of people who are incompetent or inexperienced in tech who rose to power due to favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism
    - Due to above, most (not all) managers have a chip on their shoulder and are intimidated by young, educated, ambitious, and talented employees
    - The voice of good managers are surpressed and their growth is limited to middle management
    - No HR = a world of concern for biased management practices, employee dissatisfaction, ineffective recruitment, and inconsistent/unequal salary
    - Industry is evolving and the company is unwilling to change (will be interesting to see what happens to Expeditors once a more Uber-style logistics model starts taking off OR if Amazon gets serious about it's entry as an NVOCC and does what it does best... grows to scale)
    - Won't invest in employees in fear that they'll leave... which ironically causes them to leave...

Advice to Management

Please. Please. PLEASE take criticism in humility. You are hemorrhaging good and talented people who have given you YEARS of their life, taking a chance on you as an employer, but you have a toxic management culture that goes unchecked and drives employees away. People don't quit their jobs, they fire their managers.

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Humble, TX

I worked at Expeditors (More than 3 years)

Pros

Non management employees are great

Cons

Management, work policies, work enviroment

Advice to Management

I would tell management to grow up, we are not in high school anymore

"The good reviews for this company are by the managers and supervisors who can't stand honest reviews"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

medical benefits, orca card, fairly set work schedule

Cons

- there's too much to mention.
    - rigid culture, managers/supervisors/leads are all intimidated by motivated employees who seek to improve their skills by engaging in activities that do so outside of work, management only supporting their favorites.
    - good old boys club.
    - From personal experience: once in a conference call a supervisor told me when to speak and what to say. The supervisor also wanted to screen all email communication before sending off to the clients. In addition this same supervisor wanted all subordinates to to record even the amount of time they spent going to the bathroom (this is FOR REAL) .

Advice to Management

look at the Seattle companies around you and pick up a whole bunch of pointers --- CHANGE!!!

"Take if you must"

Former Employee - Domestic Trucking in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Domestic Trucking in Humble, TX

I worked at Expeditors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Steady pay check
    -Easy job duties

Cons

- Coworkers have little to no formal education
    - Wages are not enough to live on

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of talent that shines brighter than you

"LAX Customs Broker - Wage Slave Job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Expeditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-If this is your first time job you will learn real fast that hard work does not pay, and you will learn about the politics of working a slave wage job.
    -Employee deaths are emailed to everyone regularly, this is to help employees watch out for potential promotions.

Cons

-Everyone hates their job, including managers. Most all of the older managers want 0 innovation as this would cause for them to learn something. Management wants a stable income and desk level employees better not interfere with this.
    -Useless managers. Majority of the management is absolutely useless and are disrespectfully detached from the desk level employees that do 100% of the work. 100% of responsibility is held at the desk level. Supervisors and Managers are not held accountable as they technically only oversee their accounts and don't directly interact with anything.
    -Promotion is based on favoritism. If you don't get regular small talk from a manager that likes you, quit immediately.
    -Low pay.
    -Difficult to leave due to low pay.
    -Non-flexible hours, you can neither be 1 minute late or early. Mandatory 1 hour lunch.
    -Reprimanded for going on vacation.
    -People show up to work while they are sick as using sick time is frowned upon. You must call in sick and confirm to them that you are sick.
    -Mandatory overtime. You cannot leave until the job is done.

Advice to Management

Know desk level roles and tasks. How can you help anyone if you don't know what they are doing? Promote people that care about the company rather than someone you want to hang out with.

"A negative Response"

Current Employee - EDI Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - EDI Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

An excellent work environment for military veterasn. The benefits are a little below what other companies in the region offer.

Cons

There is no defined human resources department. Instead, each department administers employee hiring and firing. This creates a problem if there are specific HR issues such as discrimination, where one of my colleagues was harassed for his age and wearing thick glasses.He was told to talk it out with his supervisor (who'd done the harassing), and was asked to sign a health-related "I need special accommodations" form, which his attorney advised against. The employee's name was conveniently forgotten when a promotion was available.

Advice to Management

Create a Human Resources department that can oversee the myriads of complex employee relation issues such as harassment due to age, disability, ethnic origin, etc.

"Build your resume and move on"

Former Employee - Ocean Import Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Ocean Import Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Expeditors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Logistics looks good on a resume, coworkers your age, health benefits, and the job doesn't take a lot of brain power.

Cons

Awful pay, 10 vacation days until you work there 5 years, only 9 holidays, incompetent supervisors/managers, favoritism plagues the workplace, promotions based on how long you've been there, the workplace lacks talent, and a terrible company culture.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and reward talent