Expeditors Reviews | Glassdoor

Expeditors Reviews

Updated June 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a struggle depending on your area/department of work (in 28 reviews)

• Some may not prefer the dress code (in 50 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customs Brokerage Representative in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Customs Brokerage Representative in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's an amazing place to work. We do the best we can for our customers, and in order for us to do so we work in a great environment with people that care about their jobs.

Cons

It's a lot of work, with a lot of time that needs to be put in.

"Agent"

Former Employee - Warehouse Agent in Whitinsville, MA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Agent in Whitinsville, MA

I worked at Expeditors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to use as a stepping stool for the next step in your career! Some really nice people also.

Cons

Management micromanaged. No cell phones, 3 strike rules, ect. Management also did not listen to advice when we needed more employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!

"Ocean export agent"

Former Employee - Ocean Export Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Ocean Export Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Expeditors (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, stable (no layoffs), you get your own desk/cube, friendly staff. Other departments barely know what your job entails, so no real fear they will take your job. All the work is done via a computer and alone. Free health insurance!

Cons

Training is abysmal. Sink or swim type. They give 12 hours worth of work and expect it done in 8 hours. Extreme multi-tasking and constant stress about deadlines (because they give you 12 hrs worth of work...). Emails are staggering. You'll get about 200 a day. Take a couple of days off, and you're behind big time.

Your manager makes or breaks your time there. If your manager isn't very good at training, you're in for a rough time.

Ocean export is generally regarded as the most difficult of the roles in the office. For good reason. The Ocean Dept has a very high turnover rate because of it.

Attire: Appearance is HUGE. It is one of their core values, hammered into you in training. Business attire, always. Despite the fact you are never customer facing. Not a con if you are used to corporate attire and enjoy it. Terrible if you dont like it (since no customer ever sees your clothes.

Advice to Management

If you want a good return on investment, give dedicated training time. Let the new employees understand their role and how to do the job before giving them deadlines

4. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Expeditors (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay structure.

Cons

No cons, may have to work long hours.

Advice to Management

Great environment.

"From an IT perspective .. to be fair"

Former Employee - Business Applications Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Applications Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors (More than 8 years)

Pros

- benefits are good: ORCA pass, medical benefits (trying buying this same package on your own and you'll be surprised how expensive it can get.), downtown Seattle location, they are not heavily reliant on contractors (I find this is to be a good thing).

- there are opportunities for growth depending on how you approach it. If you wanted to move from support to DBA for instance, you can't just say I wanna do this, you have to prove that you are serious by taking DBA classes for instance.

As a techie in the company put things in perspective:

- If you are a techie, don't expect bleeding edge technology although the groups that migrate legacy systems are using fairly current tools and processes.

- Remember you are not at Google, you are not in the tech industry, you are in the freight logistics industry ... technology for it's own sake is not the norm. Tech is just a tool in this industry and if you can't justify the newest tech making the company more money, then it's just a liability... GET OVER IT. As one of the VP's said, we don't program video games, if you wanna do that then go apply at Nintendo or something!

- It is not a "sexy" Seattle company ... but it is stable and a software engineer contractor at Google, Amazon or Expedia will be out of a job long before you will (even though they make a lot more - but when unemployed that money disappears quick).

- good work/life balance

Cons

- very conservative culture

- a lot of fiefdoms in the departments

- Salary not that great

6. "EI-MIA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Expeditors full-time

Pros

Amazing job, great company

Cons

Too much competition in the South Florida Region

Advice to Management

Cut on Bonuses for yourselves and develop the talent that work for you.

7. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - IS Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IS Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great management, job security - no layoffs in the 35+ years they have been in business.

Cons

Telecommuting is not yet an option.

Advice to Management

Consider telecommuting 1-2 days a week for those who are interested.

"Turn off"

Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Expeditors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits - but even this wont make you stay. Glassdoor wants me to key 20 words.... Cant think of any other pros

Cons

-company lied about my job title so be careful
    -low low pay
    -company culture is so uptight. Very corporate and you are just a number. Business attire to look professional. I can understand if you meet clients but if you just sit at your desk all day what is the point? Work more professional instead. Very robotic environment and obsolete processes. No creativity in here. Negative vibe in the office with lack of natural light which makes the place look sad and employees look unhappy.
    -no employee perks.
    -Managers have a lot of ego here. Please you are not like doctors who saves lives!!!
    -was told the job doesnt allow me to take my 2 breaks because of hourly deadline.
    -you will be trained by a 20 something yr old who thinks he/she is better and smarter than someone who actually have more experience. Please...
    -employees may look sharp but basically surfing the internet most of the time.
    Dont feel bad if you did not get a job with this company. Call yourself blessed and fortunate instead. Did not regret leaving this company. they dont have layoffs because people dont stay long anyways.

Advice to Management

Look at what other companies are doing! Wake up! Its a brand new world! Move forward! You cant attract talent with your culture, management and low pay.

9. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Order Management Manager & Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, endless opportunities to grow and move up.

Cons

Lean on staff, heavy workload, management somewhat disconnected.

"Old school, stagnant company that isn't willing or able to adjust with current market trends."

Current Employee - CHQ Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - CHQ Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits.
    Located in downtown Seattle.
    Top company in the industry.
    Pay for your orca card (that's a benefit?)

Cons

Soul crushing culture.

Feels like the founders read a business textbook once in the early 80s, copied the organizational flow chart and said 'we're good'.

Can only have 2 personal items at your desk.

As almost every con review says - Low pay.

Promise incentives, bonuses and pay raises and don't deliver. (Especially during hiring process).

Favoritism, nepotism and office politics run rampant.

Outdated tech, systems and strategies.

Tons of dead weight hanging on in the EDI/tech/system development side.

Dress code makes no sense for 90% of positions. (In CHQ, Devs, analysts and their managers stare at screens and lync all day. There is no customer facing experience, yet you'll be sent home if you're not in a suit).

I see alot of smart and educated young people come in with tons of energy, enthusiasm, and drive only to be boxed in, crushed and broken within about 3 or 4 months.

Middle managment is just a collection of people that didn't quit. Not close to the best, brightest or most able.

They care more about how you look, and what you say than the product you turn out, how hard you work or how happy customers/sales/clients are.

The vibe, lighting, desks, etc  all feel like you're working in some warehouse in Cleveland and not in downtown Seattle.

When the CEO of a fortune 500 company doesn't have a college degree, I think that should be a red flag.

Some amazing people in upper management, but most are just tools in suits.

Advice to Management

Good luck.