Experian Reviews | Glassdoor

Experian Reviews

Updated December 10, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Mature working environment with an excellent focus on work life balance (in 113 reviews)

• everyone has a laptop and can work from home as needed (in 35 reviews)

Cons

1. "Senior Software Developer .Net"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, current rate on salary DOE, great people to work with, acceptable life/work balance. Culture and values fantastic, many events for most popular holidays to keep up social interaction with everyone in the company, regardless how high or low you are on the totem pole.

Cons

Poor management resulting in many issues, mostly stress related. Advancement possible, not tied more to relationships with management, rather than accomplishment. Sizable layoffs yearly, ironically same day as issuance of annual bonus.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your team members rather than elaborately going out of your way to avoid them.

2. "Overall great people that work there not a good paying company"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Allen, TX

I worked at Experian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing Company, Great people that work there

Cons

Pay is below industry standard ,too many politics when it comes to growing within the company, Poor management and communication, micromanagement and too many changes to adapt too. Turnover rate is high

Advice to Management

I would recommend hiring more professional and seasoned management for the overall teams and communicate better with staff.

Experian Response

Oct 18, 2017 – Regional Head of Internal Audit - North America

Thank you for the comments and feedback. We also believe that we have great employees that help Experian grow and be better every day. As we adapt for growth in a fast-moving industry, sometimes we... More

3. "QA Engineering at Experian"

Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Experian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Get to work with top notch engineers on a fast changing product
    - Agile work environment, where scrum feedback is quickly incorporated into the scrum cycle
    - Great location in SJ - close to many stores and resturants
    - Weekly catered lunches
    - Many company outings that are great for team building

Cons

- Too many corporate wide meetings that are not relevant to your job and tend to waist time
    - Review process with direct managers ramps up closer to review time, so you end up missing accomplishments that were done earlier.
    - Hand offs from Engineering to Support/IT are not followed, resulting in time wasted documenting upgrade paths that are not followed.

Advice to Management

- Limit/reduce corporate wide meetings that are not relevant to your job
    - Incorporate review writing/feedback on a more regular basis, not just around review date due time.

Experian Response

Oct 23, 2017 – HR Business Partner Global Decision Analytics

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the thoughtful comments and are glad that you enjoyed much of the work environment in the San Jose office. We have made many strides to... More

"What have you done for me today"

Current Employee - Software Development Developer Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Development Developer Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair pay and benefits
    Work from home option
    It is a big enough place you can just blend in
    There are a few small groups scattered around that do good things and are pushing to try new things

Cons

Long hours are expected and not rewarded
    Middle management seems to be just trying to keep there job rather then help the team grow and move forward
    Reorgs are the norm

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and stick with it for more then 6 months. Rather then rebrand the outside, take a look inside and find the people getting things done and highlight that rather then changing the look of the logo

"They're not the worst employer I worked for buuuut..."

Current Employee - Director in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can say that I worked with a lot of smart people who took their jobs and their duty seriously. There's no lack of passion for the customer and balancing "do the right thing for the customer" with operating safely within the regulatory requirements. As consumer I feel very confident that Experian is safeguarding my personal information and they have good procedures in place to run a stable data warehousing operation.

Cons

Experian can't get anything done, I still scratch my head wondering how they consider themselves "innovative" - completely ineffective at executing with any sense of urgency. Lots of issues with architecture - something breaks on one product that takes down four other seemingly unrelated products with it. There's a constant sense of frenetic chaos - methodical, thoughtful planning & execution is completely lacking at execution (part of the reason why nothing ever gets done).

Above all that, my lasting impression is that Experian does a really good job at hiring the wrong people for the role, keeping around bad apples FAR too long and promoting people who are clearly unfit for their current (let alone new) role. It's completely demoralizing and demotivating.

Advice to Management

Stop asking employees for feedback on surveys but not actually take action as a result of it - you're wasting everyone's time. There's a lot of fear in the organization to come forward about problem managers - look into the MCE org. Then again you probably won't find anything you don't already know, you've just chosen not to act on it and that's a disservice to your employees, customers and the Company.

6. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities, people, work-family balance, global structure

Cons

Some senior leaders better than others

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. "Powering Opportunities"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Experian are what makes your time here so brilliant - I've been fortunate enough to work with incredible managers (current manager especially) and inspiring team mates. I am always blown away by the energy and innovation of our people - they're creating cutting edge products and are working in a space that is becoming more and more important to people every day.
    Furthermore, Experian is a truly global company and there are incredible opportunities to work with people from around the world as well as relocate to other offices around the world. I relocated internationally this year, and the support I have received throughout this move has been wonderful – both in and out of work.
    I am also really impressed by the Senior Leaders in the US - they have high visibility and their passion for their work is tangible. I feel like we're being led by a CEO that is both down to earth and passionate. The Senior Leader team is also filled with individuals who love their work and want the best for their teams. It's aspirational.

Cons

My experience with Experian is somewhat unique, as I have worked for the company in two different regions. As such, I have felt the culture change from one region to another and have seen the way in which practices and procedures vary from one city to another. Experian is on a journey, with the recent rebranding assisting to create a global identity that all locations can embed. However, there is still a way to go.

Advice to Management

I would encourage management of the regions to think a little less centrically. There are great teams working across the globe and with a little less take and a little more give, there could be some wins in aligning simple processes, procedures and methodology that would greatly benefit the culture.

"Marketing Analyst"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits - from fully paid parental leave to paid volunteer time and 401K match. It also really values work-life balance and is great for working parents. The current leadership is engaged and values their employees' opinions. Overall, good place to work and company to retire with.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted or move ahead. There are not a lot of opportunities to be crossed trained or learn additional skills. Promotions are difficult to come by and the pay is on the lower end in the industry.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being engaged, open, and transparent!

9. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Newark, DE

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work remotely, understanding of work/life importance, open to suggestions to improve, technology advancement - innovation, recognition, environment of learning & development

Cons

Times of very high pressure toward goals - don't just focus on #'s

Advice to Management

Keep pressing all levels to 'Own It' and 'Make it Happen'

"Work hard, innovate and make a difference with great people"

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career opportunities in many business units or globally, development resources, working with smart people, being able to innovate, working on a winning team, being able to do volunteer work, work for a company with integrity...so many more pro's.

Cons

Non-sales functions can be lean in terms of resources so you need to regularly create efficiency to survive. Internal systems are archaic and inefficient.

Advice to Management

Upgrade technology; our finance and HR systems are due for an overhaul if we want to be competitively ahead. Build more effective product management capabilities that continually deliver what clients need now and in the future. You are focused on making it a great place to work, but why do internal processes continue to be inefficient? Senior leaders accountable to make us more efficient and responsive to clients.

Showing 1,343 of 1,387 reviews