Experian Reviews | Glassdoor

Experian Reviews

Updated March 25, 2017

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Relatively low salary and not so good work-life balance (overtime, no remote work) (in 19 reviews)

• Senior management can be absent & disconnected with staff (in 40 reviews)

"The worst place I ever worked, which is saying a lot"

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had good work-life balance. That was honestly the reason I stayed as long as I did but in the end, it wasn't nearly enough.

Cons

Swimming in mediocrity, terrible talent brand, don't care about employees

Advice to Management

Experian was profitable in 2013, but didn't hit their overly aggressive targets, so they screwed people out of bonuses, but top performers were still supposed to get something. They have a written policy that if you are still employed at end of fiscal year (April 1), you will get your bonus. They did not honor that this year, even though it was a written policy. If you left after April 1, they just screwed you out of it. No letter, nothing. It's a class action suit waiting to happen. And this is one of many examples of how little they care about their employees.

"A wrong turn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are other divisions to work for that are likely better managed than the Costa Mesa office.

Cons

The most political work environment I've ever worked in. Constant change, lack of focus and no sign of teamwork.

Advice to Management

Hire capable Sr. Managers that are real leaders. Pay attention to the customer and build products that cater to their needs.

"Low Budget Employer"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Allen, TX

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No weekends Vacation Sick Time

Cons

No recognition no matter how hard you try. Lazy employees get paid the same or more as hard working employees, who never call in sick. Management recognizes employees whom they like not employees that get the job done. Less qualified people promoted to positions, while qualified applicants are told they need more experience.

Advice to Management

Stop playing games. no one cares about Kentucky Derby or Dance off. Pay a decent wage based on experience. Stop holding qualified hardworking employees back because you don't like them.

"Did not pay out bonus to top performer"

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work life balance, some of my colleagues were nice, our division was an interesting business

Cons

Last year bonus was cut in half due to company performance, this year they gave nothing, I was a top rated employee.

Advice to Management

Since I left, I realized that this was an even more awful place to work than I realized when I was there. They are cheap and the bulk of their leadership is terrible. Very high turnover.

"Stay Away From Experian NSC - Especially Women"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are definitely some positives. The team, as a whole, is full of outstanding people and are in many cases very good at what they do. The support teams, like sales support and membership, are some of the best people I have ever worked with. I have a lot of respect and admiration for them. Experian as a whole is a very good company. But this does not, and I mean DOES NOT apply to the NSC.

Cons

I do not know a single person in the Experian NSC who is happy working there. Not one. NSC Management refuses to be clear about rules and standards, and in my opinion it is because it allows them to twist, bend, or make up the rules as needed to support decisions that actual data would not support, or to single out individuals when they would have to include others if they went by data and clear standards.

I quit recently, but have been told by NSC team members I have a good relationship with that NSC management has either stated or strongly implied in meetings that I was fired. If true, it means that the people you will work for if you join the NSC team are liars, that they gossip like schoolgirls about private, confidential personnel and disciplinary matters with people who have no reason to know. You know how a lot of offices have the person that has nothing better to do than spread rumors? Now imagine that person is your boss.

Not long before I left, one employee got up from his desk in a rage over something he thought another employee did, but which I thought would be perfectly legitimate if she had done it. Employee A, the enraged one, who is large and male, walked over to the cube of employee B, who is smaller and female, and yelled loudly, with f-bombs here, there, and everywhere. With A’s presence between her and the exit from her cube and A’s posture being very aggressive, B had little choice but to endure this. She must have been scared out of her mind and felt very threatened. Surely A would be fired for this, right? Nope, at least not before I left about a week later, and as far as I know he got a slap on the wrist before being sent back to work 20 feet away from the target of his outburst. I don’t know if a warning was issued, because, to my knowledge his case was not discussed publicly. It would be very ironic if management said it could not discuss personnel issues publicly, because all signs suggest they are perfectly comfortable with it. My colleagues expressed to me their belief that A, due to his sales numbers being good, would not be in any danger of being fired. That is speculation, but the near-assault as I described it happened and one team member must have been deeply shaken and intimidated and the other suffered no real consequences I am aware of. If that is because of his sales, somebody could conclude that, in the Experian NSC, if your numbers are good you can harass and abuse others. As I said, I don’t know why it was handled the way it appears to have been handled, but I would not want any female relatives or friends of mine to work in a place where one employee could treat another like that and not be immediately escorted off the property by security.

Now, consider the comfort level NSC management has and the amount of tolerance they have for employees resolving conflicts, real and imagined, among themselves even if it might increase the risk of office rage like the 100% true story above. To this, add crazy systems like inbound calls ringing on everyone's phone at the same time, so individual performance is not necessarily based on superior sales skills, but could be mostly due to someone's ability to keep their finger on a button on their phone. If you work to feed your kids or keep a roof over your head, this is not a small thing. It is deadly serious. If you think your ability to take care of the people you love is being messed with by luck, circumstance, cheating, or other things you cannot control, you may feel a lot of stress and frustration, and if you don't, the person next to you might. This system is what has passed for good judgment at least twice, with two different groups. It obliterates the team atmosphere and gives people a reason to look at their fellow team members as threats. Especially if they have the severe anger-management issues like the person in the story above, who you will be working with if you join the NSC.

It is commonly believed that if you do break through and have a good year, and exceed your quota, NSC management can and sometimes do raise your quota so they need not pay you. It is also commonly believed that NSC management has reneged on a sales award at least one time. These are rumors, but if management enjoys spreading rumors I might as well let you know what team members have said, since I consider it to be more reliable than what management says. Personally, I believe they are accurate.

In summary, the way I see it, if you join the Experian NSC, you will work for people who refuse to be clear about standards and rules. You'll work with a team that is almost entirely unhappy. You may be subject to harassment, abuse, and intimidation, or possibly even violence, by someone already known by NSC management to have engaged in threatening behavior against a fellow NSC associate. You may sit next to this person, but only if you work in the Experian NSC. You can look forward to having to argue for your interpretation of the rules because others interpret them in away that is bad for you, and NSC management is unable or unwilling to make a clear set of rules that apply equally to everyone.

I left because I had a disagreement with Experian over what I considered to be unethical practices by the NSC management team that pressured me and others to choose between violating the law, violating Experian policy, or alienating management. Any of those could have put my job in jeopardy. I believe my relationship changed due to my raising the issue with HR, which failed to provide any assistance in resolving it. You can take this as the word of a disgruntled ex-employee if you like, but an employment lawyer I talked to agreed with me, but pointed out that Illinois is an at-will state, so if they can make up a good reason to let you go it can cover for illegitimate reasons that might be the real cause.

Advice to Management

You chose the people who now lead the Experian NSC in Schaumburg. Because of your decisions about who should lead the NSC, virtually everyone is unhappy. Virtually nobody feels they know what the rules and standards are or that they can trust NSC management to be honest and fair. These people you chose to lead your NSC team are apparently recklessly sharing confidential employee info with people whose jobs do not require it, which is a serious breach of ethics in my opinion and if it is not against the law it sure should be. And these people you chose to lead the NSC have left it in the hands of the team, especially the loudest, most aggressive people, to decide how the rules will be implemented rather than step up and do their jobs and provide real leadership. And at least one of your employees has been subject to a horrifying episode of office rage in which any normal woman would have been seriously in fear for her safety, and STILL HAS TO WORK 20 FEET AWAY from the very person who did it. What the hell is wrong with you that you have allowed the NSC to come to this? Seriously, what??????

"DO NOT WORK HERE!!! Waste of career time!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allen, TX

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gain relationships with co workers
    Benefits
    Perks

Cons

Management and supervisors look out for eachother. So there is no advancement besides people they choose. Promotion is based on being liked and not skill.
    They have so many lawsuits, sexual harassment, discrimination, fmla and sadly HR takes the manager and supervisors side if you file a complaint. (They have a tight close unit)
    The experian brand cheats there customers with the $1 trial every call is a upset member demanding refunds and we are trained not to give any refunds
    This job does nothing for natural talent, it will drive you crazy...

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and job instead of friendships

Corporate needs to do undercover boss

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Allen, TX

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None
    There are amenities you have no time to take advantage of. Do not expect person in authority position to have a background in the field or expertise for that matter.

Cons

Unprofessional work environment. They do not help the consumer. Remember the more information on the credit report means they receive more money from creditors accurate or not. Stop order scores each creditor has their own scoring model they assess to your report therefore, we've all been duped.

Advice to Management

Fire all and regroup

"This company cares little about their people"

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really wonderful product managers at this company.

Cons

This company doesn't care how they make the bottom line and they care little about people. They love to do reviews to make themselves look like a nice place to work but it is smoke and mirrors. They care only about the bottom line and they don't care how they get there as long as the money shows up in the right column. They overwork people and it is common practice for people to ask (when they have left the company) how long did you last there...giving the impression that lasting a long time at the company is something of a feat.

Advice to Management

* Create a "real" team environment in Experian. This does not exist across BU's today.
    * pay attention to your middle management - you might be surprised what they are actually doing.
    * really listen to your employees and do something about it after you listen to them
    * Get rid of the channel conflict - there is way to much of it
    A company that has happy employees has better sales and ultimately a better company.

"Director, Client Services"

Former Employee - Director, Client Services in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Director, Client Services in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian full-time

Pros

Company has a good down-to-earth culture, that allows for people to get to know each other outside of departments. Overall compensation and benefits are good.

Cons

The feeling of having good benefits are tarnished by the highly political charged environment and uncertainty of stable jobs. Company does away with positions and departments very rapidly.

Advice to Management

Create a more stable environment by valuing employees via their hard work and not politics. Make more of an effort to keep good talent and work towards more diversity at the top.

"Software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and stable employment even though recent competition is a slight threat.

Cons

- Highly political environment between Engineering and Web Development. Risky but potentially lucrative development projects handed off to web development. If the projects are seen as a success, Engineering will bury web dev and move forward on those projects and take all of the credit. This happened on several major company changing initiatives.
    - Promotions based on cultural background and favoritism. After working on several game changing projects, working nights and weekends, winning several rewards and working at the company for over 6 years, never promoted once while others who did maintenance work were promoted to expert and consultant level.

Advice to Management

Stop burying good workers for your own political and company gain. I have seen too many good dedicated employees leave because of this.

Get to the root of the technology issues instead of trying new technologies in hopes this may help speed the process up and boost profitability