Experian Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 15, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Great work-life balance in HR"

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working for a department and CHRO who understands the importance of balancing work and home life. I truly feel like I'm able to do my job and not be questioned on my whereabouts. Therefore, I give 110% of myself into my job.

Also, a strong culture on community outreach. Love that!

Cons

Not a great amount of cross functional development or training within the departments. Some silos are quite visable.

"Great Benefits & Pay But Slow to Change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Everyone here is smart and friendly, and there's a lot of old-timers here. I have several colleagues who have been with the company over 40 years! That's gotta say something, right? The benefits here are also pretty amazing. For example, they really value loyalty here, so the longer you're at the company, the more accelerated your paid time off is. They start you off at 15 accrued paid days off, and after 2 years with the company, they already bump you up to 20 days off per year - and that's not including the 10 paid holidays and 5 days of sick time either! You get 5 days of sick time per year with no need to accrue. It doesn't roll over, but you get it automatically at the start of every year. Depending on your team, there's a lot of work/life balance with opportunities to work from home if needed. The maternity leave is also generous here, so it's a great place to work if you plan to start a family or already have one. They have an employee stock purchase plan that has really paid off, giving employees 15% off the lowest fair market rate, and they match 401 (k) at 4% (100% vested). They even have a 401 (k) Roth option as well if you prefer everything to be after taxes. I also think the pay is really competitive compared to others in the area. The campus is also in the heart of Costa Mesa, so you're near a lot of good restaurants and happy hours. Managers tend to be flexible, and overall, it's a great place to work.

Cons

It can get pretty clique-y here with some nepotism if you're not part of the good 'ol boys club. If you're in management, you work pretty hard for that sweet-looking paycheck. There seems to be a lot of pressure in upper management, but if you love to work hard or your work is your life, this is the place to be if you're in management. Progress here is slow and bureaucratic, especially updating software systems. They could use a makeover here, but that seems to be in the works for the next couple of years.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to your employees. As long as you respond to their constructive criticism (at least the ones that are constructive), this will continue to be a great place to work.

"Massive Waste of Time"

Former Employee - Technology Architect in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Technology Architect in Riverside, CA

I worked at Experian (More than 5 years)

Pros

Experian is exactly like Blockbuster, before the fall--Arrogant, aloof, and underestimates the rate of technological change. There is no value for innovation. There is no respect for people. This was evident in my 2 week tenure. My first 3 days, I did not have a computer--and was expected to know what was being emailed to me by HR as if I did. Your employee orientation lasts long enough to take you to the security guard to get your badge, and then good luck...go got work. Nobody talks to you. Nothing like driving into work and sitting in traffic an hour to sit in a cube in a fairly trafficked area, and nobody even says hello. Ice cold, if you are a people person, this place will make you angry. I don't think anyone knew I had kids, taught at the University, and did not care to ask. Never seen a place like this. Don't waste your time on the interview process, this is not a good place to work, no matter how many awards they buy.

Cons

This is not a technology company, so if you are a geek. Go somewhere else--they dont like geeks! The PC I finally got, could barely run the security compliance software. I did not even have Visio for diagrams. There is no trust at all, and no assumption of professional competency. Pretty much all web sites are blocked. Try writing code with Notepad, I swear they just wanted to frustrate me. Forget about Eclipse, Atom, Cloud9 -- you are screwed! Lets say you install a Linux Shell and wget an editor...busted. You cant even install personal productivity software on your work computer. Think for second, why does a place so anal about security run windows? Makes no sense at all...how much malware/rats/viruses have been dropped on Ubuntu or Open Office? Don't walk away from your desk to go workout--forget about work life balance--that is corporate BS too. When I came back, I had a Kensington Lock on my computer and chair--how humiliating. Here is the rub, I was not given a Kensington Lock, and when this incident occurred, short of it being a good laugh on me. I never got one for my computer, so what was the point, short of humiliation.

Advice to Management

Trust your people and treat them like they have a brain, or give them a severance and send them home. Make the office a civilized place. Fire the managers that hide in their office. Stop the fruit bowl Tuesdays and use the money to buy modern computers. Higher HR staff that understand the value of employee retention. First impressions matter, orientation needs to be more than here is your security badge and good luck.

"Sr Sales Operations Analyst"

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's difficult to move a large company, but we all seem to want to be successful together. The senior leaders are great. They work hard and they care. We are very flexible in time (off or sick). We work hard and play hard here.

Cons

There's nothing significant or worthy of mentioning for the cons section. While no company is perfect, I know we are trying hard to get there. When management cares about their employees, it's difficult to have anything to add for the cons.

Advice to Management

Give employees empowerment.

"Okay"

Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Experian (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid work life balance. Somewhat of a decent place to start a career. Great place to retire considering the pace of organizational change.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Poor communication. Monotonous work and limited innovation potential given the regulatory constraints governing the core business. Lack of creativity or willingness to evolve. Regulation also serves as a barrier to entry which gives management incentives to keep the business in a steady state (and fear for change)

Advice to Management

The bulk of the business should and can be automated. Invest in technology. Invest in succession planning to push the business into the future.

6. "Great place to work for moms!"

Current Employee - Director in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most managers at the company understand work/life balance and provide the flexibility we need! Diversity is great; lots of different schools of thought which makes it a rich environment. I love it!

Cons

Performance Management technology/process is antiquated which can make it hard to get timely, useful feedback.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Experian is a great place to work.

7. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate Business Development in Covington, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate Business Development in Covington, GA

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are looking for work balance life.

Cons

No real job security.

"Customer Care Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Experian (More than a year)

Pros

co-workers are all nice and friendly, you make long lasting friendships with a lot of the people who work there.

Cons

Management is rude and makes you feel like you're back in high school. If the managers sees that you don't like her she'll make you like her, by threatening your job.
    Constantly cleaning house.
    They prefer to let a great worker go than to get rid of the bad seeds.
    Recently gave bonuses to new hires and not veterans because they want everyone to be at the same pay rate, mean while veterans have been waiting for a year to receive a new raise.
    It took two years to get off of a "flex" schedule because they couldn't come up with a good enough system to accommodate everyone's schedule requests.

"The company is a work in progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company was floundering for a while, but it seems to be slowly getting back on track with some management changes. There is still a way to go, but I think there is at least an effort for improvement. Results are still TBD.

Cons

It's a boys club. Want I mean by that is employees are told one thing, i.e. "it's a company policy" but I have seen specific examples of male employees having a high up friend, which means that HR policies don't apply. This happens with accountability for individual performance as well (I have seen it, I'm not just speculating). The favorite sons automatically get the highest performance ratings.

Advice to Management

Recognize that talent within your organization and tap into employees' passion for the business. This start by listening.

"Support Programmer"

Current Employee - Support Programmer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Support Programmer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best Work Culture hands down. 401k. Bonuses and high pay

Cons

The promotions aren't as easy to come by as a start-up or state job would offer.