Experian Reviews in Schaumburg, IL | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Craig Boundy

Pros
Cons
  • Relatively low salary and not so good work-life balance (overtime, no remote work) (in 19 reviews)

• Senior management can be absent & disconnected with staff (in 40 reviews)

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, not great but good. Worked in the Schaumburg office and the people there are wonderful. Fun culture if your in the right area of the business.

Cons

Declining business, lots of downsizing, feels like a company that's on the downhill. Some employees have worked there their entire careers and that can create a stagnant environment.

"Client Svcs"

Former Employee - Client Svc in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Client Svc in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Pay, benefits, flexibility, modern offices.

Cons

Good 'ol boys, advancement difficult.

"Director, Account Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

I understand making changes, but 2-3 times a year is a little much. People don't have time to adjust to the most recent change and it changes again.

Advice to Management

Listen to the successful people in your group not just Sr. management.

"Computer Science Intern"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility, some nice co-workers

Cons

No real software development, just some SQL. As an Intern in the IT department. I had no learning objectives set for me and no role. My mentor did not want to teach me any skills, so I would just pick up random tasks from the managers. The ratio between managers and "developers" on my team was 1:1 so there is no design choice for you. The number of technologies used is very small and seem outdated.

Advice to Management

If you decide to hire someone, set goals and objective.

6. "Senior HR Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Professional development and caring nature of the team members

Cons

Fast paced environment sometimes led to miscommunications or misunderstanding of company direction.

Advice to Management

Continue to hone your development skills to build bench strength for the future.

"awesome coworkers but constant layoffs"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

great coworkers, fabulous clients to work with

Cons

Constant layoffs, not a lot of job security

Advice to Management

please be clear about the state of the company

8. "What once was great, isn't any longer"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Decent pay, but definitely not industry leading
    - No micro management within my BU
    - Decent solutions that have a place and are fairly easy to sell
    - Company as a whole has its hands on about every type of data available

Cons

- Pay becomes flat and doesn't scale with increased sales revenue goals
    - Poor leadership within middle management to upper management, more interested in back slapping and the top/bottom profits to see it is costing them business and employees
    - Lack of vision within BU I work in
    - No longer industry leading when it comes to solutions sold to prospects
    - The company and BU's possess tons of data, but there is a lack of industry leading solutions that make the data actionable
    - Entirely to focused on top & bottom profits 365/24/7 to the point it has and will continue to cost the company sales and employees
    - Benefit package lags behind many 'mid'-sized companies I and my wife have worked for
    - Very unorganized and heavy internal politics from one BU to the next, makes it difficult to practically impossible to conduct business. "seamless" to the customer is a fantasy at this point
    - Lack of career path, even though they conduct annual employee review meetings to "help you grow and advance"

Advice to Management

Wake up!! A company that prides itself on employee happiness and tenure has turned south. For a company that had/has 80-90% tenure, to now see over 50% employee turnover in my BU and team should sound an alert. Yet nothing is done.

Top/bottom revenue goals are terrific, but when it causes your business to stagnate without new leading solutions it will cost you business. This has been happening for years. It is costing you employees - we are tired of hearing about "lack of bandwidth".

Listen to the folks in sales that are front line. They are the voice of the customer. Listen to what the customers are asking for and develop the product they are ask for. They want it, they are asking for it. Yet there is always a delay or reason on why the development of a solution is pushed back or worse.

Middle and upper management need to take a crash course on leadership. There is a difference between a boss and a leader, unfortunately the trend within the company is are managers that are more "boss" than "leader".

"Top heavy company that used to innovate but now is only concerned about the bottom line. Hopefully they can turn it."

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, nice cafeteria

Cons

The company is not agile enough to keep up with the changing pace of the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Look around you. Your competition is eating your lunch!

"Stay Away From Experian NSC - Especially Women"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are definitely some positives. The team, as a whole, is full of outstanding people and are in many cases very good at what they do. The support teams, like sales support and membership, are some of the best people I have ever worked with. I have a lot of respect and admiration for them. Experian as a whole is a very good company. But this does not, and I mean DOES NOT apply to the NSC.

Cons

I do not know a single person in the Experian NSC who is happy working there. Not one. NSC Management refuses to be clear about rules and standards, and in my opinion it is because it allows them to twist, bend, or make up the rules as needed to support decisions that actual data would not support, or to single out individuals when they would have to include others if they went by data and clear standards.

I quit recently, but have been told by NSC team members I have a good relationship with that NSC management has either stated or strongly implied in meetings that I was fired. If true, it means that the people you will work for if you join the NSC team are liars, that they gossip like schoolgirls about private, confidential personnel and disciplinary matters with people who have no reason to know. You know how a lot of offices have the person that has nothing better to do than spread rumors? Now imagine that person is your boss.

Not long before I left, one employee got up from his desk in a rage over something he thought another employee did, but which I thought would be perfectly legitimate if she had done it. Employee A, the enraged one, who is large and male, walked over to the cube of employee B, who is smaller and female, and yelled loudly, with f-bombs here, there, and everywhere. With A’s presence between her and the exit from her cube and A’s posture being very aggressive, B had little choice but to endure this. She must have been scared out of her mind and felt very threatened. Surely A would be fired for this, right? Nope, at least not before I left about a week later, and as far as I know he got a slap on the wrist before being sent back to work 20 feet away from the target of his outburst. I don’t know if a warning was issued, because, to my knowledge his case was not discussed publicly. It would be very ironic if management said it could not discuss personnel issues publicly, because all signs suggest they are perfectly comfortable with it. My colleagues expressed to me their belief that A, due to his sales numbers being good, would not be in any danger of being fired. That is speculation, but the near-assault as I described it happened and one team member must have been deeply shaken and intimidated and the other suffered no real consequences I am aware of. If that is because of his sales, somebody could conclude that, in the Experian NSC, if your numbers are good you can harass and abuse others. As I said, I don’t know why it was handled the way it appears to have been handled, but I would not want any female relatives or friends of mine to work in a place where one employee could treat another like that and not be immediately escorted off the property by security.

Now, consider the comfort level NSC management has and the amount of tolerance they have for employees resolving conflicts, real and imagined, among themselves even if it might increase the risk of office rage like the 100% true story above. To this, add crazy systems like inbound calls ringing on everyone's phone at the same time, so individual performance is not necessarily based on superior sales skills, but could be mostly due to someone's ability to keep their finger on a button on their phone. If you work to feed your kids or keep a roof over your head, this is not a small thing. It is deadly serious. If you think your ability to take care of the people you love is being messed with by luck, circumstance, cheating, or other things you cannot control, you may feel a lot of stress and frustration, and if you don't, the person next to you might. This system is what has passed for good judgment at least twice, with two different groups. It obliterates the team atmosphere and gives people a reason to look at their fellow team members as threats. Especially if they have the severe anger-management issues like the person in the story above, who you will be working with if you join the NSC.

It is commonly believed that if you do break through and have a good year, and exceed your quota, NSC management can and sometimes do raise your quota so they need not pay you. It is also commonly believed that NSC management has reneged on a sales award at least one time. These are rumors, but if management enjoys spreading rumors I might as well let you know what team members have said, since I consider it to be more reliable than what management says. Personally, I believe they are accurate.

In summary, the way I see it, if you join the Experian NSC, you will work for people who refuse to be clear about standards and rules. You'll work with a team that is almost entirely unhappy. You may be subject to harassment, abuse, and intimidation, or possibly even violence, by someone already known by NSC management to have engaged in threatening behavior against a fellow NSC associate. You may sit next to this person, but only if you work in the Experian NSC. You can look forward to having to argue for your interpretation of the rules because others interpret them in away that is bad for you, and NSC management is unable or unwilling to make a clear set of rules that apply equally to everyone.

I left because I had a disagreement with Experian over what I considered to be unethical practices by the NSC management team that pressured me and others to choose between violating the law, violating Experian policy, or alienating management. Any of those could have put my job in jeopardy. I believe my relationship changed due to my raising the issue with HR, which failed to provide any assistance in resolving it. You can take this as the word of a disgruntled ex-employee if you like, but an employment lawyer I talked to agreed with me, but pointed out that Illinois is an at-will state, so if they can make up a good reason to let you go it can cover for illegitimate reasons that might be the real cause.

Advice to Management

You chose the people who now lead the Experian NSC in Schaumburg. Because of your decisions about who should lead the NSC, virtually everyone is unhappy. Virtually nobody feels they know what the rules and standards are or that they can trust NSC management to be honest and fair. These people you chose to lead your NSC team are apparently recklessly sharing confidential employee info with people whose jobs do not require it, which is a serious breach of ethics in my opinion and if it is not against the law it sure should be. And these people you chose to lead the NSC have left it in the hands of the team, especially the loudest, most aggressive people, to decide how the rules will be implemented rather than step up and do their jobs and provide real leadership. And at least one of your employees has been subject to a horrifying episode of office rage in which any normal woman would have been seriously in fear for her safety, and STILL HAS TO WORK 20 FEET AWAY from the very person who did it. What the hell is wrong with you that you have allowed the NSC to come to this? Seriously, what??????

"Overall good, but in the end, laid off"

Current Employee - Senior Client Services Specialist in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Client Services Specialist in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great support & teamwork from fellow co-workers. Great products available for clients.

Cons

Mismanaged. Head of division was never around for very long so different management styles. Constantly changing culture of a lot of management, then trim the management, then back to adding a management. Yearly layoffs.