Expion Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Heffring

"Vibrant culture surrounded by ambitious professionals"

I have been working at Expion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tasked with daunting challenges that inspire you to learn and grow as an individual. Working at Expion has enabled me to grow the amount of experience I have in many different facets. My guess is 1 year of working at Expion is equivalent to 3 years at any other company. The speed at which we get things done at such a high level of quality illustrates the intellectual aptitude and passion that is a shared culture throughout.

Cons

With such a high passion and drive throughout the company it's hard not to take your work home. It's not mandatory to be working when at home but often times I find myself doing it.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path you all are on and exciting things will undoubtedly come.

"One of the most invigorating, innovative, and creative companies I've ever worked for"

I have been working at Expion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people. The people are intelligent, thoughtful and unified toward a common vision. Their enthusiasm and commitment to excellence is clearly evident. If I had to identify the biggest pro, this is it. I really enjoy working amongst my colleagues.
    -Ability to make a difference. Medium sized company with Open Door policy. Everyone is engaged and has the opportunity to contribute on many levels.
    -Work directly with top global brands. Company’s clients are some of the most widely recognized brands in the world.
    -Flex time. Employees have the opportunity to come and go as they please as long as they are in the office during core hours of operation (10 to 4).

Cons

-The extremely fast pace can present many challenges. Employees must be able to make adjustments and embrace change on a daily basis. The days fly by, however, and there is never a dull moment.

-Rapidly growing industry that changes direction often. This can cause chaos for software companies that choose to operate in this arena. Example: Facebook changes an API that causes an issue getting data in or our out of the platform. However, the team always rallies and works until issues are resolved. I never feel alone. The team really rallies when necessary!

"4 Years at Expion"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Expion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast moving, fast growing - opportunity to wear many hats. Exciting industry and a great team of people make coming to work fun - even though everyone is work hard, it is rewarding. Expion has a company meeting every week where the CEO and top management provide a snapshot of what's going on and recognizes new employees. There are frequent company events - on site and off site - and company provided snacks and drinks all the time. Lunch is often provided for team meetings and there are areas provided in the office where people can gather and have lunch or meeting. It's a very upbeat environment. Salaries are fair and the existing benefits are excellent.

Cons

Because it is a fast moving company, if you need a lot of support or training you might get frustrated. If you are looking for an easy 9-5 - this isn't it. It's expected that you will stay late or work from home on deadlines.

Advice to Management

More experienced management may want to acknowledge younger, newer employees with positive and constructive feedback more often.

"Fast-paced, exciting environment"

I have been working at Expion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, exciting environment. Never a dull moment, days fly by and I'm constantly learning new things every day. I get to wear a lot of hats and never feel like my job is stagnant. There are really great perks like a free gym membership, concert tickets, and free food! A very collaborative team environment. The company is focused on an up and coming dynamic industry. Get to work with lots of large global companies who's social footprint is seen around the world. Boss is great, everyone is very approachable and it's a very team-oriented environment.

Cons

Because we are in a new industry, things can change rapidly and you have to be prepared for that. Probably not the best environment for people that don't like change. Sometimes the hours can be longer than the average job, but well worth the environment.

Advice to Management

Working from home would be helpful. Having a floating working day a couple of times a month would really help the work/life balance.

"Fun, challenging, and awesome colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Expion (More than a year)

Pros

Best aspects of working at Expion:
    -The caliber of employees: Everyone is extremely intelligent, hard-working, and willing to help you out. There is a lot of cross-functional team work here, so it's fun to work with team members on projects that you don't interact with on a daily basis.
    -Benefits: The benefits have greatly improved over the past year: medical, dental, 401K, disability and gym membership are all great.
    -Management: My manager is extremely approachable and flexible, offering great career path advice and understanding of personal situations (dr. appt, sick kid, cable company, etc.)
    -Opportunities: Express interest in growing your job duties, and you will be given amazing growth opportunities.
    -Flexibility: We have the ability to choose working times, provided their within core business hours.
    -The People: I know I already mentioned this, but this is the first company I've worked for where I can honestly say that I enjoy everyone I work with!

Cons

If you're an individual that expects to do the minimum amount of work and get by, then this is definitely not the place for you. Because of the level of detail, product complexity, and commitment to our clients, slackers and underachievers are easily noticed.

If you expect to receive promotions and accolades based on tenure or a predefined performance plan, again this is not the place for you. Rewards are given based on taking initiative and hard work.

Since we are a global company supporting organizations across multiple timezones, there are times when working outside of traditional office hours are needed.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide growth opportunities and reward teams for great performance.

7. "Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Expion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best minds I have yet to work with or for in RTP and I have contracted at most of the big organizations in the Triangle.
    The president of the company is truly amazing. Knowing how much passion he has for the company's product and the IT industry makes me feel there is no end to what we can do as IT professionals.

Cons

Had to work with some introverts, but what company does not have that type of personality.

Advice to Management

Nothing different. This management team always tries or is interested in something new, its their ambition to think out of the box.

8. "World of Experience"

I have been working at Expion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expion was recently acquired by Toronto based Sysomos. If you have interest in enterprise software, in any discipline (development, testing, sales, marketing etc.) Expion is the place for you. You will immediately be working with fortune 500 companies. Expion has some of the most brilliant people I have ever worked with and the culture is fun and laid back.

Cons

Software has a history of instability. Challenging at times to support a product with LOTS of bugs.

Advice to Management

Avoid fast, reative, development. It makes the product unstable.

9. "Great environment!"

I have been working at Expion full-time

Pros

Great team of people to work with and can honestly say I learn something new everyday. Always get the feeling that I am supported in trying to advance my career and become the best I possibly can. Very relaxed environment with the occasional issues that come up any where you work.

Cons

Things can get stressful and issues become time sensitive meaning days that can go beyond the average 8-5 but this is not an everyday occurrence. Deadlines are deadlines, this happens anywhere.

Advice to Management

Make sure process is well known to everyone. Things will come up that need to break from process but if everyone has solid foundation in original process, decision making about how to handle a situation goes a little smoother.

10. "A well-balanced mix of talent and work ethic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Expion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The execs have worked hard over the last couple of years to provide a solid set of benefits. They've also added workout areas and have continued to make the kitchen area better (protein bars FTW!). The office is really spacious too, with most people having windowed offices and only one office mate (no cube farm or sardine can).

Speaking of office layout, it really helps to foster transparent leadership by intermixing all levels of management with employees. (Of course, having the ability to walk into my bosses office and ask just about anything and getting a straight answer helps a lot too.)

I also appreciate how involved management is in the day to day running. None of these people are arm chair quarterbacks, they're in the trenches with us so to speak. Plus each one seems genuinely interested in each (read: most, there are still some underachievers) employees level of engagement, satisfaction, and career growth.

Cons

While the organization as a whole has done a good job "rightsizing" compensation, there are still several positions, occupied since before the acquisition, that are woefully underpaid. It would be nice to see veteran employees paid what the new hires command, or at least see some effort to close the gap, but I doubt that will change without attrition.

The other big con is the constant reminder that Expion is owned by a seemingly dysfunctional organization. It's become cliché how often you'll hear "waiting on..." or "haven't heard back from..." or "we're awaiting approval..."

But each of those negatives seems to be driven by the greater org, and not Expion directly so I didn't let them detract from the review.

Advice to Management

Sell again...to someone who has a plan and knows what they're doing.

11. "Great division leadership team"

I have been working at Expion full-time

Pros

Very talented team in their entirety. Can adapt to the constant change that the social intelligence vertical has become.

Cons

The division is restricted from corporate office and cannot flourish. The velocity of the throughput has slowed due to the restrictions and poor communications between divisions.

Advice to Management

Separate