Expion Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Heffring

"Great work staff, terrible management"

Pros

Casual dress code, healthy snacks and other foods provided by the company, great co-workers.

Cons

I worked prior to the SYSMOS merger.

Pay: Abysmally low compared with local or even across the country. I was making roughly HALF what my title would make anywhere else. Bonuses were promised to all but only given out to a select few that worked 70-80+ hours a week on the product directly, and even then often in the form of "things". A prime example was the company buying a new washer dryer set so that they could write it off as a company expense and not an actual bonus.

Environment: Constant release schedule was the source of a lot of stress across all departments. for a few months we were releasing every night and only stopped when two major clients threatened to stop using the product because the updates were resulting in a constantly unusable product.
    Any question to the status quo is met with harsh and often belligerent backlash, especially if it means spending any even minor amount on things that are needed instead of whatever the flavor of the week the CEO deems important.

Extraordinary turn over rate for sales/client services teams. CEO would also openly yell at and degrade employees infront of other employees. HR "department" is a joke as the only HR person there was clueless to how benefits worked and what was good for the employees in any regard, causing us to lose VERY good benefits "because Obamacare is coming".

Advice to Management

Learn the difference between a manager and Leader, then be the Leader.

2. "Software Engineer"

Pros

Exciting and fun place to work. Fast pace and high energy and very efficiency.

Cons

Not too much training for the new employee

3. "A group of intelligent savvy business minded leaders"

I have been working at Expion full-time

Pros

Fun exciting and ready for anything. All departments of Expion are very lean in personnel but they make it work with efficiency and high energy.

Cons

Direction and vision is foggy but at no fault to the Expion team.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do and things will continue to better themselves.

5. "Great division leadership team"

I have been working at Expion full-time

Pros

Very talented team in their entirety. Can adapt to the constant change that the social intelligence vertical has become.

Cons

The division is restricted from corporate office and cannot flourish. The velocity of the throughput has slowed due to the restrictions and poor communications between divisions.

Advice to Management

Separate

6. "A well-balanced mix of talent and work ethic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Expion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The execs have worked hard over the last couple of years to provide a solid set of benefits. They've also added workout areas and have continued to make the kitchen area better (protein bars FTW!). The office is really spacious too, with most people having windowed offices and only one office mate (no cube farm or sardine can).

Speaking of office layout, it really helps to foster transparent leadership by intermixing all levels of management with employees. (Of course, having the ability to walk into my bosses office and ask just about anything and getting a straight answer helps a lot too.)

I also appreciate how involved management is in the day to day running. None of these people are arm chair quarterbacks, they're in the trenches with us so to speak. Plus each one seems genuinely interested in each (read: most, there are still some underachievers) employees level of engagement, satisfaction, and career growth.

Cons

While the organization as a whole has done a good job "rightsizing" compensation, there are still several positions, occupied since before the acquisition, that are woefully underpaid. It would be nice to see veteran employees paid what the new hires command, or at least see some effort to close the gap, but I doubt that will change without attrition.

The other big con is the constant reminder that Expion is owned by a seemingly dysfunctional organization. It's become cliché how often you'll hear "waiting on..." or "haven't heard back from..." or "we're awaiting approval..."

But each of those negatives seems to be driven by the greater org, and not Expion directly so I didn't let them detract from the review.

Advice to Management

Sell again...to someone who has a plan and knows what they're doing.

7. "Great environment!"

I have been working at Expion full-time

Pros

Great team of people to work with and can honestly say I learn something new everyday. Always get the feeling that I am supported in trying to advance my career and become the best I possibly can. Very relaxed environment with the occasional issues that come up any where you work.

Cons

Things can get stressful and issues become time sensitive meaning days that can go beyond the average 8-5 but this is not an everyday occurrence. Deadlines are deadlines, this happens anywhere.

Advice to Management

Make sure process is well known to everyone. Things will come up that need to break from process but if everyone has solid foundation in original process, decision making about how to handle a situation goes a little smoother.

8. "World of Experience"

I have been working at Expion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expion was recently acquired by Toronto based Sysomos. If you have interest in enterprise software, in any discipline (development, testing, sales, marketing etc.) Expion is the place for you. You will immediately be working with fortune 500 companies. Expion has some of the most brilliant people I have ever worked with and the culture is fun and laid back.

Cons

Software has a history of instability. Challenging at times to support a product with LOTS of bugs.

Advice to Management

Avoid fast, reative, development. It makes the product unstable.

9. "Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Expion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best minds I have yet to work with or for in RTP and I have contracted at most of the big organizations in the Triangle.
    The president of the company is truly amazing. Knowing how much passion he has for the company's product and the IT industry makes me feel there is no end to what we can do as IT professionals.

Cons

Had to work with some introverts, but what company does not have that type of personality.

Advice to Management

Nothing different. This management team always tries or is interested in something new, its their ambition to think out of the box.

"Great Company! If your young and have no kids"

I worked at Expion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, Tight employee group, Fun company teams and great culture. Friday night beer and dance parties. Cutting edge technology and you can't get better work experience.

Cons

Never ending workload. Being on the cutting edge means you have to always be "on", not a bad thing if your life situation can handle it. Expion really tries to help you with it but it's inevitable and it will consume you.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Fun, challenging, and awesome colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Expion (More than a year)

Pros

Best aspects of working at Expion:
    -The caliber of employees: Everyone is extremely intelligent, hard-working, and willing to help you out. There is a lot of cross-functional team work here, so it's fun to work with team members on projects that you don't interact with on a daily basis.
    -Benefits: The benefits have greatly improved over the past year: medical, dental, 401K, disability and gym membership are all great.
    -Management: My manager is extremely approachable and flexible, offering great career path advice and understanding of personal situations (dr. appt, sick kid, cable company, etc.)
    -Opportunities: Express interest in growing your job duties, and you will be given amazing growth opportunities.
    -Flexibility: We have the ability to choose working times, provided their within core business hours.
    -The People: I know I already mentioned this, but this is the first company I've worked for where I can honestly say that I enjoy everyone I work with!

Cons

If you're an individual that expects to do the minimum amount of work and get by, then this is definitely not the place for you. Because of the level of detail, product complexity, and commitment to our clients, slackers and underachievers are easily noticed.

If you expect to receive promotions and accolades based on tenure or a predefined performance plan, again this is not the place for you. Rewards are given based on taking initiative and hard work.

Since we are a global company supporting organizations across multiple timezones, there are times when working outside of traditional office hours are needed.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide growth opportunities and reward teams for great performance.