Explore Learning "tutors" Reviews | Glassdoor

Explore Learning Employee Reviews about "tutors"

Updated Nov 25, 2019

3.8
Explore Learning CEO Bill Mills
Bill Mills
Pros
Cons
  • "they're under pressure to sign kids up but what that means for tutors is increased demand in tutoring children as young as 4(in 68 reviews)

• "Looking at the reviews on Glassdoor, a strong theme is about working hours(in 32 reviews)

Reviews about "tutors"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A really great first job"

Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a really good atmosphere here, with everyone supporting each other and giving constructive feedback. For a first job, I feel like I have gained so many skills, not just in tutoring and interacting with children but also in sales and even management of a busy centre. Regular (paid) trainings ensure that all the tutors are on the same page, and the tutors themselves are absolutely fab people.

Cons

The biggest downside is the pay - you are often tutoring 6 children at once, and are paid a fraction of the salary you would earn for privately tutoring just 1 child. The pay is based basically entirely on your age rather than your experience or what you bring to the centre - I manage showtimes on a Sunday and have been a tutor there for a year, but am paid significantly less than the (older) tutors who have just... joined and aren't as confident or capable in the job as of yet.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see a more regular pay review system - as a 17 year old, I'm paid significantly less than the older tutors who have only just joined and I often help out with. Other than that, a great job though!

Explore Learning2019-11-22
  2. "Part-time Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor in London, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly colleagues and managers. Enjoyed helping children realise their potential.

Cons

The pay was done by age - not fair when do the exact same work as other tutors. Company makes huge profits rather than paying under 18 staff well.

Explore Learning2019-11-11
  3. "NA"

Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, good work environment (for the most part)

Cons

Draining, managers don’t seem to care about tutors a lot and are very hypocritical

Advice to Management

Train managers to be better at listening to their tutors

Explore Learning2019-11-07
  4. "Flexible, but unprofessional"

Current Employee - Tutor in London, England

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours for university students and Discounts for direct family members. Great experience for those who want to move into teaching or childcare.

Cons

There aren't really any benefits unless you have young siblings or have young children yourself. The company hires mostly under 18's, which can create an immature and unreliable work team. Due to young recruitment, the management treat the team like they are kids. Tutors are made to do run around jobs while managers go to the store for personal errands or stay in the office

Advice to Management

Management should be more hands on with their tutors, providing more support throughout their shifts. They also shouldn't expect the tutors to do their 'dirty work'/jobs they'd rather not do, such as cleaning their fridge or cleaning the toilet (sometimes keeping them late for them to do so).

Explore Learning2019-11-08
  5. "Awful."

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

None, not one, absolutely zero.

Cons

Dreadful shift patterns, no respect for tutors, catty and unprofessional management.

Explore Learning2019-11-25
  6. "A company with great intentions but the lower level management is flawed"

Former Employee - Tutor in London, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great ethos and company feel to spread the word and inspire children Loved working with children and helping them to reach their full potential Good tutor of the year awards Good training, and flexible hours

Cons

Low pay Favouritism in centres where tutors get treated differently and any issues that occur are dealt with unfairly as sides are taken by CDs Very toxic working environment, where tutors are being picked at by CDs and SSs when tutoring twice the number of children allowed while management sit and critique you

Advice to Management

Try to be more fair to employees and treat everyone the same. There are unequal opportunities and it’s become a very toxic environment where loyal employees have had to leave. Management need to have a different more constructive and positive approach in appraisals and need to help you improve, not diminish your confidence. I loved my job but the constant nit picking and staff talking about each other made my job... unbearable to continue. Gutted that I had to leave.

Explore Learning2019-09-26

"Not quite what the job title says"

Former Employee - Tutor At Explore Learning in Newcastle, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team of tutors Great hours for uni students as shifts start at 3 earliest Wide variety of kids to work with

Cons

UNDERPAID FOR EXPECTED JOB (compared to OTHER tuition centres) Unrealistic expectations of tutors Unprofessional management/organisation Flawed grading system Inconsistent with job description Seems more like a Sales job

Advice to Management

I applied to this job believing that I would be able to improve my skills in relaying knowledge to children and my overall tutoring ability. However, what I did not expect was to feel demoralised after each shift. Paid only a minute amount over minimum wage, tutors are expected to treat this job as if it is their full-time career whilst also performing other tasks not mentioned in the job description such as:... cleaning faeces from the childrens’ toilet, painting the centre, buying others’ lunches, fixing cupboards and using no more nails on desks. The company prides itself on a system of “constructive feedback” but this feedback is only given when trying to set an example. In general, feedback is simply not constructive. The appraisal system is majorly flawed in that tutors who hit the ground running are constantly held at a higher standard than other tutors and therefore trying to progress compared to other tutors is seemingly impossible. Two tutors of the same appraisal grade could be at two completely different ability levels - it is best to do very little when you begin the job and be seen to “improve” otherwise you will never advance a grade. The company seems to value marketing and sales more than anything else. There is certain favouritism among certain members of staff; some members are able to get away with certain things that others would not dream of doing. In general, especially compared to other tutoring companies, the pay rate is simply abysmal. These flaws aside, the feeling of making a difference with children really does make a somewhat exhausting shift into a positive one. Should the level of professionalism increase, this would be a job I would recommend to anyone.

Explore Learning2019-09-20
  8. "It’s okay..."

Former Employee - Tutor in nine elms, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working with children, you see so many characters and it’s great to see their improvement and listen to their stories. Flexible Hours to fit you, particularly students Good for obtaining more communication skills Opportunities in self learning Nice socials

Cons

Management definitely show traits of favouring certain tutors. Can be condescending and rude in how they speak to tutors, remember we are human too Like to sit in the office and have a gossip, same with some other tutors Purposely make some tutors tutor 6 children back to back, whilst other tutors hardly have another in their zone Pay is HORRIBLE, for the amount of work you’d do. You do more than the managers... yet get bad pay. Expect you to deliver excellent workshops whilst giving you the information an hour before and have no training on it Literally cannot talk to other tutors without being rudely told to stop talking or looked at

Advice to Management

Treat tutors with some respect, they’re not your children they don’t work for you. They work for Explore Learning just like you guys do. Consider getting out the office and actually helping out more. Communication is key in the accurate and professional way!!

Explore Learning2019-09-02
  9. "Friendly and inviting atmosphere"

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a real team spirit at Explore Learning, between the tutors and parents of the kids you are tutoring. My Centre Director had my back the entire time I worked at Explore Learning (2 years). The shifts were easy to navigate and we were told that there is a minimum of 2 shifts a week (8 hours per week).

Cons

To some extent, it is difficult to see how you are helping the kids, it felt like an organised daycare some days, but this was not always the case.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but maybe see which kids require more help and focus on them, so they benefit as much as the others.

Explore Learning2019-08-14
  10. "Great job to balance with studies"

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at Explore for about a year and a half while I was in sixth form and found it to be a rewarding experience overall. Lots of opportunities to take on more responsibilities, some hugely positive experiences with lots of the children, great chance to build rapport over a longer period of time with both students and parents. Generally great working relationships with the managers and the other tutors, and I... found the team to be really accommodating with arranging shifts/cover during exams. As for progression, by the time I left two of my three managers had previously been tutors, one before university and one throughout - I think this speaks pretty well for the working environment!

Cons

If you're looking for the sort of job that provides extra hours in the holidays, this probably isn't for you as this is when the centres tend to be most quiet. This is the main reason I chose not to stay on to work in the holidays after leaving for university, as there wasn't a centre in my new city and the holiday hours aren't worth it! Also, the wages are quite pitiful at first if you're under 18, but this did go... up once or twice a year and I was earning a good £2/3 extra per hour by the time I left (including the 18+ bump).

Explore Learning2019-06-25