Explore Learning "working with children" Reviews | Glassdoor

Explore Learning Employee Reviews about "working with children"

Updated 9 Oct 2019

3.7
Explore Learning CEO Bill Mills
Bill Mills
Pros
Cons
  • "they're under pressure to sign kids up but what that means for tutors is increased demand in tutoring children as young as 4(in 69 reviews)

• "Looking at the reviews on Glassdoor, a strong theme is about working hours(in 33 reviews)

Reviews about "working with children"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A great first job"

Current Employee - Tutor in Welwyn, England

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

Rewarding working with children and fun positive environemnt

Cons

Low starting wage for under 18s (5pounds)

Explore Learning2019-10-09
  2. "A company with great intentions but the lower level management is flawed"

Former Employee - Tutor in London, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great ethos and company feel to spread the word and inspire children Loved working with children and helping them to reach their full potential Good tutor of the year awards Good training, and flexible hours

Cons

Low pay Favouritism in centres where tutors get treated differently and any issues that occur are dealt with unfairly as sides are taken by CDs Very toxic working environment, where tutors are being picked at by CDs and SSs when tutoring twice the number of children allowed while management sit and critique you

Advice to Management

Try to be more fair to employees and treat everyone the same. There are unequal opportunities and it’s become a very toxic environment where loyal employees have had to leave. Management need to have a different more constructive and positive approach in appraisals and need to help you improve, not diminish your confidence. I loved my job but the constant nit picking and staff talking about each other made my job... unbearable to continue. Gutted that I had to leave.

Explore Learning2019-09-26
  3. "It’s okay..."

Former Employee - Tutor in nine elms, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working with children, you see so many characters and it’s great to see their improvement and listen to their stories. Flexible Hours to fit you, particularly students Good for obtaining more communication skills Opportunities in self learning Nice socials

Cons

Management definitely show traits of favouring certain tutors. Can be condescending and rude in how they speak to tutors, remember we are human too Like to sit in the office and have a gossip, same with some other tutors Purposely make some tutors tutor 6 children back to back, whilst other tutors hardly have another in their zone Pay is HORRIBLE, for the amount of work you’d do. You do more than the managers... yet get bad pay. Expect you to deliver excellent workshops whilst giving you the information an hour before and have no training on it Literally cannot talk to other tutors without being rudely told to stop talking or looked at

Advice to Management

Treat tutors with some respect, they’re not your children they don’t work for you. They work for Explore Learning just like you guys do. Consider getting out the office and actually helping out more. Communication is key in the accurate and professional way!!

Explore Learning2019-09-02

"Don't Be Fooled - This Is A Sales Job"

Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Explore Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

- You are given lots of responsibility very quickly. - Good Salary for a starter graduate job. - Good experience for the CV, allowing you to move on in the future. - Working with children and families is always rewarding, especially in one of the larger centres where demand is very high

Cons

- The job is fundamentally not as advertised or described in the interview. The position was described to me as 50:50 between education and sales, but I found 90% of my time was sales focused. - Very pushy and often morally ambiguous sales techniques were encouraged often. I worked in one of the biggest centres in the country, where the targets were very high and as such we were encouraged to do ANYTHING to get the... sale. I was explicitly told to lie by my line manager in many sales situations. This was particularly prevalent with families with SEN needs. - Bonus structure is entitled for abuse. Centre Directors get bonuses for coming under budget, and as a result we were often under-resourced. - Culture of bullying - myself and several ADs had a horrific time with bullying from a regional manager level down. Felt very little support when reaching out to HR. - Incredibly high staff turnover provides little stability. - Lots of unpaid overtime expected. Therefore even if the salary is high, it does not realistically represent the amount of work expected of you.

Advice to Management

A bad CD can have a horrific affect on both the centre and the well being of your employees. Look into improving contact between less senior members of staff and head office. Make sure complaints are properly followed up. Completely overhaul your SEN policy.

Explore Learning2019-08-14
  5. "Good teaching experience, but poor working culture."

Former Employee - Tutor in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

If you fancy a few months worth of working with children, Explore is a good place to be

Cons

Very demanding and stressful, poorly paid.

Explore Learning2019-08-12

"Job not as advertised"

Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Explore Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with children everyday, building strong bonds with the other managers, regular feedback means you develop skills quickly

Cons

Working hours (even though you are told about this in advance, I still think there should be some compromise/different structure), worklife balance (mainly due to working hours), job isn’t really what it was advertised to be - on starting I thought it would be more education focused when really you are essentially a sales person. The fact that all monthly targets for managers focus on sales and none focus on... progress of the children demonstrates this. The role is so varied which is positive, but it also means that you are constantly trying to manage so many different things that you can’t really provide the attention needed to them. There is a lot of work expected for a team of 3 managers. Also, the ADs do most of the work and the CD just takes credit/puts blame on them when things aren’t going to plan.

Advice to Management

Look at alternative working hours for managers! They are put under so much pressure with huge workloads and whilst I was there this really impacted me.

Explore Learning2019-07-05
  7. "Explore Learning Centre Manager"

Current Employee - Education Manager

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time

Pros

High responsibility from start Rewards and bonuses Very rewarding role working with children and developing others Diverse range of skills learnt

Cons

Hours Long-term career progression for centre managers

Explore Learning2019-06-19
  8. "Okay"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Explore Learning

Pros

Fun job if you like working with children. Flexible hours.

Cons

Not well paid considering it’s hard work.

Explore Learning2019-03-22
  9. "Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Tutor/Session Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve been a tutor for nearly 4 years and a session supervisor for over a year and a half. You really do grow to bond with your children because Explore is such a positive learning environment. This is a unique feature of it. Building rapport with children gives someone who enjoys working with children genuine joy. You learn about the business, sales and retention.

Cons

There is a very large turnover with the managers. This can be hard because what you learn and techniques you adopt from one manager who then leaves completely changes everything as new managers want everything run differently. Pay is pretty rubbish but you do get a pay review once a year - the better tutor you are the more it increases. Session Supervisor- you only get 50p more than what you would normally earn.... Pretty silly because you are asked to emcompass the manager role - e.g/ book and HOLD trials which can lead to sign ups and new members but no record of this achievement and no reflection in pay. Trainings can become repetitive when you have been there for over 2 years. When you first start, without proper training, you will fall behind. I cannot stress the importance of having great management.

Advice to Management

Remember the tutors are important. We are directly involved with the children’s progress through our active tutoring. The training that managers give to tutors needs to be more relevant. Show the research to emphasise how we can best teach children. Session supervisor pay needs work - 50p more than usual wage is ridiculous for the added responsibility.

Explore Learning2019-03-21
  10. "Tutor"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Able to prepare and deliver additional content classes which can be fun. Gain valuable experience working with children. Opportunity to progress on to Assistant Director role.

Cons

Low wage. No fixed shifts - shifts are allocated based on your availability. Poor quality induction training. Poor communication from managers led to confusion and errors.

Advice to Management

Offer better incentives and training and development to new employees.

Explore Learning2019-03-11