KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Explore Schools Reviews

Updated May 17, 2021

Found 85 of over 85 reviews

3.6
Explore Schools Executive Director and Superintendent  Carrie Mauer and Christina Froeb  (no image)
Carrie Mauer and Christina Froeb
Pros
  • "Staff members (instructional and otherwise) care deeply for the students and their families and work hard to get results(in 5 reviews)

• "Students and families are wonderful(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours with little support or guidance from leaders(in 11 reviews)

• "Teachers have far from enough prep time to do everything that is required(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Consistent Pay Scale

Mar 20, 2021 - Upper School English Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Straightforward pay scale Opportunities for Growth

Cons

Support and adult culture is dependent on specific school Curriculum can at times feel limited by state test needs

2. 5.0

I love working here!

Feb 22, 2021 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

I don't mean to be corny, but I really love working here. I've been meaning to write a review for a while and I think some of these negative reviews must come from people who haven't worked anywhere else because it is truly a great place to be a teacher. They really care about you and try to be flexible. We bend over backwards to support families and students which is so great. They are trying to be really inclusive and it's the real thing, people! Not like a lot of other places that just try to do the bare minimum. I get to work with great people and of course I love my students!

Cons

I don't love some of the programs we use. I wish we could write our own stuff.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Network to Work For!

Mar 4, 2021 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is very good place to start your teaching career. My principal and school leadership team are in it for the right reasons and I've learned so much. They are really committed to helping you get better and we make sure that students are the most important thing which is why we are all here. This network is really small and personal. the superintendent not only knows my name but has reached out to me to see how I am doing and what I think about things. I don't think you find that everywhere. My colleagues have become my friends which makes the job fun. I highly recommend this school as a place to work!

Cons

I wish we taught less periods each day so we had more time for planning and for grading.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome place to work!

Feb 9, 2021 - Director in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is seriously an amazing place to work! Explore Schools is truly committed to supporting students, teachers, and staff. Explore is an anti-racist organization committed to rooting out white supremacy culture- this commitment carries through in all decisions from curriculum to discipline practices, to creating space for students and staff to have conversations about race and identity. Explore Schools has created a community that is supportive, inclusive, and really here for their kids!!! I love it here.

Cons

We should do a better job of talking about how amazing it is to work here! I think our external facing materials don't do that always.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to grow as someone who is interested in climbing the ladder.

Mar 4, 2021 - Director of Operations in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Responsive to feedback from employees with a lot of opportunities for input at all job levels.

Cons

Usual cons of working with small charter network. Funding and community partnerships aren't as great as larger networks but they lead with the head as well as the heart.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fake

May 17, 2021 - Director in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

If they like you performance isn’t important, and if they don’t like you performance isn’t important

Cons

Same Top down everything screams mistrust

7. 3.0

Needs improvement

May 4, 2021 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are good Staff members become good friends Inclusive environment

Cons

Employees always quit midyear Network is unorganized Lots of last minute tasks All schools are in same district

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

HSPC

May 5, 2021 - High School Placement Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to build a lot of great connections with families and students. Network is open to new ideas and programs to support students.

Cons

Surface level DEI/anti racist work.

9. 5.0

Very Grateful!

Dec 15, 2020 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Throughout my career, I've worked at a handful of NYC charter schools. Of course, each come with ups and downs. More and more, I'm so grateful for my position at Explore network. We have a strong network leadership with a refreshingly clear vision on how to serve the students. Our anti-racism initiatives are indeed progressive and proactive—in a way I’ve never encountered before. Also, I'm happy to say that amid the turmoil of COVID-19, our leaders made strong and quick decisions.

Cons

Sometimes expectations (and corresponding workloads) for us teachers seem way too high. This can get stressful. But I do think the leadership is good at reminding us why the bar is set so high.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Reflective, collaborative community

Feb 2, 2021 - Network Staff in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Reflective staff at all levels of the organization, commitment to continued improvement, earnest commitment to disrupting white supremacy in our org, responsive to staff feedback

Cons

We have a lot of initiatives going simultaneously, sometimes it's tough to manage

Viewing 1 - 10 of 85 Reviews