Explore Schools "students and families" Reviews | Glassdoor

Explore Schools Employee Reviews about "students and families"

Updated Oct 16, 2019

2.9
Explore Schools Executive Director and Superintendent  Carrie Mauer and Christina Froeb  (no image)
Carrie Mauer and Christina Froeb
Pros
  • "Students and families are wonderful(in 4 reviews)

• "Staff members (instructional and otherwise) care deeply for the students and their families and work hard to get results(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours with little support or guidance from leaders(in 10 reviews)

• "Teachers have far from enough prep time to do everything that is required(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "students and families"

Return to all Reviews

"Network Director"

I have been working at Explore Schools for more than 3 years

Pros

As someone who has worked in a variety of school settings, Explore Schools is a unique community where all people are valued from staff to students and families. This, combined with the small size of the network and a one-size-doesn't-fit-all mentality, allows schools to be creative in the way that they meet the needs of students and teachers. At the network level, we are able to work together, respond to feedback, and problem solve quickly while making sure that all constituents are able to provide input..

Cons

The network does have less money than larger Charter Management Organizations which can result in fewer resources and lower salaries. However, we are working to manage funds in a way that addresses this problem.

Explore Schools2015-04-09
  2. "Teacher"

I worked at Explore Schools

Pros

Students and families make the hard work worthwhile

Cons

High retention impedes progress Ill-equipped leaders Long hours

Explore Schools2019-10-16
  3. "Teacher"

I have been working at Explore Schools full-time

Pros

- Pay is excellent - Benefits are good - Students and families are wonderful - Fellow teachers are helpful

Cons

- You will be micromanaged on every level - No room for creativity in lessons - Unrealistic expectations - High turn over and burn out rate

Explore Schools2018-12-27

Explore Schools Response

March 9, 2019Superintendent

Thank you for sharing this feedback. I am sorry to hear that your experience has not been overall a positive one. I encourage you to share feedback with your school based or network leaders about not having autonomy over your work- we aim to strike a balance between implementing research-based curricular resources and building in time for teachers to adjust for the needs of their students, as well as bring their own creativity to the classroom. While we have a lot of work to do, our teacher retention rates have increased steadily over the last few years which speaks to the improvements we have been making and will continue to make based on data and feedback.

Continue reading

"Don't believe all these "positive" recent reviews, The school is toxic!"

Current Employee - Current Teacher

I have been working at Explore Schools full-time

Pros

- wonderful teachers, positive culture between teachers - operations team is very helpful and they work really hard - wonderful students and families

Cons

- disconnected academic team, shows little interest in supporting teachers, they love to talk, but don't back up their words or actions - no principal, academic team doesn't get support and management they need - little prep time with team meetings happening during preps - the culture team is trying, but lack of support from academic directors makes the job of holding students to high standards difficult - network seems misguided, out of touch with what the school really needs. Doesn't listen to any ideas from staff, it's their way or the highway type mentality. - I've heard people are fearful to speak up because they are in fear of repercussions from superiors - I could go on and on

Explore Schools2015-05-13

Explore Schools Response

July 8, 2015Director of Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We hope that you were able to relay your concerns to school and network leadership as we're always trying to improve. Teacher prep time is of the utmost importance and we have well over an hour each day devoted to planning time. We also have principals in place at each of our schools, all of whom have several years of teaching and leadership experience.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 4 reviews