Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 13 reviews

2.4

"Exploer one X"

I have been working at Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services

Pros

None very bad owner conduct.

Cons

I worked here when he first opened this place as an ex fire chief, which he still wants to be called. He did me very bad and told me to change my hair color to black, when I showed up light brown. Many many more bad experiences, and every thing written by everyone else is very true.

Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services2018-08-23
  2. "EMT-B Full Time"

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highest pay for EMT-B in LA, family environment, cool coworkers, boxing events, charity events for underserved communities during holidays

Cons

Work a lot of hours, on call frequently for calls, urban patients

Advice to Management

more locations

Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services2018-08-02
  3. "EmT"

I worked at Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services part-time

Pros

helping others daily. Great Patients

Cons

hours and shifts you receive

Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services2017-05-12

"Explorer 1 Ambulance Company, Not worth it.."

Former Employee - EMT in Compton, CA

I worked at Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services part-time

Pros

Easy to get hired, no skills needs, no exam will be graded, no experience needed probably no background check, if you have a felony your probably safe.

Cons

Unfortunately this man and his girlfriend will waste the time of many people, and I do feel like I owe it to other EMTs to warn them about this company if they are new or experienced EMT's looking for experience and pay. I don't say any of this to insult the Owner or his girlfriend/receptionist but overall I think my experience was poor to say the least. Odds are if you live in Compton you probably have bigger... problems, so might as well apply.. If your looking for short term experience might as well apply.. Long term future of what hes trying to sell you as an EMT, carefully think about it and realize nothing comes without cost, and with the history of this company it may cost more than you think. Owner operator paramedic chief is poor in BLS skills, from my point of view, he may say the same of his employees but refused to discuss pay till end of hiring process after he assumed we all would work without question on his schedule. He makes everything seem like a test or challenge, but in reality he wants you to do things his way without thinking, and has the catch phrase, "Now do you better understand where I'm coming from.." He'll tell you everything is based on performance, and that determines pay, but even if you have experience or speak another language you all start at $13.00. Which again, not bad if you live in or near Compton. They advertise 24 hr shifts but have none in progress. And even if they did have 24 hr shifts (which they don't) you may receive pay for ONLY 13 HOURS OUT OF YOUR 24 HOUR SHIFT. Please fact check this. Call and ask, don't take my word for it. That is lowest I've ever heard of... Station has no central A.C. so he leaves the doors open and tells you its to distract you and see if you can focus. He has an excuse for everything. Only after giving all your certs, resume, and 2 orientation/training days does he offer employment for $13.00. E.M.S. is not about the money, its about serving others and providing the best possible care for patients, however working for someone like this makes me question the integrity of this company. Apply at your own risk, and if you can stomach it, I hope you enjoy a long and meaningful career in E.M.S. Best of Luck

Advice to Management

Let people know rate of pay prior to hire, especially if they speak repeatedly ask, have experience or speak another language, also don't ask EMT's to recommend your company beforeg

Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services2016-05-31
  5. "THE WORST COMPANY OUT THERE"

Former Employee - EMT

I worked at Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

NO PROS AT ALL FOR THIS "COMPANY"

Cons

DO NOT BELIEVE ANY OF THE POSITIVE REVIEWS. They are all written by the owner himself. Him and his sham of a company are being sued by former employees and patients. This is the absolute worst company I've ever worked for. Even the worst EMS companies are better than this one. He cheats employees out of there pay, threatens them and even has you running illegal calls while billing Medicare.

Advice to Management

Pay your former employees the money you cheated them out of.

Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services2016-05-26
  6. "I Reccomend Explorer - 1"

EMT in Compton, CA

I have been working at Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services

Pros

Great pay with a good work environment. Station is nice with full kitchen and sleeping quarters. Internet access to study with cable T.V. new ambulances with all the equipment. I remember at one of my last companies I had to leave the ambulance running or it wont start not here. What more can I say it is good.

Cons

I really do not have any cons. I wish there was a station closer to my house.

Advice to Management

Open more stations.

Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services2016-04-08
  7. "Awsome Place to Work & Received Alot of Experience"

EMT in Compton, CA

I worked at Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services

Pros

Get a lot of 911 experience and mentorship. Had an opportunity to help in the community, I learned a lot from the owner who Is a retired firefighter paramedic. He tells you up front what to expect and what he expect of you and I feel it only made me better as a EMT and a future firefighter. The environment is different and in my opinion if you are not lazy and want to learn you will gain a lot and that is no offense... to no one I am just talking about my experience which was great and different from most of the companies I have seen, the equipment is top of the line and well maintained and the station is nice. Yes I had to clean my ambulance and the station and I did not have a problem with that.

Cons

None. I Love the Program and Learned a lot as an employee.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work guiding careers and helping in the community. I am thankful for the opportunity to work at Explorer - 1 which is truly a training and mentoring program that kept my skill right

Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services2016-03-31

"DO NOT WORK HERE! THIS COMPANY IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE TO EMS"

Current Employee - EMT in Compton, CA

I have been working at Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services full-time

Pros

Co-Workers are cool. THERE ARE NO PROS FOR THIS COMPANY

Cons

EVERYTHING!!!! 1) Checks are always short... ALL the overtime that the owner claims available is true, but you don't get paid for 3/4 of your overtime. 2) Owner will down talk you, He has even threatened pass employees and once got into a physical altercation. (might have happened multiple times) 3)( you will be held over time against your will, then like i stated before, you wont get paid for your overtime. this... company will take your life away with no rewards. Im talking about you wont see your family if you work here. 4) the 911 with Compton is false as well, the Compton fire department will contact explorer-1 for VERY BLS calls such as drunks on the the corner, so that Compton fire department will not loose resources for non emergency 911 calls. (The Compton Firefighters will even make comments to you as an employee such as, "WHY DO YOU WORK FOR THE GUY HES NOT A GOOD PERSON" (Not as politely). !!!!!!!!! ITS FUNNY BECAUSE THE TWO REVIEWS THAT ARE GOOD ABOUT THE COMPANY IS written by the "DISPATCHER" which is a position held by the owner. TRUST ME ITS THE OWNER!!!!!!!! COME ON "CHIEF" WE KNOW ITS YOU!! the owner wants you to call him "CHIEF" its an absolute joke. don't work here if you care about yourself.

Advice to Management

stop lying, stop picking up patients 3 hours late. stop stealing from your employees, stop it all! just stop. and change the name and location of your company, no one wants to work for explorer-1, it already has a reputation you cant bounce back from. your emt's are a laughing stock for other emts that know about explorer-1

Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services2015-07-28
  9. "Dispatcher/Emt"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Compton, CA

Pros

Great back up Fire calls for the city of Compton, these make great experiences that make you want to do more and learn more. IFT calls are basic just like any other company. Lots of OT available and you work with great NEW equipment.

Cons

Overtime is a lot on the Emt's but well worth it for the experience. If you are trying to be a medic a dispatcher or anything of the sort this would be a good place to start...

Advice to Management

Yes invest in a time clock so employees don't feel they are getting cheated on pay. Yes you trust your employees with there own times but its the since of safety and security.

Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services2015-04-17

"By fare to worst company I ever worked for in by life. 100% because of the owner's personality and how thinks a company"

EMT/Dispatcher/Trainer

I worked at Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services

Pros

911calls, His wife is really nice and communicable,

Cons

If you work here know the California labor laws cuz he does not follow most of them. There is No training EMTs teach each other. Owner is the manager, the HR, the payroll person, the supervisor. He is very spiteful, and manipulative. Refuses to invest in a time clock. He doesn't want u to leave without Being cleared to go, however he will not tell u to leave but then tell u that u been off te clock. Constantly... makes excuses when he snaps at employees. He is 100% a liar when it comes to dealing with customers. I have seen it first hand. If you are a new employee and need experiance DO NOT work here. I have worked as an EMT for years and this was by fare the worst company I have ever worked for. He claims his high turn over rate is because the EMTs were lazy. ... NOT TRUE! Pay checks are always wrong one way or another. Doesn't pay daily ot only after 40hrs, but when u get your ot he will screw it up, and complain that u r upset about a "few funky dollars " then when u get it he pays u strait pay as apprised to the time and a half pay. And yes. Of this can and will be followed by a 1-3hr lecture of how u should be grateful... fyi u may or may not be getting paid for that time he is keeping u. GOOD LUCK

Advice to Management

Be receptive TAKE OWNER OUT OF THE PICTURE.... ALLOW YOUR WIFE TO BE HR, SHE IS LIKABLE AND appears neutral. Set a chain of commanded; supervisors, managers, HR, VP, then president/Owner. No one goes to you for their solutions. Train everyone before they set out on their job. GET A REAL TIME CLOCK AND A PRE MADE EMPLOYEE SCHEDULE. (List for partners, rig #) Someone should already be their with access to... equipment for restock. Take responsibility for your actions add stop blaming everyone else. No more excuses You can not take out for lunch when u don't clear your employees for it. You can not add up downtime to equal a 1hr lunch. .. ITS ILLEGAL!!!

Explorer -1 Ambulance & Medical Services2015-02-18