Explorica Reviews | Glassdoor

Explorica Reviews

Updated Jan 3, 2020

3.7
Explorica CEO  Matt Wertz (no image)
Matt Wertz
Pros
  • "Travel opportunities, approachable management team, great colleagues(in 9 reviews)

• "Some staff and coworkers are great people, and make great coworkers(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Director of Sales

I have been working at Explorica full-time

Pros

Lots of PTO (21 days+) Opportunity to work from home in the future Free travel opportunities Well reviewed product (most clients rate tours good to excellent)

Cons

Can take a few years to build a solid client base Commission plans can be confusing

Advice to Management

Develop more growth opportunities & create more easy to understand commission plans

Explorica2020-01-04
  2. "Pretty good!"

Former Employee - International Program Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Explorica full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun workplace, decent sales commission, nice coworkers

Cons

The merger with Worldstrides complicates things and adds pressure to the sales people. Also the cold calling expectations are RIDICULOUS. If you aren't comfortable cold calling then don't work in sales here

Explorica2019-11-10
  3. "Industry does not pay well"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Explorica full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and travel perks

Cons

Low salary for travel consultant

Explorica2019-09-12
  4. "Manger"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Explorica full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cons

Nothing is BadGood Team, Kind Senior Executives, Excellent CEO, Awesome HR, Extraordinary Workplace

Explorica2018-08-08
  5. "Growing company, selling a product that makes a difference"

Current Employee - International Program Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Explorica full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of perks - Great office location in downtown Boston, growing sales team, work from home potential, strongly encouraged to take advantage of PTO to travel during the summer months, casual office environment, open office space, company happy hours, strong team mentality, bi-annual staff tours and other frequent international & domestic travel opportunities, regular team and company outings, Roth 401k match, tuition reimbursement, etc

Cons

The not so great stuff - Expensive medical plans, very difficult goals for promotion into leadership roles

Advice to Management

Explorica is a great place to work, especially if you're early in your career, but as the team continues to grow and goals shrink, we need to reassess the goals for development into senior roles.

Explorica2018-08-05
  6. "Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - International Program Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Explorica full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great office environment Everyone is super friendly Selling a product that people want to do - TRAVEL Get to talking about traveling all day Flexible hours Great office perks!

Cons

Decent amount of calls but its sales Decent salary and work to your get your commission No other cons really

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Explorica2018-02-22

"Not a good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Explorica full-time

Pros

Some staff and coworkers are great people, and make great coworkers. Some fun perks, like staff tours. Selling travel is a great way to make a living, thus the work is meaningful. CEO is great.

Cons

Toxic work environment. Absurdly low pay, and management will keep you in a low position for a very long time. Hours are long and stressful for no reason. High turnover. Have seen people who have worked on the sales floor for a year, to be fired in front of their ex-coworkers. Little transparency from upper management. HR is interconnected with management, and thus does not look out for your best interests. As a salesperson, you are expected to act like a telemarketer, and not treated respectfully. If you want a career in travel sales, work at EF.

Advice to Management

Your staff do not trust you. Be more transparent and respectful to the people who work for you.

Explorica2018-03-06

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales & Office Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Explorica full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyday is fun to come into work. Everyone is fun, creative & loves to get to know each other. We have great events throughout the year to get to know each other & learn more about each others departments. The benefits are also great.

Cons

Only con is that the space on the Sales floor is a bit crowded. I work as the Office Coordinator, and there is only one of me, so I have my own space. But on the Sales floor, you are very close to your co-workers, which can be a pro or con.

Explorica2018-01-08
  9. "Sales"

I have been working at Explorica full-time

Pros

Love working here! Great location, culture and office environment. Not a stiff office, like some offices can be. Great place to work right out of school if there are any opportunities available.

Cons

Down time in sales - travel is very up and down with busy season. We are busier in the Fall and Spring, which is why we are probably allowed to take unpaid time off in the Summer.

Advice to Management

Communication. The company was acquired a few years ago by WorldStrides and we would like to see what is going on across the entire company.

Explorica2017-09-29
  10. "Great company and great colleagues!"

Current Employee - Client Experience Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Explorica full-time for more than a year

Pros

We have a great office environment that is very fun and casual. We get a lot of PTO, and get to travel on an Explorica tour once every other summer. The managers and team leads are very helpful in making sure you have the tools to reach your goals (as long as you are willing to put the work in!)

Cons

It takes some time before you start making commissions - but any employee should know that from day 1, it shouldn't come as a surprise. Things are also either extremely busy or extremely slow, with not much time in the middle.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it feels like the better we do in sales, the more we grow, and the more activities which are taken from us (fewer birthday celebrations, team lunches, Season kick-off events, etc.). Shouldn't you be rewarding the sales teams for good work rather than taking these things away?

Explorica2017-06-12