Express Scripts Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Account Manager

Express Scripts President & Chief Executive Officer Tim Wentworth
Tim Wentworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The ability to work from home when needed is a plus (in 183 reviews)

• Embracing agile has promoted work life balance (if you want that) or if you want to work more projects you can get involved with other teams (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is struggling to define a work-life balance (in 212 reviews)

• no work life balance despite company rhetoric to the contrary (in 78 reviews)

1. "Inside Sales Account Manager"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Outdated systems, no opportunity for growth

"Good Employer, Too Much Work"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work at home positions
    Did not micro-manage

Cons

Unreasonable amount of work for Account Management and continued to lay off

Advice to Management

More work life balance

3. "Decent place"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits although a little pricey
    Decent salary
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Can be in the dark on some things, especially lay-offs

"Senior Account Manger"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Schnecksville, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Schnecksville, PA

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you're accustomed to working in fast-paced environments where deadlines are a priority and handling multiple responsibilities simultaneously are the norm, then Express Scripts is the job for you. If you thrive on the challenge to meet and exceed goals and are able to hit the ground running with little supervision, Express Scripts is the job for you.

Cons

A career with Express Scripts is wonderful. The bar is set extremely high and takes a minimum of 2 years just to feel comfortable with your current role and responsibilities. The healthcare industry is so complex that there's so much that you need to know and absorb.

"Do your research"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, new buildings, decent pay if coming from outside the company (internal increases are very low), benefits, many opportunities for advancement and work from home opportunities.

Cons

High turnover across all management level, the company has no consistency, no work life balance and no employee loyalty. Company uses being an at will employer as a crutch for mass lay offs and unfair treatment.

Advice to Management

Follow through on commitments made, listen to employees and practice what you preach regarding values.

"No work/life balance. Period."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job perks. Work from home option.

Cons

Limited time with family and friends. Often working on projects over the weekend and late at night. Not rare to often receive or send emails at 3:00am. Demeaning clients and overall lack of morale. Never really feel you're paid commensurate to what you really do. No support or training - figure it out as you go along.

7. "Excellent to Work For"

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time

Pros

I have held two different positions at Express Scripts, both of which have been challenging, but rewarding. The general mission of express scripts is to improve the health outcomes of our patients by making medication accessible and affordable. In both of my roles here, I have felt directly connected to that mission, and in many cases, that I specifically helped make a difference. Working for ESI is a fast-paced environment - expectations are set high, and are rewarded when achieved. This is definitely not a place to come work and slack off, as we handle sensitive situations involving healthcare and drugs.

Express Scripts is committed to hard work that produces good results, integrity and diversity. I have always felt that the door is open to senior management if I have a concern with a particular process or situation. Our benefits packages are great, and as an openly gay employee (which the company is very cool with), they offer the full range of benefits to my partner as well.

I strongly feel that the company offers room for growth and advancement, and for those employees that work hard and excel at what they do, management is apt to help them advance and become leaders.

Cons

We do work hard, and long hours. The company is committed to eliminating fraud, waste and abuse, which extends to it's own workforce. Sometimes work environments can be stressful, as the problems we solve are complex and often require a quick solution. My biggest con is that employee performance is rated on a bell curve, which sometimes pits team members to work in direct competition with each other to receive a good review.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow, please make every attempt to recruit and fill open positions to help alleviate the long hours that we sometimes have to pull. I applaud how management has listened to the concerns and recommendations of employees and I'm excited to see the direction that we continue to lead in. I do hope that we can look at the bell-curve evaluation model and reward hard work when merited, rather than rank who did the best in any given order

Express Scripts Response

Jan 26, 2016

Thank you for your feedback! It’s great to know you find Express Scripts a rewarding place to work. Your candid feedback about the pace of our company and work environment is appreciated. While... More

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, good potential for promotion

Cons

A lot of hours sometimes, but that comes with the role

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The 401K match plan and low cost of medical benefit plans available to employees. There are some great people who work for this company. Unfortunately, none of them are in leadership positions to make the impact this company needs to remain relevant among the competition.

Cons

No work life Balance
    Poor direction from leadership
    Employee attrition due to unbalanced workloads and responsibilities between departments
    No accountability from internal teams
    Deplorable work culture with little to no recognition and leadership by management at any level

Advice to Management

This company needs a massive overhaul of middle and upper management. At the rate the company continues to lose its valued employees who have years of experience and have continually performed at a high level with no advancement or recognition, all those who remain will be the cheerleaders by EOY 2016. Stop promoting those who agree with everything while passing their work off to others and show respect for those who have proven to be valued contributors. Also consolidate the internal teams into unified chains of command. The existing systems, process flows and internal communications pathways are the companies largest barrier toward future success and retaining clients while obtaining new ones. Lastly, lose the employee surveys. It's evident that no changes other than layoffs result from these surveys which further emphasizes the lack of faith in the organization and management's ability to lead by example.

"Senior Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Compensation. Good employees. Decent benefits.

Cons

Disconnect between leadership and the employees. Duplication of effort, lack of collaboration. No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Listen.