Express Scripts Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

Express Scripts President & Chief Executive Officer Tim Wentworth
Tim Wentworth
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance/ Work From Home ability (in 184 reviews)

• Embracing agile has promoted work life balance (if you want that) or if you want to work more projects you can get involved with other teams (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is struggling to define a work-life balance (in 213 reviews)

• no work life balance despite company rhetoric to the contrary (in 78 reviews)

"Treat employees poorly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irwin, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irwin, PA

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

best reasons to work there - other than the friendships you develop, there really were not any!

Cons

Senior Management is completely out of touch; many have Engineering background and cannot relate at all to pharmacy. Employee managers are a joke, most uneducated and unprofessional, and they expect employees to respect them. Treat employees like dogs, no talking, no socializing without being written up. Employee managers play favorites.

Advice to Management

Hire back experienced professionals which ran the show working for Medco.

"Worst Ever!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free parking and full cafeteria in the building.

Cons

Everything else. From benefits to compensation to communication, it is the worst.

Advice to Management

You need to compensate your employees better. This workload is outrageous and each quarter the goal is bigger and bigger. Your bonus structure, training, compensation, benefits, communication, attitude towards anyone not in upper management - it all needs to change. The room for advancement in certain branches is minimal at best. And having a supervisor located in one state and a manager located in another means that there is never anyone in the office for you when issues arise. And they always do. This company is a joke. They don't care about their employees. They don't care about their patients. All they're ever concerned with is the Almighty Dollar. And they're definitely not interested in sharing any of it.

3. "Pharmacy Tech"

I worked at Express Scripts as a contractor

Pros

Potential for overtime if so desired.

Cons

Revolving door atmosphere. Temp to hire, but temps are let go at the end of the contract, and not hired on.

Advice to Management

Hire on good temps to avoid high turnover.

4. "This is a horrible company, loyalty means absolutely nothing to this company, you're nothing but a statistic!!!"

Former Contractor - Pharmacy Technician in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Express Scripts as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to work over time, weekends off, and some of my co workers are awesome.

Cons

Everything sucks about this place...don't do it!!! They think your life should revolve around their company!!! They claim their patients and employees are so important um no money in their pockets is priority!!!

Advice to Management

👎👎👎help out your staff

"Patient Care Advocate II"

Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate II in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate II in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great organization, wonderful leadership and training. Pharmacists were excellent in handling urgent needs of callers. Benefits began after 30 days and were industry standard. PTO system was great, you were able to select hours and were able to see what was available, without checking with a supervisor.

Cons

Did not like the hours. I worked the later shift & the other departments - billing/ insurance were not open for business. I was not able to immediately provide an answer or transfer the patient to that department.

Advice to Management

If the Patient Care Advocates who are the frontline of calls, needs etc, please have a representative available for billing and insurance questions after 5pm EST.

"Wasn't the same after Medco acquisition"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work environment allows for continued growth. Never a dull moment in a rapidly changing industry.

Cons

Constant layoffs created frustration. Many areas were overworked. In a client facing role you are put in an awkward position of always having to apologize for company shortcomings.

"clinical pharmacist"

Former Employee - Pharmacist in North Huntingdon, PA
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in North Huntingdon, PA

Pros

The employees there are some of the nicest around - and the Union helps to keep you safe

Cons

The management only worries about numbers and not the safety of the patients as much as they should. This causes a delay in getting some clients their medication in time.

Advice to Management

Treat the employee right and you will get more work out of them

"Express Scripts - Eventually, they'll just hire robots"

Former Employee - Data Entry in North Versailles, PA
    Former Employee - Data Entry in North Versailles, PA

I worked at Express Scripts (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, consistent hours, time off was flexible. Trainers were nice. Lots of VTO if you wanted to take it without any penalty (other than no pay).

Cons

Very sterile environment, you're a number not a person. Daily huddles talked down to staff, made us feel stupid and inadequate. Always a threat that today could be your last day for who knows what reason. Work load is ridiculous, some queues you are expected to do 2-3 orders per minute and you are not allowed to make a single error. Of approx. 40 new hires, less than 10 made it through probation and were hired on as full time staff. I passed probation but quit shortly after due to the high stress environment. Workload was slowly being switched over to an automated process, anyways, so there didn't seem to be a lot of job security.

Advice to Management

Remember workers are people and not robots. Perhaps consider talking about the good things every so often instead of always focusing on why your staff isn't good enough for you.

"Management is clueless"

Current Employee - Senior Biling & Reimbursement Specialist in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Biling & Reimbursement Specialist in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good PTO time.

Cons

Company hires people because they have a degree, not because of knowledge of company and products. Will not promote within the company, company is all about cultural diversity which is good, but they take it to extremes.

Advice to Management

Promote people who know the products and the processes. Quit only promoting people who are kiss ups or in thick with management.

"Unrealistic Expectations"

Current Employee - Billing/Reimbursement in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Billing/Reimbursement in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work from home, I get paid and I have benefits. The time off accumulation is probably second best to working at home. If I was in the office I would have quit a long time ago. The first 4 yrs you get 160 hours each year of Paid Time Off and it rolls over. Probably the best part of the job.

Cons

You have to be a rock star with no life (meaning working the voluntary OT) or be the bosses favorite. Even then you aren't exempt from getting scolded. The company as a whole isn't awful but its not great. In the four years I've worked at ESI (first Accredo then Medco, now ESI) I have had 4 different supervisors because they are always changing what the think isn't working. Always moving people or coming up with new ways to "help" you collect on claims. Every company has policies in place, steps they have to follow but at ESI we are supposed to demand the insurance companies to do what we say and if we can't, we have to get our supervisor to do it for us. Its all about meeting that cash goal, that as said in other comments, is always higher and is never attainable. If we don't meet the cash goal set by upper management then we are in this hand holding match where they ask over and over "what can we do to help" but if you say anything you are passive aggressively attacked. Or condescendingly told how you are wrong. I have never felt so incompetent in any position ever. Even if you do well its "that's great but why aren't you doing it all the time". Its never enough and there's too many cooks in the kitchen trying to help or fix the issues.

Outside of that the business process we have to follow change so often always trying to make it better or easier but really don't change it if it works. We just learn it and get used to it then it changes. Then we get reprimanded for not following the new process or policies. And you better believe that's going on your annual review. I like this motto: keep it simple stupid. This company needs to follow this more. It makes our job harder and more time consuming to have to continuously look for the newest way to do what we need to do to get a simple task done. Changing something in the system that's wrong could take months!
    I work on a specific group of insurance carriers and those patients under that insurance for any/all drugs that are sent out. Would you believe we, as in the collections department just found out we don't have contracts with not one but two insurance companies and we NEVER did! and we have been servicing patients for YEARS under these carriers. Are you kidding me?!? Now I have to tell patients they have to get theirs scripts somewhere else because we don't have a contract with those carriers so they aren't obligated to pay us. Uhm... And I'm the incompetent one? how did we not know this sooner. It happens all the time with errors that go on for years that one day someone says holy crap how are you still in business with stuff like this. I wouldn't get my scripts there but I have to or I have to pay full price elsewhere. Don't work here and don't use their service it's awful. I spend most of my days fixing mistakes we as a company made and trying to get money for it. Pure Greed should be their motto.

Advice to Management

The resolution: stop badgering. Hounding us daily drives down morale which drives down quality and quantity of productivity. Stop having meetings every week to say we aren't doing it right, and how you help us do our job better. And I'm talking team meetings... with people on my team who have been with this company for 10+ years! Who will text each other saying how absurd the meeting is and how ridiculous their demands are, saying if we are that bad fire us all. We are that backed into a corner, we are literally waiting to be fired. Part of us hopes it happens. Obviously we won't quit, we have too many years invested to walk away from the pay level we finally got to and time off saved. They are literally talking to us as if we just learned how to play baseball but we aren't performing like Babe Ruth. We are Babe Ruth's just let us get back to the basics stop with the reports and meetings. I understand product out means money in and if that doesn't happen it hurts the bottom line but let's get back to the basics of our job, stop trying to fix it and let us work. I'm so stressed nearly every day because we aren't meeting their expectations. I take pride in what I do, but they won't let me do what I do because they keep stopping us to remind us how we are failing. And I don't mean me, its all of collections at ESI that has to deal with this. Some supervisors are better at delivering this "your incompetent" message where others like the one I have, make your life living hell because no matter what you do its never good enough.

Showing 16 of 2,230 reviews