Express Scripts Reviews | Glassdoor

Tim Wentworth

1,285 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The company is struggling to define a work-life balance (in 224 reviews)

• no work life balance despite company rhetoric to the contrary (in 82 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company where technology is a competitive advantage"

Current Employee - IT Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined the technology organization 2 months ago, here are my observations thus far:
    + empowered employees at all levels who are encouraged to challenge the status quo
    + helping clients and patients are truly the focus of the company... a VERY noble mission
    + Alignment at the highest c-suite levels that technology and data is a major competitive advantage
    + little bureaucracy and an org structure that feels flat and like a community. Every employee gets to hear and ask questions to the CIO every other week. No ivory towers.
    + a technologists dream: agile, CI/CD, TDD, cloud (PCF), big data/analytics, mobile and watch apps, hack-a-thons, collaborative workspaces. This is the journey the organization is on.
    + great culture: supporting charities and community service is important; fun at work with ping pong tables, adult coloring murals, March Madness viewing party. Casual dress code is also nice.

Cons

- I've been here two months and can find very little cons. The company has gone through a major cultural transformation over the last 2 years with new C-suite leadership. I did read through the glass door reviews before I accepted my position and I can say that most of the reviews are based on the old culture. I am very glad I joined the Express Scripts team.

Advice to Management

Keep the unwavering focus on the patients and clients. Internally: keep the focus on the employees and their empowerment to make a difference.

2. "Long Term Employee"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Express Scripts (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, cross training, day and evening shifts, promotion opportunities

Cons

Need to ensure enough volume to maintain 40 hr work week, also allow more work from home opportunities for leads

Advice to Management

No favoritism

3. "Do NOT work here"

Current Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some TL's like mine are wonderful. They usually work with your schedule.

Cons

Very low pay, no raises, no opportunities to grow with in the company. Again very low pay.

4. "PCA entry level"

Current Employee - Pca in Saint Marys, GA
    Current Employee - Pca in Saint Marys, GA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

**The company has awesome health care benefits that they offer you from the start of your employment. They even take an entire day of your training to review the many options that they have in regards to health care.

**They have implemented a new bonus program that awards PCA's a monetary bonus that they can earn every two weeks based in their post-call survey scores and also completing alerts on a members accounts (which are worth $.15 per point and rack up fast!)

** You earn paid time off on every single check, and you can schedule paid days off based on your balance. Holiday pay$$$

**Opportunities for growth and development. You receive frequent coachings that help to guide you in becoming more efficient in your calls. Many people are able to move up within the first 6 months.

**Future PCAs - when I was researching this company prior to accepting the job offer I wish someone had gave me honest insight on how stressful it really was. This job is SO stressful. I literally dread coming in every day, but on the first call that I can resolve, that dread starts to dissolve. This job can be VERY rewarding, especially when you are able to resolve a patient's issues and they tell you that you are doing a good job.

BUT if you are looking to just collect a paycheck without having to apply yourself, I promise you that this job is not for you.

Cons

**This job is not for everyone! I went home on my first day and bawled my eyes out because it was so stressful and I felt like I would never be able to become efficient on the phones and navigating the accounts. (I DID EVENTUALLY CATCH ON THOUGH!) If you are the type of person that will crack under pressure, this will not be a good job for your mental or physical health! People can get very upset (understandably) because we are handling their prescriptions and sometimes there are delays with them receiving them which can be life threatening!

**Frequent changes in operating procedure. If you dislike change, this will not be a good fit for you.

"Very excited to have joined"

Current Employee - Director of Technology in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director of Technology in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Technology organization is going through a reset and a change in mindset from constant acquisitions to improving technology and productivity. Having come from a large global company that was ranked in the top 5 place to work in the US I was a little skeptical of the transformation talk during my interviews. I made the move as I have faith in the the Sr leadership team making long term investments and understanding user and employee experience and how that effects productivity and happiness. A lot of people can make a great impact here and feel empowered to help change happen and continue to help the company grow.

Cons

I haven't found any major con, there is a lot of improvement opportunities that is going through the motions of employee empowerment and various individuals seeing something and knowing that it can be done better.

Advice to Management

Continued push to remove red tape and outdated processes and procedures. Encouraged with the conversions of long term contractors to FTEs, need to look for more options for bringing in talent.

6. "Fast Paced Environment"

Current Contractor - Program Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Current Contractor - Program Manager in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Express Scripts as a contractor

Pros

High-functioning teams with ability to make quick decisions. Plenty of hours for a contractor.

Cons

High turn-over of consultants due to number of hours required to meet project deadlines.

7. "A good organization to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Joined about 2 and half months ago, Express Scripts is very good organization to work for. Great managers who are very supportive and coach individuals. Peers and colleagues are fun, helpful and caring.

Cons

Nothing seen at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Not a bad job if you can tolerate the lack of proper management."

Current Employee - General Warehouse Associate in Whitestown, IN
    Current Employee - General Warehouse Associate in Whitestown, IN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time

Pros

Great benefits! Excellent job opportunities. Great hours with minimal overtime. Overtime is typically voluntary. 6 paid holidays per year on top of paid time off!

Cons

Lack of communication between shifts. Little or no room to grow with the company. ESI tends to prefer hiring from outside rather than promoting from within. Little to no accountability.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their work load. Promote from within! If an internal application comes up, interview the individual before determining if that person is or isn't the right fit. If someone isn't a right fit, don't just leave it at that. Explain what that individual needs to work on to achieve their goals. They wouldn't be applying if they did not want to continue growing with the company so help those individuals grow. Set up a real training program with certified trainers in each area to make new hires feel more welcome and make the job feel more structured. Set up a growth program for individuals who want to grow with the company so they can work on molding themselves towards what the company needs in proper leadership. Have leaders take regular leadership courses to continue their growth as well and prepare them for the next step in their career!

9. "Company Still Growing"

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and bonus plan opportunities. Can be flexible for work/life balance depending on your manager and job responsibilities.

Cons

Too many reorganizations. One day you're here and the next day you're there and team building is hard to develop. Not many opportunities for advancement if you've been at the company a while.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and promote within.

10. "Sales Director"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Improved integration and autonomy to get job done from virtual locations

Cons

Technology in field can be improved to help efficiencies and drive sales

Advice to Management

Transformation takes time but stick to patient and customer centric philosophy and it will serve everyone well

Showing 1,285 of 2,354 reviews