Express Scripts Reviews | Glassdoor

Express Scripts President & Chief Executive Officer Tim Wentworth
Tim Wentworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The company is struggling to define a work-life balance (in 222 reviews)

• no work life balance despite company rhetoric to the contrary (in 81 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company where technology is a competitive advantage"

Current Employee - IT Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined the technology organization 2 months ago, here are my observations thus far:
    + empowered employees at all levels who are encouraged to challenge the status quo
    + helping clients and patients are truly the focus of the company... a VERY noble mission
    + Alignment at the highest c-suite levels that technology and data is a major competitive advantage
    + little bureaucracy and an org structure that feels flat and like a community. Every employee gets to hear and ask questions to the CIO every other week. No ivory towers.
    + a technologists dream: agile, CI/CD, TDD, cloud (PCF), big data/analytics, mobile and watch apps, hack-a-thons, collaborative workspaces. This is the journey the organization is on.
    + great culture: supporting charities and community service is important; fun at work with ping pong tables, adult coloring murals, March Madness viewing party. Casual dress code is also nice.

Cons

- I've been here two months and can find very little cons. The company has gone through a major cultural transformation over the last 2 years with new C-suite leadership. I did read through the glass door reviews before I accepted my position and I can say that most of the reviews are based on the old culture. I am very glad I joined the Express Scripts team.

Advice to Management

Keep the unwavering focus on the patients and clients. Internally: keep the focus on the employees and their empowerment to make a difference.

2. "Scrum Master"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Our company is passionately engaged in transforming theculture into an employee-centric one that supplies cutting-edge, user-driven technology, all for a purpose- getting medication to people easier, faster, and cheaper.
    Also, there is a unique ability to move sideways here--you can change roles easier than I've seen anywhere else.

Cons

The transformation is ongoing, so some old ways remain in parts. However, the company is driving to empower employees to push for positive change when they discover this.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering employees to push for positive change!

3. "It Just Keeps Getting Better...."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits that's are always evolving and getting better. A focus on internal career advancement through mentoring, coaching and hands on learning opportunities. Strong recognition programs for high performers.

Cons

Some departments do have strict guidelines on required OT and working on weekends as needed.

Advice to Management

I've seen many changes in the past few years and overall they have been great. Please just continue to listen and learn from your staff as I do think we are moving in the right direction and making great changes where there is need.

4. "Loved working here"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Express Scripts as an intern

Pros

- Everyone was very supportive and respectful
    - Offered a collaborative work environment

Cons

- I don't have any

5. "Quality Analyst"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Memphis, TN

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work at home, Great Pay, Great Benefits, Amazing Boss!

Cons

Sometimes when the company loses a contract that results on becoming unemployed from the best job ever!

6. "Pharmacist"

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Trevose, PA
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Trevose, PA

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Express Scripts has a very effective software F14 that it inherited from Medco which aids pharmacists and technicians with accurate data entry, potential drug/drug, drug/allergies, drug/disease interactions, as well as streamline processing for highly accuracy and efficiency: Green, Yellow, or Red indicators. Express Scripts is all about numbers AND accuracy. I liked my job and enjoyed working for Express Scripts while I was there. The company culture was friendly, everybody was very supportive of one another.

Cons

Shrinking business and potential mass layoff.

Advice to Management

Merging with retail pharmacy enterprise is a must in order to be successful and competitive. It's a matter of company survival, guys.

"Software Engineering at Express Scripts"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working for Express Scripts for a couple of months as a software engineer and have noticed that:
    * Senior leadership frequently goes to great lengths to engage with rank and file employees to gather a pulse on the team, collect feedback, provide visibility into company initiatives, etc.
    * The Business and Technology functions appear to be willing to have realistic discussions on development timelines, technologies, risks, etc. for new products versus demanding a completion dates and issuing decrees.
    * Top level software leadership has made an institutional decision to utilize agile development/practices. Many teams and people are still trying to feel out their roles and responsibilities, but IMHO they're moving in the right direction and will be successful.
    * Software management allows software teams to allocate up to 30% of their time to address technical debt so that products can stay current.
    * Most of the software teams utilize current, relevant technology stacks. The skills that I learn here are portable on the software market.
    * Employees are treated as professionals with minimal micromanagement from above.
    * I feel like my leadership team is willing to listen to my ideas and take them through a fair discussion for potential implementation.
    * Work life balance is exceptional. Management is willing to work with employees who wish to take time off, work from home, etc.

Cons

A few areas of concern:
    * Intra and Inter-team communication isn't always easy since many teams are geographically dispersed.
    * There are some outdated software processes, with relevance in a waterfall model of software development, that are still utilized within in the company.
    * Large contractor base that, in many cases, has built many of the products used by the company. Many of the contractors understand the people, processes, and tools better than ESI's own employees do. I do feel like there is a shift to institutionalize this knowledge since there has been a LOT of hiring within the area that I work.
    * Career path, levels and pay bands, etc. aren't shared with employees so it's a bit difficult for an employee to be certain about the skills and qualification an employee needs to meet to advance and grow within the company.

Advice to Management

Continue moving down the path you've embarked on. The pros I’ve listed FAR outweigh the cons that I’ve listed. My peers and I are excited about the direction the company is going: agile software development, latest tech stack, allowing teams to address their own technical debt, frequent communication, a willingness to listen, etc. are all motivators for software professionals.
    nko

8. "Good people!"

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with.

Cons

Seemed to be a lot of busy work.

9. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Express Scripts (Less than a year)

Pros

Great for people that like to speak with people and can see the potential in everyone.

Cons

Bonuses are really little

10. "Great People"

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time

Pros

Great people, great pay, rewarding work

Cons

Org changes happen too frequently

Showing 247 of 2,330 reviews