Express Scripts Reviews | Glassdoor

Express Scripts President & Chief Executive Officer Tim Wentworth
Tim Wentworth

2,117 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance/ Work From Home ability (in 184 reviews)

• Embracing agile has promoted work life balance (if you want that) or if you want to work more projects you can get involved with other teams (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is struggling to define a work-life balance (in 213 reviews)

• no work life balance despite company rhetoric to the contrary (in 78 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company where technology is a competitive advantage"

Current Employee - IT Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined the technology organization 2 months ago, here are my observations thus far:
    + empowered employees at all levels who are encouraged to challenge the status quo
    + helping clients and patients are truly the focus of the company... a VERY noble mission
    + Alignment at the highest c-suite levels that technology and data is a major competitive advantage
    + little bureaucracy and an org structure that feels flat and like a community. Every employee gets to hear and ask questions to the CIO every other week. No ivory towers.
    + a technologists dream: agile, CI/CD, TDD, cloud (PCF), big data/analytics, mobile and watch apps, hack-a-thons, collaborative workspaces. This is the journey the organization is on.
    + great culture: supporting charities and community service is important; fun at work with ping pong tables, adult coloring murals, March Madness viewing party. Casual dress code is also nice.

Cons

- I've been here two months and can find very little cons. The company has gone through a major cultural transformation over the last 2 years with new C-suite leadership. I did read through the glass door reviews before I accepted my position and I can say that most of the reviews are based on the old culture. I am very glad I joined the Express Scripts team.

Advice to Management

Keep the unwavering focus on the patients and clients. Internally: keep the focus on the employees and their empowerment to make a difference.

2. "A great company with great management team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The benefits are great and they take technology seriously. They managed successfully for projects within budget and on time, which is not often in this field. Even with strict deadline, the employees do not feel the pressure because the management is pretty open.

Cons

The jobs sometimes may be monotonous. Because of good management and division of work, somtimes the work seems to be boring.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for growth for employees to broaden their experience in other areas, either verically or horizontally, more interactions with other department

3. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Lake Mary, FL

Pros

Very flexible, fair and generally a great work environment. I would recommend this place to anybody.

Cons

I left rather quickly to pursue academic opportunities, and the management got a little irritated and apparently placed me on the no rehire list pretty quickly. I warned supervisors and management that I would be departing for nearly nine months. I chalk it up to miscommunication. I do not hold it against them.

Advice to Management

Train more people to work on the web page. :)
    Give the PCCs more tools to perform their jobs.

4. "Good opportunity"

Former Employee - Associate Database Administrator in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Associate Database Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

brought in with little experience and trained up
    paid for SQL classes and certification
    secure job in IT infrastructure

Cons

hard to move from technical to more business-side
    easily boxed in to mundane tasks as an associate DBA

Advice to Management

career swim lanes a new idea right before leaving, i hope it turned out to work well

5. "If you're looking for a career, this is the place for you!!!!"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Marys, GA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Marys, GA

Pros

I had never worked in a call center environment before stepping through the doors of this company, there I was...barely 21 years old, I've onyl had 6 months of experience on the phone and decided that i was going to apply for the TL position that just became available. There were several big time candidates for the position that had gone through their emerging leader role so I was fairly confident that I was not going to get the position, a week goes by and the managers call me into the site one morning to let me know that I got the position as TL!!! This company knows what potential looks like and is willing to give everyone an opportunity to advance as long as your willing to step into the manager's office and get to know them on a day to day basis, I'm not a shy guy..I like to converse with my manager sand I told them everyday what i was goign to do with this company, with no college education...I was given a position to lead other advocates and use my experience to motivate these employees....I've never even kept a job for more than 6 months...Express Scripts is a blessing..not only have I become a team lead, I am now pushing my new advocates who have just hit the floor 2 weeks ago to become emerging leaders and get them opportunites as POC and helping in the new hire class. I went from an advocate barely making my P4P to a salary position almost overnight!!!!This really is a great career!!!!

Cons

None, like I said..as long as you're willing to put the hard work in..you can find opportunites quick and you don't even need previous experience or even knowledge of the job, they will help you succeed by giving you training.....it's a great place to work..believe me!!!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and find more team leads out of your new hire class, they're fresh with ideas and have a more creative point of view being new to the company....

6. "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an Account Manager, I'm afforded the opportunity to work virtually. This has afforded me the opportunity to relocate back to where my extended family is located while continuing to work for a great company.

Cons

Could be a titch more competitive in terms of pay in the industry

Advice to Management

Don't allow or contribute to a culture of favoritism or elitism; don't micromanage - just hire people you know can do the job and work independently!

7. "Prior Authorization Associate"

Current Employee - Prior Authorization in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Prior Authorization in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room to Grow, better building than PCA call center, nice people, great benefits

Cons

The only con is the schedule when you first start might not be ideal, but there are chances to change.

"Very good company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and ability to work from home.

Cons

The expectations are very high.

9. "Plenty of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Automation Service Specialist in Whitestown, IN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Automation Service Specialist in Whitestown, IN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Express Scripts is growing daily. I feel like it is a great company to work for and grow within. They are many opportunities and with such benefits as tuition reimbursement, the possibilities are endless.

Cons

I don't have any downsides to comment on.

Advice to Management

Great job helping your employees grow and develop their career.

10. "So far, everyone has been very nice and professional."

Current Employee - Staff Investigator Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Staff Investigator Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO, 401K with company match, tuition reimbursement, good health benefits.

Cons

Accrued PTO, scheduling is done by an outsourced company

Advice to Management

Great job!

Showing 2,117 of 2,230 reviews