Express Scripts Reviews | Glassdoor

2,119 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2,119 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance/ Work From Home ability (in 184 reviews)

• Embracing agile has promoted work life balance (if you want that) or if you want to work more projects you can get involved with other teams (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is struggling to define a work-life balance (in 213 reviews)

• no work life balance despite company rhetoric to the contrary (in 78 reviews)

"middle management"

Pros

open and helpful, willing to go the distantance

Cons

wondering idealism will continue to hurt company

"Great Co Workers!"

Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate II in Saint Marys, GA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate II in Saint Marys, GA

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got a chance to meet some really cool people. Training was awesome, and they also allow you to have unpaid time off whenever the call volume was low, they call it VTO.

Cons

We were underpaid and understaffed the majority of the time. There was no room for advancement within the company.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Please make sure you hire enough people to cover a shift on a daily basis. Especially during open enrollment season.

"The merger killed a good company (not ESI)"

Former Employee - Speech Analyst in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Speech Analyst in Dublin, OH

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good PTO. Supervisors that care about their team members. Work from home in many positions.

Cons

Different departments, working toward same goal, have no idea what the others are doing. No cohesion between LOBs.

Advice to Management

Stop firing all the excellent people that worked for Medco before the merger. The layoffs are so hard on people and families.

4. "Team leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it great to help people

Cons

don't change nothing there great

Advice to Management

stay great as the management department is.

"Technology Transformation Inspires Engineering Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What can I say Express Scripts has really turned things around. I joined the company with a lot of anxiety and now that I have been here a while I absolutely love my job. No seriously I turned down Google for an engineering manager interview today without thinking. The company is really promoting an engineering culture that is obsessed with automation and doing things right rather than quick. They have removed roadblocks on new technology, and compliance that you typically see in huge fortune 100 companies. Schedules are quite flexible depending on your manager. The projects are very interesting especially as we transform with lots of ability to really make an impact quickly. Embracing agile has promoted work life balance (if you want that) or if you want to work more projects you can get involved with other teams.

Cons

There is lots and lots of ambiguity meaning that you have to be quite good at just driving in a direction and expecting that you may have to backtrack. Building an engineering culture is hard especially when you are dealing with the past leadership teams mistakes that allowed the company to be known as one of the worst to work for. The company is still heavily network driven, ensure that you are promoting technical leadership rather than the good old boys style of leadership that earned us the worst company title. Be wary of transformation hold outs, if you interview ask heavily about what the team is doing to embrace the transformation. If they don't know what your talking about I would run the other direction. Oh yeah there's also only 6 holidays which is terrible, but 20 days PTO so oh well.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the transformation and engineering culture. There are lots of hold outs and middle managers blocking it. Go around the middle management and advertise the transformation to the engineers themselves. Advertise our change and embrace our past. Attend conferences and prove we are building a true technology healthcare company to the world.

6. "Creating the Future of Health Care - So Glad I Joined!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One-of-a kind portfolio of internal hard and soft business assets.
    Leaders are both highly intelligent and kind people.
    Leaders are very focused on employee career development and engagement.

Cons

Continue ongoing focus to ensure remote sites are looped in.

"False Advertising"

Current Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Berkeley, MO
    Current Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Berkeley, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were friendly; benefits started on the first day

Cons

Micromanagement, don't care about employees, don't listen to employees, got rid of the hard working people, supervisors did any and everything to fire people, didn't not communicate important things to employees, no work-life balance, no consistency (shift bids), no advancement, work at home only offered to certain people instead of everyone.

Advice to Management

Fix everything listed above.

"Unstable, Unproductive, Unrelenting Misery"

Current Employee - Benefit Manager
    Current Employee - Benefit Manager

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, payroll is on time

Cons

Incompetent upper management, leadership with no vision, inconsistent management policies across teams, completely dysfunctional for the sake of money. Hard to find time to search for another role because the 10-12 hour days completely drain one's energy.

Advice to Management

Stop restructuring! My division has changed 3 x in 6 years. Just when we begin to do well, with fantastic productivity, the structure and our roles change, crippling productivity and making everyone miserable all over again. Satisfied employees are productive employees. I know of at least 6 employees who are looking for new jobs or trying to post out as we approach 4th quarter; how do you intend to retain clients if you can't retain employees? How would you feel if someone changed your job without asking how you felt? I have had 2 roles here which I never applied for, and while some might say it's better than lay offs, most of us looking for new jobs disagree. The level of disregard for the employees is astounding, and in spite of a decent salary* and working with some very intelligent, hardworking people, leadership's lack of transparency and respect make this a miserable experience, and it doesn't need to be this way. Unfortunately, I suspect ESI will lose some really talented people because the opportunity to move to other areas is very difficult. I thought with the new CEO, Time Wentworth, we might see some improvement but that's not happening.
    *Decent salary - expecting this to change as the previous team was absorbed into a lower level team - anticipate next salary review and bonus pool to be much smaller going forward. Of course, this is not communicated, but we can make deductions based on past behavior. It's all about the bottom line; not clients or patients. Stop trying to make us drink the Kool Aid. You've insulted us enough.

9. "So far loving it!"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Flexibility with hours
    * Great pay
    * 4 weeks of PTO per year that goes up every year
    * Great management support
    * Never expected to work more than 40 hours

Cons

* Parking is kinda painful sometimes

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the speed bumps and get onsite daycare at the Orlando office :D

"Shifting Priorities"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ESI has a lot of the support and structure valued in a large company. Including an adequate benefit package, decent career pathing. ESI is highly ethical and supports a strong diverse work environment.

Cons

ESI appears to be chasing success so much so that priorities and goals change extremely quickly. This erratic environment has led to continuous reorg, staff realignment, and reductions. Therefore the company has a poor morale and lack of stability feel.

Advice to Management

Give strategies a little more time to take hold before dumping and running to the next "big" thing. The continuous shifting feels extremely inefficient and wasteful and keeps employees guessing instead of clear on the path ahead.

Showing 2,119 of 2,232 reviews