Express Scripts Reviews in St. Louis, MO | Glassdoor

3.4
Express Scripts President & Chief Executive Officer Tim Wentworth
Tim Wentworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The ability to work from home when needed is a plus (in 183 reviews)

• Embracing agile has promoted work life balance (if you want that) or if you want to work more projects you can get involved with other teams (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is struggling to define a work-life balance (in 212 reviews)

• no work life balance despite company rhetoric to the contrary (in 78 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company where technology is a competitive advantage"

Current Employee - IT Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Senior Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined the technology organization 2 months ago, here are my observations thus far:
    + empowered employees at all levels who are encouraged to challenge the status quo
    + helping clients and patients are truly the focus of the company... a VERY noble mission
    + Alignment at the highest c-suite levels that technology and data is a major competitive advantage
    + little bureaucracy and an org structure that feels flat and like a community. Every employee gets to hear and ask questions to the CIO every other week. No ivory towers.
    + a technologists dream: agile, CI/CD, TDD, cloud (PCF), big data/analytics, mobile and watch apps, hack-a-thons, collaborative workspaces. This is the journey the organization is on.
    + great culture: supporting charities and community service is important; fun at work with ping pong tables, adult coloring murals, March Madness viewing party. Casual dress code is also nice.

Cons

- I've been here two months and can find very little cons. The company has gone through a major cultural transformation over the last 2 years with new C-suite leadership. I did read through the glass door reviews before I accepted my position and I can say that most of the reviews are based on the old culture. I am very glad I joined the Express Scripts team.

Advice to Management

Keep the unwavering focus on the patients and clients. Internally: keep the focus on the employees and their empowerment to make a difference.

2. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - IT – Infrastructure Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT – Infrastructure Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and competitive pay

Cons

Complex business' have many departments to learn and this makes it hard to find the right avenue to get work done.

3. "Creating the Future of Health Care - So Glad I Joined!"

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One-of-a kind portfolio of internal hard and soft business assets.
    Leaders are both highly intelligent and kind people.
    Leaders are very focused on employee career development and engagement.

Cons

Continue ongoing focus to ensure remote sites are looped in.

"Technology Transformation Inspires Engineering Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What can I say Express Scripts has really turned things around. I joined the company with a lot of anxiety and now that I have been here a while I absolutely love my job. No seriously I turned down Google for an engineering manager interview today without thinking. The company is really promoting an engineering culture that is obsessed with automation and doing things right rather than quick. They have removed roadblocks on new technology, and compliance that you typically see in huge fortune 100 companies. Schedules are quite flexible depending on your manager. The projects are very interesting especially as we transform with lots of ability to really make an impact quickly. Embracing agile has promoted work life balance (if you want that) or if you want to work more projects you can get involved with other teams.

Cons

There is lots and lots of ambiguity meaning that you have to be quite good at just driving in a direction and expecting that you may have to backtrack. Building an engineering culture is hard especially when you are dealing with the past leadership teams mistakes that allowed the company to be known as one of the worst to work for. The company is still heavily network driven, ensure that you are promoting technical leadership rather than the good old boys style of leadership that earned us the worst company title. Be wary of transformation hold outs, if you interview ask heavily about what the team is doing to embrace the transformation. If they don't know what your talking about I would run the other direction. Oh yeah there's also only 6 holidays which is terrible, but 20 days PTO so oh well.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the transformation and engineering culture. There are lots of hold outs and middle managers blocking it. Go around the middle management and advertise the transformation to the engineers themselves. Advertise our change and embrace our past. Attend conferences and prove we are building a true technology healthcare company to the world.

5. "Great place but expect to manage management"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have a great health benefit package and a very low cost to you. You have a full time job, with seldom mandatory time off. You acquire 6 hours of PTO per week and you can request that time online. Bonus' are based on performance. I was number 1 in my department, got about a 800 bonus every 4 weeks.

Cons

The call center space is bigger than a football field. You will have a small cubicle and work in a row of about 15 other techs. They are very strict about little things, because management does not know how to manage in a way that increases production. Don't think this is your easy hourly job. Anytime you leave your desk you must be using your 30 minutes of allotted time for break. The sups can see when you are not at your desk and in production and you can get written up for being even a minute late. You will be on the phone all day, so if doing repetitive things are not for you then this is not the job. One of the biggest cons is the Pharmacy Tech license. Although the tech transcribe Rx's there is NO REQUIREMENT TO BE NATIONALLY CERTIFIED to work here. So if you ever want a different Pharmacy Tech job you will have to obtain that national certification. This is something that Express Scripts does not offer nor do they encourage, because no one is actually required (at the aforementioned pay grade) to get that training. I've seen people write the wrong directions on an Rx (without out any training mind you) and be fired.

Advice to Management

The managers discourage advancement in the company. A girl with a business degree tried to advance to a business position instead of being a call center sup, and instead of giving the girl the position the manager told inquiring manager not to hire this girl 6 times. The woman did not get the job until the manager got a promoted out of the company. Everyone pretty much acts like they are in high school because no one has any real responsibility. They hire 80 people to do a job that should only take 40, and have no care if the 60 of those people are performing below satisfactory. The management team is just not suitable or well trained enough to handle managing in a way that improves their employees. One manager even said, 'making sure they succeed is not my job, only myself'. Most of these ladies used to work in the call center themselves, being promoted with no experience. They need help in this area desperately.

6. "Business Analyst"

Former Contractor - IT Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - IT Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Good environment. Good peers.

Cons

Contracted employees are not given advance notice before their project is marked complete.

7. "Great place to work"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good pay fun place to work

Cons

Bad corporate environment, managers go off on people in front of other employees. If your a contractor it could be years before they hire you if at all.

Advice to Management

Take some training on how to handle employees, get a grip.

"Senior Director"

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Noble mission, very talented leaders, competitive comp structure

Cons

extremely unsettled, continuous layovers and re-organizations, senior leadership great at cutting costs, but have little concern for people and culture, great deal of politics

Advice to Management

Settle on a plan and vision, you are losing very talented people because of the chaos.

9. "Legal Secretary"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, career advancement opportunities, training, flexible hours, great benefits. ESI is doing great things for its members and employees!

Cons

Since I have to say something, I'd say fewer paid holidays than other places; however, that's the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!

"Sr. Pharmacy Technician"

Current Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, if full time guaranteed 40 hours, PTO

Cons

Micro management, favoritism, little opportunity for growth, supervisors rarely listen.......etc etc

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees and follow up on complaints asap

Showing 473 of 2,204 reviews